Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2022, 10:32 PM

25,743 posts, read 18,809,520 times

Advertisements

So I've been reading a few articles on the internet regarding "black separatism" and "black nationalism" (such groups as the "New Black Panthers"). And because of all the hoopla about "white nationalists" and "white separatists," I already know that story. But here is the thing--"black separatists" and "white separatists" essentially want the same thing. They want blacks and whites to be separated into their own respective societies/nations.

So here is my question: why is it that "white separatists" are universally and flatly condemned and branded the lowest form of racist, yet "black separatists" are barely even mentioned and certainly not condemned as "white separatists" are? After all, they are out for exactly the same thing. And both groups DO exist. One group is automatically accused of hate crimes, the other practically patted on the back and told "we understand." Yet another example of the double standards those of us observing all this stuff have to endure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2022, 10:45 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,600,665 times
i prefer e pluribus unim out of many one over "we the people" most people i dare say are extreme anything, why dont YOU go live wherever you want to

Old 05-31-2022, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
i prefer e pluribus unim out of many one over "we the people" most people i dare say are extreme anything, why dont YOU go live wherever you want to
Your response has nothing to do with the question.

Old 05-31-2022, 10:32 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,133,597 times
First example that comes to mind- the covington kids in DC. Harassed and slandered by (do i dare say it?) black supremacists, yet ignored. The rest is history. Yes, why?

Old 05-31-2022, 10:34 AM

1,346 posts, read 474,107 times
It has to do with the historic institutionalised hegemony of whites and European derived culture in American governance. Blacks have been the ones on the outside looking in. Maybe a lot of people sympathise with that position and take a nigh indiscriminate approach to whatever blacks put forth as policy positions. If you ask me if there's a majority opinion for the implementation of a micro ethnic community then why not let them experiment with that? It's not that much different from the ethnic enclaves that have historically existed in the United States.

Old 05-31-2022, 10:38 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
So I've been reading a few articles on the internet regarding "black separatism" and "black nationalism" (such groups as the "New Black Panthers"). And because of all the hoopla about "white nationalists" and "white separatists," I already know that story. But here is the thing--"black separatists" and "white separatists" essentially want the same thing. They want blacks and whites to be separated into their own respective societies/nations.

So here is my question: why is it that "white separatists" are universally and flatly condemned and branded the lowest form of racist, yet "black separatists" are barely even mentioned and certainly not condemned as "white separatists" are? After all, they are out for exactly the same thing. And both groups DO exist. One group is automatically accused of hate crimes, the other practically patted on the back and told "we understand." Yet another example of the double standards those of us observing all this stuff have to endure.
makes ya wonder... are kids in school today learning that 'separate but equal' was a bad and terrible thing, like we did?

that's gotta cause a lot of confusion.

Old 05-31-2022, 10:39 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Chris, do you truly not understand the difference, or are you just trying to open up a discussion?

Because I'll be glad - honestly - to tell you the difference. Just don't want to waste my time typing out a thoughtful response if you already understand.

Old 05-31-2022, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Chris, do you truly not understand the difference, or are you just trying to open up a discussion?

Because I'll be glad - honestly - to tell you the difference. Just don't want to waste my time typing out a thoughtful response if you already understand.
Oh, I know the difference all right. But... I'd conjecture that the difference I know and the difference you know are quite, uh, different differences.

My version has to do with measuring everyone with the same yardstick, whereas I'm sure your version does not.

Old 05-31-2022, 11:14 AM

5,983 posts, read 2,236,544 times
The simplest answer is White Nationalism seems to be growing in popularity and is leading to explicit examples of Violence the South Carolina church shooting and the Buffalo shooting. It also seems to hang around these paramilitary groups on the internet and among other groups like the proud boys.

Black Nationalism does not have much resonance among black folk since many Black families have been in the US for a very long time (before the founding in some cases) and do not look at the country as belonging to someone else or another race. The only time I ever hear about Black separatists is when 4 guys are yelling at people in NYC or Washington D.C, that's it.

Examples like Black Panthers can be brought up but really have not had a role in anything since the 1970s. That is quite a long way to reach back and try to put them on par with what we have coming from White Nationalists who are convincing young adults to take up arms and shoot people in current times.

Overall the US has a mentality of violence that affects all of us. We consider Violence in our country as par for the course now, nothing shocks us anymore.

Old 05-31-2022, 11:16 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Oh, I know the difference all right. But... I'd conjecture that the difference I know and the difference you know are quite, uh, different differences.

My version has to do with measuring everyone with the same yardstick, whereas I'm sure your version does not.
yep. that's the key difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies