Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2022, 09:51 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,253,620 times

Advertisements

Trump has attended in past NRA conventions.
I think he spoke at the 2019 event.
Same issue? The secret service was a-ok then?
And then he was actually the president - like he had a real job in running the country. Now, not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2022, 10:41 AM

7,824 posts, read 4,565,821 times
In related news: Lee Greenwood has announced he will not be performing at the convention as was planned.

If the stink is so overwhelming that Greenwood is taking a pass showing up at your flag wavin', gun totin' convention you've got more troubles than you know.

I'm looking forward to all you keyboard patriots to start trashing Greenwood as some soy-boy lefty...

Last edited by take57; 05-27-2022 at 11:31 AM..

Old 05-27-2022, 11:23 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
One can accept that those laws exist and still think that they are wrong.
of course, but they do exist and they're not going anywhere.

The work is in getting reasonable "red flag" laws for example, not being diametrically opposed to them on principle.

Old 05-27-2022, 11:32 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,762 times
by the way, I forgot to address this...
Quote:
Do YOU own a gun? Just curious, if someone kicks in your door tonight, what will you do to stop it?

And I apologize for being snarky earlier, I had like 30 pre-cancerous spots burned off earlier and it's 109 outside here and I'm not in the best mood.
As noted, I do not currently own a gun. My major "safety plan" is to a)live in a very safe suburban location and b) have a dog that might bark and c) wield a non-gun weapon, unless the intruder had one for some reason in which case I'll hope merely they run away scared or are OK by taking what they want and running away.

How many occupied homes are burglarized each year where a gun is brandished by the criminal?

oh, and I hope all the tests/biopsies, etc are negative for you.

Old 05-27-2022, 11:39 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,965,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
of course, but they do exist and they're not going anywhere.

The work is in getting reasonable "red flag" laws for example, not being diametrically opposed to them on principle.
The left is diametrically opposed to them. Really, anyone who likes freedom is.

These are things that "sound" good on the surface, but as soon as the details are exposed, support goes away.

You have to be able to look 1 step beyond the surface.

Are you going to give your pertinent medial information to the FED? If the FED has it, then obviously your employer would want it, right? What about your creditors?

How long would this stuff stay there? What happens the first time someone is murdered after being denied the right to purchase a firearm for self defense?

What happens the first time someone goes nuts at their job and kills people and the job didn't have access to this "red flag" database and the company gets sued?

What happens when a black kid who did something bad when he was 18 is denied for a job at 28 because of his "red flag?"

What kind of Chinese CCP social credit system are you pining for? You're a free person, living (I presume) in the greatest country in the world. Why are you submitting so hard to your government like you're some sort of subject that needs their permission to obtain your unalienable rights?

Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, and John Adams would be disappointed in you.

Old 05-27-2022, 11:40 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,965,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
by the way, I forgot to address this...

As noted, I do not currently own a gun. My major "safety plan" is to a)live in a very safe suburban location and b) have a dog that might bark and c) wield a non-gun weapon, unless the intruder had one for some reason in which case I'll hope merely they run away scared or are OK by taking what they want and running away.

How many occupied homes are burglarized each year where a gun is brandished by the criminal?

oh, and I hope all the tests/biopsies, etc are negative for you.
Exactly. Your plan is to pray, hope, and submit. That's not acceptable to many people.

Old 05-27-2022, 11:43 AM

7,824 posts, read 4,565,821 times
But wait, there's more...

Hot Wheels, Cornyn and Crenshaw have announced they are skipping out as well.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/lee-gr...chool-shooting

Maybe they can get Chachi to fill in. I understand his calendar is pretty open these days...

Old 05-27-2022, 01:41 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,253,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
So Abbott can still give a speech. I would love to hear what he has to say. Yeah!
He did have a taped message for the NRA convention.
He said
"There are more people that are shot every weekend in Chicago than there are in school shootings in Texas," Abbott said. "And we need to realize that, people who think that, 'Well, maybe if we implement tougher gun laws, it’s going to solve it,' Chicago, L.A. and New York disprove that thesis.”

So there you have it.
Look over there everyone.
Texas is just great.

Old 05-27-2022, 03:04 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
He did have a taped message for the NRA convention.
He said
"There are more people that are shot every weekend in Chicago than there are in school shootings in Texas," Abbott said. "And we need to realize that, people who think that, 'Well, maybe if we implement tougher gun laws, it’s going to solve it,' Chicago, L.A. and New York disprove that thesis.”

So there you have it.
Look over there everyone.
Texas is just great.
So, there are no daily killings in those cities? I guess that's O.K., as long as it's just 1 or 2 people.

Old 05-27-2022, 03:50 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
In related news: Lee Greenwood has announced he will not be performing at the convention as was planned.

If the stink is so overwhelming that Greenwood is taking a pass showing up at your flag wavin', gun totin' convention you've got more troubles than you know.

I'm looking forward to all you keyboard patriots to start trashing Greenwood as some soy-boy lefty...
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
But wait, there's more...

Hot Wheels, Cornyn and Crenshaw have announced they are skipping out as well.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/lee-gr...chool-shooting

Maybe they can get Chachi to fill in. I understand his calendar is pretty open these days...
Not sure what your point is? If the shooting did not happen, they would be there. What did you want the NRA to do, cancel the entire event?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies