Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 09:45 AM

20,995 posts, read 9,713,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
Well, what's not going to sneak up on you is the understanding that abolishing states' rights "around this issue" isn't doable as per the Constitution.
Which is why I've been saying the 2nd Amendment needs to be amended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2022, 02:43 PM

447 posts, read 324,331 times
Even if you have the guns can you really fight against the rulers now?

Old 06-03-2022, 02:50 PM

4,457 posts, read 5,351,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Which is why I've been saying the 2nd Amendment needs to be amended.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1532492638355529728

Yeah, well, with these guys over on your side of the isle, it's no wonder the people on my side are not going to let that happen.

Old 06-03-2022, 02:52 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,108,730 times
Quote:
The depths of right-wing paranoia are clearly evident in this thread.

In Canada, most of Western Europe, Australia and a whole bunch of other places, gun ownership is much more restrictive than in the US, and they are not "back to the primitive days" you fear. If anything, those places are more civilized than the US.
I applaud your ability to gauge the paranoia and political sensibilities of an entire thread from only reading the original post

Old 06-03-2022, 03:07 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,363,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
in those places, I guess it's morally better for a woman to just "take it" than to be able to fight back with dignity with a firearm.

GROSS.
It has been years or decades that we have not been allowed to carry handguns on us in public.

Does rape or murder even exist in the States? And with your laws a woman with a felony does not have the right to carry a weapon to protect her. Are you actually worried about women or is it something else

Old 06-03-2022, 03:32 PM

20,995 posts, read 9,713,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcl View Post
I applaud your ability to gauge the paranoia and political sensibilities of an entire thread from only reading the original post
Oh don't worry, it wasn't just the original post that led me to that conclusion. I concluded that long, long ago. It's just that the OP was yet another example of that paranoia.

Old 06-03-2022, 03:40 PM

1,207 posts, read 675,701 times
Quote:
Oh don't worry, it wasn't just the original post that led me to that conclusion. I concluded that long, long ago. It's just that the OP was yet another example of that paranoia.
Come on folks, it's obvious that the OP is fixated on how "dangerous" the world is without guns. Throughout all her posts, it's basically saying that women NEED guns to fight all the rampant rapists. How else can a woman survive, it's so unfair without access to a Desert Eagle 50 or at least a dependable Ruger Super Redhawk! It's a nonsensical argument for guns.

Old 06-03-2022, 04:33 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,531,254 times
Quote:
If there was a national standard on what guns could be bought and sold, and who could buy them and sell them, you would replace 50 sets of laws plus federal laws with 1 set of federal laws. It would probably be easier to enforce.

If this and if that. The fact is, there is no practical way to stop a person inclined to commit mass murder, and that includes the elimination of all firearms. Anyone who thinks to the contrary is smitten by fantasy, or not thinking at all.

Old 06-03-2022, 05:08 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,645,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
CITIZENS IN ARMS : THE SWISS EXPERIENCE

"The Swiss tradition of arms-bearing and a militia army should be put in historical perspective. The Swiss Confederation was founded in 1291 by men from three Cantons who swore mutual support and protection. In the ensuing historical epochs, smaller numbers of armed Swiss peasants defeated some of the most powerful armies of Europe. The myth of William Tell entailed not just shooting the apple off his son’s head, but also of shooting the arrow through the tyrant’s heart. The armed citizen who defends the freedom of his own family and his neighbors was, and remains, the hallmark of the Swiss experience.
<snip>
The Swiss system of militia and democracy were well known to English republicans in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. Andrew Fletcher, in "A Discourse of Government with Relation to Militias" (1698), advocated “well-regulated militias” to defend the country. Fletcher wrote:

"The Swisses at this day are the freest, happiest, and the people of all Europe who can best defend themselves, because they have the best militia . . . And I cannot see why arms should be denied to any man who is not a slave, since they are the only true badges of liberty . . . .""

There is only one reason to undo, what's been done and it has nothing to do with paranoia.
Quote:
Yes it has everything to do with paranoia.

And it's funny watching the gun nuts quote Switzerland. Like I don't already know this stuff from a dozen threads here on this topic.

Switzerland gun control: Voters back EU regulations
Quote:

19 May 2019 - Voters in Switzerland have backed a tightening of gun laws to conform with European Union regulations.

Almost 64% of voters in Sunday's referendum supported tougher restrictions on semi-automatic and automatic weapons, final results show.

Switzerland is not an EU member, but risked removal from the open-border Schengen Area if it had voted "no".

Nearly 48% of Swiss households own a gun - among the highest rates of private ownership in Europe.

The EU had urged the country to tighten its laws in line with rules adopted by the bloc following the 2015 Paris terror attacks.

The rules restrict semi-automatic and automatic rifles and make it easier to track weapons in national databases.
So basically Swiss gun laws are now about the same as in the rest of Western Europe.
In 1787 Americans saw Switzerland as the "Sister Republic" a democracy in an otherwise despotic Europe ... Fast forward to WWII how'd that work out for the Swiss in comparison to the rest of Europe?

"But the Holocaust did not come to Switzerland, in no small part because every man was a potential sniper against any and all invaders, and official policy was that any announcement of surrender would be considered enemy propaganda. Allen Dulles, head of America’s OSS spy network operating against Germany from his base in Bern, wrote: “At the peak of its mobilization Switzerland had 850,000 men under arms or standing in reserve, a fifth of the total population. . . . That Switzerland did not have to fight was thanks to its will to resist and its large investment of men and equipment in its own defense." (from my link in above post)

If there has been a change in their ancient custom (the Swiss system of militia and democracy), then they are either safer today or not as safe in securing their liberty. Unless faced with a WWIII, I guess we'll never know the answer. However, as the saying goes, 'an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure'.

Old 06-03-2022, 05:22 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,363,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprez33 View Post
One doesn't have to look back too far to see the authoritarian hellholes that Canada and Australia became during the Covid pandemic. Who could have imagined having your source of employment taken away and incarcerated for up to 22 months to deal with something on the order of the seasonal flu. If they dared protest, the police used beatings and tear gas. Hardly 'civilized'.

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...quell-protests
Were in Canada during the Covid pandemic? Do you know that it were the provincial governments that ran the meadures as healthcare is s provincial matter and many of those governmentscare conservative.

It was far from a hell hole and not like a seaonal.flu. And just who were incarenated ib Canada for months let alone 22 months.

Your own country has no problem with beating protesters or using tesr gas on them , as long as they are either of colour or not on yourside .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies