Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 06:48 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 5 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,602,372 times

Advertisements

Even handguns galore Switzerland has regulations lots of American gun owners and certainly the NRA would find too restrictive. Yet it works! Unfortunately, that means a culture change for Americans (presumably especially "Middle America", where the disproportionate number of guns are). Still, if we're going to insist on having guns galore, at least take a cue from Switzerland - and change our culture to match the Swiss one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkuMLId8SqE

*Two week waiting period
*Criminal and mental background Checks
*Laws mandating separating firearms from ammo when not in use
*Very strict open-carry (i.e. more limited than our own states' open-carry laws)
*Have clean criminal record
*Report firearm ownerships or transfers to the police
*Send written request for ownership to authorities
*Justification for gun ownership to authorities
*Gun traceability
*Firearms training

Unfortunately, even some items on here will still get called a 2A violation by a lot of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2022, 06:52 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,392,274 times
What election does this pertain to?

I think you accidentally posted in the wrong forum, my friend.

Old 06-03-2022, 07:34 AM

9,537 posts, read 16,527,663 times
The gun culture in the USA, is directly related to a selfish attitude. A refusal to accept the fact a society has to have rules to function.

I'm surrounded by gun rights individuals as I live in a region of America where they are high in numbers. Republican dominated states and regions generally will have strong views on the 2nd Amendment.

I personally am disgusted that for many years now the Republicans have allowed all these shootings to continue. Yet will not even pass a ruling to limit AR rifle sales, and proper background checks and waiting times to buy guns. Nothing at all gets done. Yet we have to sit back and let the Republicans in congress continue to allow slaughters to continue. All because a 2nd Amendment from the 1700s is the rule of the land. The damn thing was written before anyone would know what problems would come in future years.

Yes selfishness and crooked politicians is why we have this disgusting problem in the states. The gun rights means more than the safety of innocent Americans.

Switzerland is an entirely different culture. It's values, mindsets and customs and form of Govt, would never tolerate what goes on in the states.

Your list is a sensible and responsible list of a proper requirement for gun ownership. Unfortunately the USA is not impressive as responsible, and I fear nothing much will change here. After Sandy hook when so many 6 year old were murdered. Absolutely nothing was done and gun rights became stronger. It is doubtful things will change much now. As long as Congress is controlled by weak crooked uncaring Politicians we are lost. If I had my way they would all be out the door today. Stop their paychecks and throw them out on the street. As far as the gun rights extremist. Make it clear. You can have your guns within a sensible approach to buying, and what type weapons you can own. Otherwise you want to complain about your rights and your 2nd Amendment. Then find some other country that allows selfish bores to live and move there.

At least Switzerland seems to have its act together. It would be great if the Swiss could teach the USA how its done.

Old 06-03-2022, 07:39 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
We fought a brutal war to be different from other countries.

Our Constitution says NO INFRINGEMENT...get over it, the guns are not going anywhere.

If you feel this way about guns, perhaps America is not the best country for you live in?

Old 06-03-2022, 07:47 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Different people.

Old 06-03-2022, 07:50 AM

487 posts, read 537,477 times
Should the US also adopt CH's compulsory army service?

Old 06-03-2022, 07:55 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
There's far more to it than "restrictions".

You all love to trot out other countries, yet never discuss their a) population, b) how they live, and c) their culture and values.

Let me help you with that:

https://www.worldometers.info/demogr...-demographics/

https://www.countryreports.org/count...population.htm

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...itzerland.html

Quote:
Switzerland is one of the richest nations in the world with most of the citizens enjoying a high standard of living in the country. There is a large affluent middle class in the country. However, 80% of the private assets are owned by only 20% of the country’s richest people. Traditionally, the Swiss society has been a patriarchal one whereby the roles of men and women were clearly defined. However, modern times have witnessed such distinctions gradually disappearing. Marriages are presently based on the joint consent of the bride and groom and co-inhabitation prior to marriage is common. Divorces and re-marriages are also frequent in Swiss society. Female education and empowerment are still not at par with that of men but the situation is gradually improving. Although traditional Swiss households were large, modern households are nuclear in nature. Respect for the privacy of an individual and a polite behavior during social interactions are expected in Swiss society.

Old 06-03-2022, 07:55 AM

23,566 posts, read 17,241,593 times
What's with Maine and no mass shootings?

Enough evidence oppressive gun laws have a point of diminishing return. So why push more gun laws?

Perhaps look in another direction?

The stupidity of the anti gun contingent is sickening, as their proposals do nothing to ensure innocent lives will be saved. what is does, is to ensure innocent lives will be lost.

Old 06-03-2022, 08:03 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,628,268 times
It's amazing how people think "Middle America" is responsible for the gun carnage when most of Middle America is licensed and has very little crime in comparison to Urban Coastal America, inner cities, and liberal utopias where the vast majority of shooting occurs and are committed by unlicensed minorities with illegally obtained firearms. And the irony of this post is that "Middle America" looks and behaves culturally more similar to Switzerland than the rest of America, hence the reason it's safer statistically and has less gun crime.

Old 06-03-2022, 08:10 AM

57,316 posts, read 26,236,916 times
It's more than just the extensive amount of guns, it's the culture that shows little respect for the deadly impact of guns. People leaving loaded guns in cars and homes, giving them to children. I always think of Sandy Hook and the mother of the mentally ill child taking him to a range to learn how to use guns, also the Navy Seal that ended up being killed at a gun range by a mentally ill soldier, I think there are other ways of therapy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies