Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 07:11 PM

43,106 posts, read 18,269,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I like Taiwan and its people. But there is no way I’m supporting a war against China if it takes that island. Biden might be bluffing. I’m hoping China won’t be willing to create an incident over a country that it already has a great deal of influence over. No one would “win” in a war between the US and China.
well you don't get a choice. I just wonder if we're going to fight China while we fight Russia (via proxy Ukraine).

Here's a tidbit to chew on....

Why did the US spend most of 2021 taunting China and Russia with NATO "war games" in these two country's back yard ?

Ukraine wargames is out there...biggest war-game ever done by NATO....in the Black Sea. If you were Russia wouldn't you get upset.

And China....that wasn't a big one:
https://nypost.com/2021/03/11/us-war...defeat-report/

And then Pelosi with "I'm going to Taiwan" and then suddenly getting covid when China said "you better not do that". And a few Congress critters showed up anyway to shake hands and trigger China even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2022, 09:31 PM

170 posts, read 60,004 times
china already consider US intervention in taiwan, since 96 strait crisis. thats why they are upgrading their military, otherwise they would invade taiwan years ago. but the issues is if china invade taiwan after 2035+, their military will reach US parity, and it will cost alot US casualty to intervene. their military is catching up both in quantity and quality.

Old 05-23-2022, 09:58 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Best of Luck with that.

"The remarks seem to be a departure from the US's longstanding policy of "strategic ambiguity" in its response to a potential Chinese invasion" - Sky News.

US will defend Taiwan if China attacks, says Biden - Sky News

Perhaps geriatrics Joe and Nancy want to drag us all down to hell with them.
That was my thought too. I’m sure we have always planned on defending Taiwan and that is probably the right thing to do. However it was foolish of Biden to tell the Chinese what we would do in the event of an attack. Keeping a strong deterrent force in place and keeping tight lipped about our intentions has worked for decades. He says things he should not because he is incompetent. He should never be allowed near world leaders nor should he be permitted to speak without a script. His words carry the weight of the United States but he is unfortunately incapacitated.

Old 05-24-2022, 06:52 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
That was my thought too. I’m sure we have always planned on defending Taiwan and that is probably the right thing to do. However it was foolish of Biden to tell the Chinese what we would do in the event of an attack. Keeping a strong deterrent force in place and keeping tight lipped about our intentions has worked for decades. He says things he should not because he is incompetent. He should never be allowed near world leaders nor should he be permitted to speak without a script. His words carry the weight of the United States but he is unfortunately incapacitated.

The US is now back walking the comments once again, as Mr Dementia seems to be confused by actual US policy.

According to political commentators Biden meant providing weapons, not deploying boots on the ground or becoming involved in a war with China.

The Chinese could who have now stated that the 'US is playing with fire and will get burned', may well just call Biden's bluff and attack Taiwan, which is 100 miles off it's coast, and which the US would find it difficult to defend or to establish a supply chain.

US ‘playing with fire’ on Taiwan, China warns: Xinhua - Aljazeera

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian

"President’s blunt response appears to undercut US ‘strategic ambiguity’ on Taiwan as White House forced to walk back remarks".

After Biden made the remark at a joint press conference on Monday with the Japanese prime minister, Fumio Kishida, an aide said the president’s statement represented no change in the longstanding American stance to the island. A source told CNN that Biden meant providing weapons, not deploying boots on the ground.

But with the Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson, Wang Wenbin, expressing “strong dissatisfaction and resolute opposition” to Biden’s comments, such clean-ups look increasingly untenable.

Richard Haass, president of the Council on Foreign Relations thinktank in Washington, tweeted: “This is the third time Potus has spoken out in favor of strategic clarity on Taiwan and third time WH staff has tried to walk it back. Better to embrace it as new US stance, one that is fully consistent with one-China policy but that alters how US will go about implementing it.”

Glaser, of the the German Marshall Fund, added in a Twitter post: “A senior official from the Biden administration should give a comprehensive speech on US policy toward Taiwan. The confusion and misstatements are more likely to undermine deterrence than strengthen it.”

Biden’s Taiwan vow creates confusion not clarity – and raises China tensions - The Guardian

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-24-2022 at 07:13 AM..

Old 05-24-2022, 07:38 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,794,281 times
Relax. Biden didn't mean it. Again. But instead of strategic ambiguity he seems to be sowing confusion:

https://www.newsmax.com/headline/bid...24/id/1071231/

Maybe he's confused himself? It would fit in with his other actions.

Old 05-24-2022, 07:43 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:

The US is now back walking the comments once again, as Mr Dementia seems to be confused by actual US policy.

According to political commentators Biden meant providing weapons, not deploying boots on the ground or becoming involved in a war with China.

The Chinese could who have now stated that the 'US is playing with fire and will get burned', may well just call Biden's bluff and attack Taiwan, which is 100 miles off it's coast, and which the US would find it difficult to defend or to establish a supply chain.

US ‘playing with fire’ on Taiwan, China warns: Xinhua - Aljazeera
Funny that you are so aggressive with Russia, but with China you sound exactly like Putin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Relax. Biden didn't mean it. Again. But instead of strategic ambiguity he seems to be sowing confusion:

https://www.newsmax.com/headline/bid...24/id/1071231/

Maybe he's confused himself? It would fit in with his other actions.
Once may be confusion, but several times is a confirmation.

The so-called "walk back" didn't even deny what he spoke. The only thing they every say is their policy never changed. Yes, the policy never changed, it was always that the US would come into Taiwan's defence. China might be evil but they are not that stupid to buy the confusion excuse.

Old 05-24-2022, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Funny that you are so aggressive with Russia, but with China you sound exactly like Putin.

Once may be confusion, but several times is a confirmation.

The so-called "walk back" didn't even deny what he spoke. The only thing they every say is their policy never changed. Yes, the policy never changed, it was always that the US would come into Taiwan's defence. China might be evil but they are not that stupid to buy the confusion excuse.
All I have done is post a link showing that the US has walked back on what Biden said.

As for Ukraine, I have never supported direct NATO involvement, whilst i terms if China the US policy has always been to supply weapons but not to get involved in a war.

If Biden, Pelosi, Harris etc want a war with China then best of luck with it, as it will not involve Britain or NATO, just as Vietnam didn't.

Old 05-24-2022, 08:03 AM

Quote:
All I have done is post a link showing that the US has walked back on what Biden said.

As for Ukraine, I have never supported direct NATO involvement, whilst i terms if China the US policy has always been to supply weapons but not to get involved in a war.

If Biden, Pelosi, Harris etc want a war with China then best of luck with it, as it will not involve Britain or NATO, just as Vietnam didn't.
Don't you worry. No one expects European cowards to be of any use. We all know NATO is basically several hunks of dead meat hanging by the thread of US military. The fact that Taiwanese armed forces would be like the third largest military if we were in NATO is all one needs to know about how much use European countries would be in a crisis.

Old 05-24-2022, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Don't you worry. No one expects European cowards to be of any use. We all know NATO is basically several hunks of dead meat hanging by the thread of US military. The fact that Taiwanese armed forces would be like the third largest military if we were in NATO is all one needs to know about how much use European countries would be in a crisis.
Best of Luck with the War with China.

I think Bidens disgusting disgrace of a cowardly pull out by the US in Afghanistan was enough for most US allies, although it now seems Biden wants a war with China.

Afghanistan population 39 million

China population 1.4 billion

Vietnam population in 1960 -33 million

Taiwan is also only a hundred miles off the Chinese coast, and the US would have no way of sustaining a supply chain.

The US is the one making threats and backing down, the Chinese have merely stated that the US is playing with fire and will get burnt.

Old 05-24-2022, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Best of Luck with the War with China.

I think Bidens disgusting disgrace of a cowardly pull out by the US in Afghanistan was enough for most US allies, although it now seems Biden wants a war with China.
The US stayed in Afghanistan for 20 years and spent trillions of dollar there. Idk why people keep using this as an example that the US wouldn't defend Taiwan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies