Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should firearms be banned for persons under 21?
Yes. 58 29.29%
Yes, but only if voting age is raised to 21 as well. 31 15.66%
No. 104 52.53%
All firearms should be made illegal, get rid of all guns. 5 2.53%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2022, 06:37 AM

59,138 posts, read 27,349,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
In your example, YOUR shotgun was a semiautomatic wasn't it.

You completely ignored the point I was making that an automatic or semiautomatic weapon can obviously be used to kill more people per minute than a single shot weapon.

That is why so many of us think those weapons should be better regulated... to at least try to keep them away from the crazies and immature.

You have posted many reasons why other people's ideas won't work or are no good.

What ideas do you have for reducing the number of mass shootings?

Btw, the hot shot who practices with a revolver to be the fastest at his local gun club is not likely to go shoot up a school. Doesn't fit the profile.
"You completely ignored the point I was making"
I did NOT ignore it. I DIDN'T get it!

Next time, make yourself clearer.

"That is why so many of us think those weapons should be better regulated"

NOT the problem

... to at least try to keep them away from the crazies and immature."

BINGO!

IMO, you are looking in the wrong directions.

It is NOT an object, it is the HUMAN BEING.

ALL of these shootings have 1 thing in common, the person doing the shooting had a RECORD of mental INSTABILITY.

ALWAYS, go to the SOURCE!

"Btw, the hot shot who practices with a revolver to be the fastest at his local gun club is not likely to go shoot up a school."

How do we know when a person is going to "snap"? Being it be a teenager or a 30 year old, etc.

THAT is the million dollar question!

Last edited by Quick Enough; 06-02-2022 at 06:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2022, 06:55 AM

6,998 posts, read 2,715,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I must disagree.

I do not know the exact statistics for this, but, there are many recruits who do not make it through basic training.

"producing proof of sanity" that would be difficult for people at any age.
Even at the height of WW2, the military rejected a percentage of applicants as being "mentally unfit" to serve.

Old 06-02-2022, 07:04 AM

1,141 posts, read 450,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingsToValhalla View Post
I'm in favor of banning under 21'ers from buying or owning firearms.
Humans' brains continue to mature until their early 20s.
Teenagers make too many irrational & impulsive decisions.

I think a under 21 ban would help prevent some of these school shootings done by teenagers and help prevent some teen suicides.

I'm also in favor of increasing the voting age to 21 as well.
As I stated, the human brain does not fully mature until a person is in their 20's.
If we can't trust teenagers with alcohol or guns, why should we trust them with voting?
Fine, then let's take away their voting rights too. If they are not fully matured enough to own a gun, then they are not people capable of voting, choosing their own gender, driving a car, or serving in the military.

On the other hand, we could just give everyone an IQ test and ban idiots from those things, and allow the smart people to make the decisions that affect all Americans. Of course that would almost completely empty the halls of congress, the white house and most judges appointments. We have become a nation ruled by idiots based on check marks. Let's fire the stupid and hire the smart. That would end the majority of problems in America today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies