Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 03:50 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCoffee57 View Post
I didn't see an article, I just saw some people talking about a woman being abused by her husband.

If she had a restraining order, that is different. But from what I read, I thought some people were recommending an abused woman go buy a gun, return to her home to confront her abuser husband which would be terrible advice.
Fair enough, and I agree that going to purchase a firearm with the intent of taking it home and using it to confront her husband would fall under premeditation. However, that wasn't - and isn't - the issue. The issue is that what is being proposed (waiting periods) would do nothing to prevent a situation such as Tulsa or any school shooting that I can think of. Meanwhile, it could - and has - had an adverse effect on innocent people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2022, 03:52 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
Quote:
I don't know where in this thread this hypothetical was brought up so I don't have context - but if a woman is being abused, she should go to the police. The police will immediately arrest the man, and he will be then slapped with a restraining order.

Now, if she doesn't do that, instead goes to a gun store, returns home, shoots him, then claims he was beating her all along - yeah that will be a hard pill for any jury to swallow.
Maybe we are thinking about this differently. I'm thinking about the common scenario where the abuse BF comes over and beats the woman up, and she tries to get a restraining order. Whether she does or doesn't, the guy comes back later and kills her. Or, this could also be an abuse husband who is kicked out or "arrested" and then let go. I'm not saying someone should go hunt down an abuser and kill them.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 06-03-2022, 05:26 PM

8,244 posts, read 3,495,089 times
Quote:
I cannot comment on your case, but this is the law and this is how it works 99% of the time. There are always exceptions and if you're from a small town where the guy has connections to the police, then maybe.

but I will add, that you get a temporary restraining order, and a court date. If you have injuries and/or a police report documenting harm, you're basically guaranteed an extension. Restraining orders are done in civil courts, and don't require the same standard of proof in criminal courts.
The court always refused to extend it. I would be in court with obvious injuries and they were all like but he is your husband and what did you do to make him so mad.

Old 06-03-2022, 05:45 PM

19,799 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
So in your mind do we have a "mass bombing" problem in the country right now?

But I reckon you figure that if we outlawed guns we'd have the sales of chemistry sets skyrocket. LOL.
I said nothing of the sort. The point is a creep/psycho set on mayhem and destruction has lots of options.

The lower IQ Tim McVey and a buddy figured it out without a chemistry set........none of this is funny.

Last edited by EDS_; 06-03-2022 at 05:55 PM..

Old 06-03-2022, 05:45 PM

10,236 posts, read 6,322,066 times
I worked at a Mental Health Facility. Gun Free Zone. Staff could not be armed inside or keep a gun outside in their locked car in the parking lot.

I thought it very strange that in order to get inside the building one needed to insert their staff ID card into a reader to open the door. The Receptionist in this vestibule was behind bullet proof glass with a small slat for a visitor to show proper ID to be let in.

I asked why this security? I was told that a few years before a female staff member kept a loaded gun in her (locked) car for protection against her Ex. She had a Restraining Order against him. Unfortunately, she forgot to change the locks on her car and he had her keys, opened her car, and got out HER gun.

He waited for her to leave work and shot her, along with 2 other employees walking with her. They all survived but she was fired. The other two employees SUED HER for Negligence.

This was the reason for all that security. The joke at work was that not all the "crazies" are inside this facility.

Old 06-03-2022, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Exactly. And we have 1 example from 2015 in N.J. from an article that headlines, "N.J. gun association calls Berlin woman's death an 'absolute outrage'."
The woman in NJ was waiting on a gun permit. The outrage was/is that is takes the NJ authorities mos. to approve or disapprove permits.

IIRC the lady was stabbed on her front porch by her psycho ex.

Old 06-03-2022, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
You have it backwards. If an abused woman manages to get out of the home, she should be going for help, not to a gun store.

If this abused woman comes home with a gun, what do you think will happen to her if she manages to shoot her abuser? Assuming the abuser doesn't overpower her and grab the gun and shoot her first.
You need to stop and read the story. You are utterly wrong per the circumstances. The lady in question had been hounded by the BG for many months.

Old 06-03-2022, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Just decided to look up a list of domestic terrorist attacks here in the US. I started at 1970, since the list is so long. Looks like there were quite a lot of bombings, more so than firearms related ones. Food for thought.

https://www.johnstonsarchive.net/ter.../wrjp255a.html
I assure you he does not care.

Old 06-03-2022, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I don't know where in this thread this hypothetical was brought up so I don't have context - but if a woman is being abused, she should go to the police. The police will immediately arrest the man, and he will be then slapped with a restraining order.

Now, if she doesn't do that, instead goes to a gun store, returns home, shoots him, then claims he was beating her all along - yeah that will be a hard pill for any jury to swallow.
Just no.

Great speech but the police most defiantly did not arrest the BG in NJ until after he killed the lady we've been talking about.

Old 06-03-2022, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Fair enough, and I agree that going to purchase a firearm with the intent of taking it home and using it to confront her husband would fall under premeditation.
Please don't be misdirected. That's not what happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies