Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2022, 03:02 PM

18,740 posts, read 7,635,825 times

Advertisements

"Assault rifle" is a translation of the German word "Sturmgewehr". It was coined during WWII to refer specifically to the StG-44, a medium-sized rifle that fired an intermediate cartridge and was capable of full-auto fire. Later, other rifles with similar characteristics came to be known as "assault rifles". But if you want an "exact" definition of "Assault rifle", it refers only to that one model, the StG-44.

Calling any scary-looking gun an "assault rifle" is like calling all photocopying machines "Xerox machines". Most of them aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2022, 03:05 PM

5,664 posts, read 5,096,808 times
The left likes to redefine words to suit their agenda. They’ve redefined man, woman, family and marriage, amongst others. Assault weapon? Meant to appeal to ignorance and emotion in their sheeple. Putting into law doesn’t make it real, only legal. And just because something’s legal doesn’t make it right, nor does being illegal make something wrong.

Old 06-05-2022, 03:08 PM

16,118 posts, read 10,794,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

My question is: What defines an 'assault' weapon?
No one on this forum will be able to provide a definitive or legal definition. When the time comes, and it will at some point, the government will decide what an assault weapon is. Hopefully it will be a clear statement and will be modified and amended as gun manufacturers try to get around it with after-market modifications.

Old 06-05-2022, 06:25 PM

308 posts, read 103,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
No one on this forum will be able to provide a definitive or legal definition. When the time comes, and it will at some point, the government will decide what an assault weapon is. Hopefully it will be a clear statement and will be modified and amended as gun manufacturers try to get around it with after-market modifications.
Yes because it's all about the cosmetics with zero knowledge of function.

Old 06-05-2022, 06:26 PM

37,500 posts, read 61,499,915 times
I have a couple ruger 10/22 rifles. When our sons were teenagers I gave each of them a .22 rifle. Ruger 10/22 seemed to be the most popular small rifle, and they were great for teenagers learning to handle a rifle.

But they take a magazine.

If having a magazine defines a rifle to be an 'assault' weapon, then I guess a .22 rifle fits that definition?

Old 06-05-2022, 06:27 PM

19,731 posts, read 10,158,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I have a couple ruger 10/22 rifles. When our sons were teenagers I gave each of them a .22 rifle. Ruger 10/22 seemed to be the most popular small rifle, and they were great for teenagers learning to handle a rifle.

But they take a magazine.

If having a magazine defines a rifle to be an 'assault' weapon, then I guess a .22 rifle fits that definition?
I guess. I have a 22 that I use for rabbits, it has a magazine.

Old 06-05-2022, 06:31 PM

37,500 posts, read 61,499,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Drawing from federal and state law definitions, the term assault weapon refers primarily to
Off to an interesting start, you want to discuss government legal definitions, good.

But then the next thing you do is to bring out Wiki.

Wiki

Wiki

Wiki.

Did you actually have some government legal definition that you wished to discuss?

Or is it all going to be whatever can be found on Wiki?

Old 06-05-2022, 06:35 PM

3,336 posts, read 1,969,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlhdtodd View Post
Assault weapon is a bull**** political term. Made up by hopelessly and terminally stupid hoplophobes that know exactly nothing about guns. It was first coined in the mid 80's. Used by anti gun morons to purposefully conflate full auto, select fire (true assault RIFLES) and semiautomatic rifles to others who are just as ignorant of firearm functions. These are the morons that get their firearm knowledge from the terminally stupid Hollywood actors and their movies.

Remember ignorance can be cured thru education and experience. Stupid is to the bone, and stupid should hurt.
This^

I would add that to have people who know little to nothing about firearms writing policy and laws pertaining to firearms is the biggest folly this society could ever perpetrate.

Old 06-05-2022, 07:56 PM

18,740 posts, read 7,635,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
No one on this forum will be able to provide a definitive or legal definition.
I just did, a few posts before yours.
Quote:
When the time comes, and it will at some point, the government will decide what an assault weapon is. Hopefully it will be a clear statement and will be modified and amended as gun manufacturers try to get around it with after-market modifications.
And it will still be illegal to ban or restrict them. Just as it was in 1994-2004. But the Democrats don't care. They sill keep placing unconstitutional restrictions on them, for as long as the Judicial System lets them get away with it... or until they all get voted out of office, whichever comes first.

Last edited by Roboteer; 06-05-2022 at 08:06 PM..

Old 06-05-2022, 08:05 PM

13,985 posts, read 5,650,251 times
1) Hitler coined the the term because it sounded tougher/scarier than "submachine pistol."

2) Gun manufacturers/trade pubs of the US in the 70s and 80s started marketing semiautomatic rifles with that verbage, in order to woo the Guns 'N' Ammo crowd into buying merchandise.

3) Politicians in the late 80s/early 90s realize they can use the term to gin up fear. Stuck with it ever since, because they were right and it does gin up fear.

That's the timeline of the term and getting it applied to semiautomatic rifles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies