Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should firearms be banned for persons under 21?
Yes. 58 29.29%
Yes, but only if voting age is raised to 21 as well. 31 15.66%
No. 104 52.53%
All firearms should be made illegal, get rid of all guns. 5 2.53%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2022, 07:40 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,969,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
I remember my 14 year old brother going out, some mornings before school, with his shotgun, hunting whatever small game was in season. Whatever he shot was dinner for our widowed mother and us 3 children. He just turned 80 last month, and in the intervening 66 years he never once committed a crime, shot anyone, did any harm to any other person or property. (On the other hand, if you were a rabbit or squirrel or, later on, a deer, you were in big trouble..)

So all this hand wringing and pearl clutching is just social theater, with zero positive benefit.
The world back then was different in so many ways. So many fewer people, less crowding, etc. There also were no automatc or semiautomatic weapons available to the general public. Machine guns were outlawed back then.

Don't confuse that world with today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2022, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
For every one teen shooter there are hundreds of thousands if not millions of kids that enjoy the shooting sports responsibly and safely with their moms and dads. These kids would never dream of shooting anyone let alone a classroom full of kids.

I do agree that handguns should be out of reach for people under 21 and maybe semi auto rifles with detachable magazines should be too? Then again what the gun grabbers fail to realize is that a shotgun at close range is a far more deadly weapon than an AR15. A .223 bullet will go through your arm and leave a hole that can be treated and stitched up. A shotgun will remove that arm and leave a ragged and shredded mess.

Of course a machete, a hatchet or a steak knife in the hands of a lunatic killer ready to murder will result in the same carnage as any gun would. Take away all the guns and the deranged when locked in a classroom with children will murder everything in there.
How many people a minute can be shot or harmed by a machete or shotgun as compared to a semiautomatic weapon? Do you think there is a difference?

Old 05-30-2022, 07:43 AM

29,559 posts, read 19,653,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Let’s face it, most of the shootings are done by males 18 or younger. Problem identified.
Well then if most shootings are done by males 18 or younger then they are already violating state and federal laws

Quote:
Now go the gun lovers who stroke their guns before they go to bed every night….
If I stroke my gun before I go to bed every night wouldn't be your business. Just like you stroking your ***** cat every night before you go to bed isn't my business

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
How many people a minute can be shot or harmed by a machete or shotgun as compared to a semiautomatic weapon? Do you think there is a difference?
There is a difference. How many people can be mowed down by an SUV?

Lots of shotguns are semiautomatic

Old 05-30-2022, 07:43 AM

63 posts, read 24,932 times
Quote:
The world back then was different in so many ways. So many fewer people, less crowding, etc. There also were no automatic or semiautomatic weapons available to the general public. Machine guns were outlawed back then.

That is not true. Going further back than 1956, there was a smorgasbord of semi-autos available for sale to the public, and the machine gun (full auto) registry didn't close until 1986 with the passage of the Hughes Amendment. Machine guns made before '86 are still legal, provided the owner has permission from the ATF. Those made after '86 can be legally owned only by military and police.

Old 05-30-2022, 07:44 AM

1,213 posts, read 569,123 times
There should be a universal age for everything.
Not this 16 for this, 18 for that, 21 for this, etc…
21 for draft, guns, drinking, drugs, cigs, dip, driver license, etc etc…
Kids are still mental midgets until around 30.

Old 05-30-2022, 07:45 AM

1,713 posts, read 619,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingsToValhalla View Post
I'm in favor of banning under 21'ers from buying or owning firearms.
Humans' brains continue to mature until their early 20s.
Teenagers make too many irrational & impulsive decisions.

I think a under 21 ban would help prevent some of these school shootings done by teenagers and help prevent some teen suicides.

I'm also in favor of increasing the voting age to 21 as well.
As I stated, the human brain does not fully mature until a person is in their 20's.
If we can't trust teenagers with alcohol or guns, why should we trust them with voting?
I voted no, but would be okay with certain restrictions. I think we need to actually lower the age of being lawfully and adult. Youth Crime has skyrocketed and it is apparent a 16 year old can be just as violent as a 30 year old. As much as I hate to say it, I think we need to legislate good parenting. It’s time to hold parents legally liable for things their children do. Your 13 year old goes and shoots someone, you go to jail too. Your 15 year old robs someone, you go to jail too.

Old 05-30-2022, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name Is View Post
So this girl, for instance, shouldn't be allowed to do what she does? If you're not interested in competitive shooting, perhaps you'd like to know more about kids who safely engage in hunting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0St_KOdA8JA
Could this girl still shoot if the parents owned the gun and supervised her use of it? Of course she could. What is your point? Does she have to be the owner of the gun in order to compete?

Old 05-30-2022, 07:47 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,229,418 times
If one has a right to life, and therefore the right to defend that life, who is to say how and what can be used in that defense?
No government instituted to secure rights can deny them, directly or indirectly.
OF COURSE, if one has consented to be governed, all bets are off.
(You do know that consenting to be a citizen comes with MANDATORY civic duties that abrogate all endowed rights.)

Old 05-30-2022, 07:47 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,627,534 times
Quote:
The world back then was different in so many ways. So many fewer people, less crowding, etc. There also were no automatc or semiautomatic weapons available to the general public. Machine guns were outlawed back then.

There was a time when citizens could legally buy machine guns though, and oddly these types of shootings didnt happen back then? Hmm makes you wonder what the real purpose is in restricting automatic weapons, huh?

Not to mention, making your own 'machine gun' is MUCH simpler than a semi auto! Open bolt slam fire, no expensive machinery needed, all the parts can be obtained at a hardware store, or a Lowes/ Home Depot.

Old 05-30-2022, 07:50 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,534,852 times
I guess DoD employees all get waivers? Or is that different?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies