Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2022, 10:54 AM

2,612 posts, read 929,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
No one is saying that.

But certainly we need to re-examine prescribing SSRI’s to those under age 26, as well as the myriad ADHD meds, often starting at age 6. Low dose mood stabilizers for example can be prescribed off-label for depression without the risks that SSRIs have. More research is being done into electrical brain stimulation, the brain-gut connection, and so forth.
This doesnt really sound like a solution or something leading to a solution. Not that it is a bad thing, better treatment for mental health disorders is always a good thing. But I would imagine anyone who would perform a school shooting is also probably someone who had issues that would lead to them being prescribed medication. That doesnt mean the medication caused it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2022, 11:04 AM

4,391 posts, read 1,701,158 times
So the problem is mental health... (It really isn't), so what are we going to do about it? When are we going to start taking mental health seriously, and start funding treatment, and stop vilifying mental illness so that we can stop all these shootings? The 1979 San Diego school shooting was a looooooong time ago, and here we are still talking about mental health, but not really doing anything serious about it. As a matter of fact, when we TRY to do something serious (like Social emotional learning, etc), people come out and attack it, saying it's indoctrination, etc. So when are we actually going to do something about it? When are we going to fund it? When are we going to take it seriously?

Old 05-25-2022, 11:10 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
This doesnt really sound like a solution or something leading to a solution. Not that it is a bad thing, better treatment for mental health disorders is always a good thing. But I would imagine anyone who would perform a school shooting is also probably someone who had issues that would lead to them being prescribed medication. That doesnt mean the medication caused it.
Of course, correlation isn’t necessarily causation. But the link in this case is evident, which is why there is a big black box warning people about them. SSRI’s cause violent reactions in non-violent people. That is a fact.

If 18 out of 20 mass shooters are on SSRI’s, examining the role of the brain altering medication is a better solution that trying to take guns away from tens of millions of law abiding citizens.

Furthermore, it is evident you didn’t read the article I linked. It is useless discussing the issue with you until you read the article.

Old 05-25-2022, 11:35 AM

2,612 posts, read 929,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Of course, correlation isn’t necessarily causation. But the link in this case is evident, which is why there is a big black box warning people about them. SSRI’s cause violent reactions in non-violent people. That is a fact.

If 18 out of 20 mass shooters are on SSRI’s, examining the role of the brain altering medication is a better solution that trying to take guns away from tens of millions of law abiding citizens.

Furthermore, it is evident you didn’t read the article I linked. It is useless discussing the issue with you until you read the article.
it isnt a great article but ultimately it is a guy (who I couldnt figure out what his qualifications were) saying that SSRI's may increase aggression. Why was it so important to read that article? The guy doesnt seem in any way clininal so he is just presenting things in his own preferred way and sometimes gives you a little more detail when it appears to work for him or only gives you a quick "statistic" without support. He even cites individual examples which seems silly but I guess he feels he is dealing with a relatively simple audience.

I dont really see how a solution comes out of what you are talking about. Even if you could blame the medication, it is still a small % of the group, you are going to take this category of medication from many millions of people for the tiny % of mass shooters?

Old 05-25-2022, 11:36 AM

37,222 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
of course the usual talking heads and political leaders get on air and scream for more gun laws.

I am a kid of the 70s/80s. We did not have these issues back then. If we did, it was extremely rare and the shooter had MENTAL and/or EMOTIONAL issues. When are we as a nation going to look and see what has changed in the last 40 years? We had weaker gun laws back then and did not have shooting like this.
How about both...?

Also, anything else necessary to stop it.

Old 05-25-2022, 11:44 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,254,101 times
Not like today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
These problems existed back then too.

Today they are just covered wall to wall and we have social media as well.

Regardless of era, there will always be nutcases who decide to act out on evil. As a country, we can't base our laws on the whims of nutcases.

Crime and killing has existed since the beginning of mankind.

Old 05-25-2022, 11:47 AM

Bullying on social media.

Happened to my neighbor across the street who was going to shoot up the local high school.

Luckily his friend called the police in time and stopped it. Story made world news

Quote:
So what if they have greater access to electronics? How does that make a childhood more dangerous? That is simply a matter of older people associating new things with negativity. I enjoyed a relatively carefree childhood as did most children but there was plenty of bullying of various sorts, plenty. Now there is some online bullying but that is just a new wrinkle on an old problem not an indication of a greater problem. I look back at attitudes during my childhood regarding how children treated one another and the attitudes I see in my children today and they seem to have a much better attitude about it then what we did growing up.

Old 05-25-2022, 11:48 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times
Quote:
it isnt a great article but ultimately it is a guy (who I couldnt figure out what his qualifications were) saying that SSRI's may increase aggression. Why was it so important to read that article? The guy doesnt seem in any way clininal so he is just presenting things in his own preferred way and sometimes gives you a little more detail when it appears to work for him or only gives you a quick "statistic" without support. He even cites individual examples which seems silly but I guess he feels he is dealing with a relatively simple audience.
For one thing, the article has hyperlinks that take you to studies conducted in multiple countries. I guess the language needs to be obscure for you to be impressed?

Quote:
Even if you could blame the medication, it is still a small % of the group, you are going to take this category of medication from many millions of people for the tiny % of mass shooters?
Think about what you are saying, geez.

YOU apparently want to take guns from many millions of people because of the tiny percentage of mass shooters.

Why is it OK to take away firearms but not extremely dangerous medication?

Old 05-25-2022, 11:49 AM

screaming knee jerk reactions "more gun laws" isn't solving anything. It seems the left only wants to cure the symptom and not the cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
So the problem is mental health... (It really isn't), so what are we going to do about it? When are we going to start taking mental health seriously, and start funding treatment, and stop vilifying mental illness so that we can stop all these shootings? The 1979 San Diego school shooting was a looooooong time ago, and here we are still talking about mental health, but not really doing anything serious about it. As a matter of fact, when we TRY to do something serious (like Social emotional learning, etc), people come out and attack it, saying it's indoctrination, etc. So when are we actually going to do something about it? When are we going to fund it? When are we going to take it seriously?

Old 05-25-2022, 11:51 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
That happened in my home town. My parent's postwoman was killed. That was 1986. We had the McDonald's San Ysidro shooting and several others in the 1980s. Luby's cafeteria got shot up in Killeen, Tx in 1991.

The mass shooting thing seemed to start with those events in the '80s.
To me, the mass shooting incidents started at the Texas Tower shooting in 1965, which killed 14. The guy who did it had mental health issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies