Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2022, 08:08 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
No question that professional team salaries are dependent on league revenue. Professional leagues are in business to make a profit like any other kind of business. The national/Olympic team might be an exception if the government is subsidizing them. Keep in mind that U.S. women's soccer has been much more successful on the world level than U.S. men's soccer.

Regarding women's basketball, how many women's games have you attended? There is a large following but it will never compare to men's basketball. Keep in mind that half the population are female and many of them have played sports in high school and college. Both my daughters played high school basketball. One daughter and a niece played college basketball. I've attended hundreds of women's HS, D-1, D-II, and D-III basketball games and I can confirm that attendance is a fraction of men's basketball at all levels
More recent success by womens soccer still doesn’t equate to more revenue compared to mens soccer. Womens sports simply don’t draw near the attention and revenue of mens sports.

None on a pro level, and I couldn’t be paid to go to a womens basketball game unless I had a friend or family member participating.

Average attendance is a disgrace. https://www.statista.com/statistics/...am-attendance/
Define large following? TV ratings? Revenue brought in via advertisers, ticket sales, etc…?

Just because half the population is female doesn’t mean many of them are watching womens basketball, and the attendance shows very few folks care.

Last edited by erieguy; 07-07-2022 at 08:31 PM..

Old 07-07-2022, 08:13 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,300,804 times
Quote:
No question that professional team salaries are dependent on league revenue. Professional leagues are in business to make a profit like any other kind of business. The national/Olympic team might be an exception if the government is subsidizing them. Keep in mind that U.S. women's soccer has been much more successful on the world level than U.S. men's soccer.

Regarding women's basketball, how many women's games have you attended? There is a large following but it will never compare to men's basketball. Keep in mind that half the population are female and many of them have played sports in high school and college. Both my daughters played high school basketball. One daughter and a niece played college basketball. I've attended hundreds of women's HS, D-1, D-II, and D-III basketball games and I can confirm that attendance is a fraction of men's basketball at all levels.

I would closely monitor State Department warnings about any country before traveling there.

You are not comparing apples to apples. There are more American men playing professional basketball overseas. There are more WNBA players than NBA players playing overseas. See the difference?
The NBA subsidizes the WNBA, and even though it is a financial loss for the NBA, they continue to subsidize as it brings female interest into the game of Basketball.
Currently there is a pro female Hockey league that is struggling and eventually the NHL will subsidize that as well to bring female interest into the game of Ice Hockey.

Old 07-07-2022, 08:29 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
Russia doesn't recognized Privilege Card. I'm sure they laughed.
Pretty much this^^^. I reckon she's finding out quick fast and in a hurry that she's not "special" in any way in Russia. Way less than. Fact of the matter is she is being discriminated against on the basis of color national origin and sexual preference and nobody in Russia gives a fart in a high wind.

I'm willing to bet credits to Navy beans she's missing all the "systemic racism" and discriminatory aspects of the US judicial system right about now. I don't see the Russians caring much about the Rainbow Coalition's opinion of her circumstances either. I don't feel sorry for her. Don't envy her but still don't feel sorry for her.

Russian prison is no country club. The worst or the worst of US prisons is still 4 full grades above the best Russian one.

Old 07-07-2022, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
Russia doesn't recognized Privilege Card. I'm sure they laughed.
Bingo…and it’s also funny how folks are making her out to be the martyr and think she should be released. Good riddance to her and her entitlement. Let her serve the time she deserves for being stupid.

Old 07-07-2022, 08:39 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Maybe a few years in a Russian slammer will have her begging to return to the land of “systemic racism”

Old 07-07-2022, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Maybe a few years in a Russian slammer will have her begging to return to the land of “systemic racism”
Funny how she wants to come back to such a terrible country

Old 07-07-2022, 09:28 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
You are not comparing apples to apples. There are more American men playing professional basketball overseas. There are more WNBA players than NBA players playing overseas. See the difference?

You know that for a fact? You got numbers?

Old 07-07-2022, 09:31 PM

938 posts, read 424,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Pretty much this^^^. I reckon she's finding out quick fast and in a hurry that she's not "special" in any way in Russia. Way less than. Fact of the matter is she is being discriminated against on the basis of color national origin and sexual preference and nobody in Russia gives a fart in a high wind.

I'm willing to bet credits to Navy beans she's missing all the "systemic racism" and discriminatory aspects of the US judicial system right about now. I don't see the Russians caring much about the Rainbow Coalition's opinion of her circumstances either. I don't feel sorry for her. Don't envy her but still don't feel sorry for her.

Russian prison is no country club. The worst or the worst of US prisons is still 4 full grades above the best Russian one.
Thumbs up post. Thank you. Reped you.

Old 07-07-2022, 10:00 PM

17,586 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
America is funding and arming Ukraine, Russia doesn’t have to do anything.

And Biden isn’t going to exchange hardened Russian criminals for her. Or maybe he’s dumb enough to do it.

He is dumb enough to do it

Old 07-07-2022, 10:02 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
You know that for a fact? You got numbers?
The only NBA players playing overseas are free agents looking to sign with an NBA team. Here is the list:

NBA Players Abroad

There are a lot of D-I and D-II, and even a few D-III players playing overseas. I've known a few, and know someone who has coached overseas for over 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies