Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2022, 08:08 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
In the past year, we had a "gun on campus" scare on on of my own campuses, and the same in a neighboring district. Both times, it was other students who saw something and reported it. In one case, they found guns, etc., at the home and arrested the student. In the other, no gun was ever found. People ARE reporting when they see something suspicious, we just never hear about them. We only seem to hear about it when the gunman actually makes it on campus and fires.
It's like w/ our Intelligence agencies...we don't hear about the wins...when they successfully infiltrate and stop potential terrorist attacks and what not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2022, 08:44 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
See, this is an example of a bi-partisan solution to an issue that is having real results.

PSA campaigns to increase alertness and prevent problems.

The whole gangs\drugs issue that generates most of the "child shootings" problem isn't going to be helped the same way.

That's the entire problem. Whenever a shooting happens the politicians don't try to address real solutions, they go immediately for using it as a political attack.

You can't keep fentanyl, heroin and crack out of the hands of the gangs, you're not going to stop them from getting guns while taking them away from those following the law.

Old 05-26-2022, 08:55 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Just curious. Would the same happen, if it were AR-15, not Ak-47? Hope, you get the slight political scent difference between the two..
I have no clue how they are different. I have no clue what they are.

Why does it matter?

Can they fire ammunition quickly and a lot kill of people in a short time frame?

Old 05-26-2022, 09:04 AM

5,994 posts, read 3,731,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I have no clue how they are different. I have no clue what they are.

Why does it matter?

Can they fire ammunition quickly and a lot kill of people in a short time frame?
I knew that Ukrhoz's statement would go over the heads of about 95% of the readers. The implication is that an AK-47 is evil because it is a commonly used rifle in many foreign countries which aren't necessarily friendly to the US while the AR-15 is a very common (similar) rifle that is widely used in the US.

Old 05-26-2022, 09:30 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I knew that Ukrhoz's statement would go over the heads of about 95% of the readers. The implication is that an AK-47 is evil because it is a commonly used rifle in many foreign countries which aren't necessarily friendly to the US while the AR-15 is a very common (similar) rifle that is widely used in the US.
Because guns are of no interest to me means I'm not intelligent or curious enough to figure it out?

Why does it matter to anybody but the Gun Humpers who start getting really specific about guns each time there is a massacre.

The rest of us have enough brains to know that it is just the gun jumpers way to deflect or gaslight.

Old 05-26-2022, 10:37 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Every mass shooting inspires others to engage in mass shootings.
That’s progress - we usually find out after these horrible events that there were Social Media warnings & a variety of people thought something was wrong and didn’t speak up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I agree. It’s such a difficult issue to solve because there are so many pieces to it. This is definitely one.
This is another one - A program called “Say Something”, developed by a group called Sandy Hook Promise.
Houston, TX uses it, Dallas, TX just announced they will soon be using it.

Say Something Tips See It. Report It.
The Say Something Anonymous Reporting System allows you to submit secure, anonymous safety concerns to help someone who may hurt themselves or others.

Why is this different? It’s set up to be anonymous and even has an APP the students can put on their phones along with their other education APPS.

What Should You Report?

You can help save lives by reporting observed threats, behaviors, actions, and harassment. Here are examples of some of the most common behaviors and incidents to report:

Acts of violence, with or without weapons
Verbal or physical abuse, assault or harassment
Sexual abuse, assault or harassment
Threats seen on social media
Bullying, fighting, harassment or intimidating behaviors
Bragging about weapons or a planned attack
Depression, anxiety or loss of self-control
Hopelessness, excessive guilt or worthlessness
Reckless behavior, theft and petty crimes
Social isolation or withdrawal
Substance or alcohol abuse
Suicide threats, cutting or other self-harm
Any other troubling situation or behavior

I will be contacting my City Council, Superintendent & School Board about this program.
I already know the Schools have a significant amount of money available IF they haven’t spent it all on .bonuses and raises. They are supposed to be addressing hardening the Schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
It's like w/ our Intelligence agencies...we don't hear about the wins...when they successfully infiltrate and stop potential terrorist attacks and what not.
A List of recent Success Stories stopping School shootings

These are reported locally — but of no interest to National Media.

And now there is this - Democrats pushing a Bill that would de-fund SRO Programs - for Spite.
It won’t go anywhere, they won’t even get other Democrats to vote for this.

Dems Outraged About Texas Shooting Pushed Bill To Defund School Police Protection-Daily Caller

Old 05-26-2022, 10:44 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Another SRO success story just today from California.

California Police Arrest Teenager For Threatening To Shoot Up Two Schools

Somebody made a report - it’s key to monitor and know who to monitor these wannabe killers before they strike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies