Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2022, 08:53 AM

19,219 posts, read 16,701,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
People don't consume soda by the gallon.
Stop. You're using logic here. That doesn't work for some.

Old 06-10-2022, 08:56 AM

899 posts, read 541,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
I only put "Tier-1" gas into my cars. I don't trust that "off brand" junk.
I've noticed that expensive gas seems to last longer in my car than the slightly cheaper gas. Who knows why. Purely anecdotal of course.

Old 06-10-2022, 08:59 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,370,331 times
The Dems will get killed in November but it won't be just because of gas prices. It'll be because of everything Biden has or hasn't done. In addition to gas prices there is inflation, the ever-worsening border crisis, the liberal soft on crime policies, shortages, Afghanistan, yada yada yada. Biden's rubber ducky is already swirling around the drain and the Dems will pay dearly for his incompetence.

Biden is too dumb, too stubborn, and too afraid to go against the far-left wing of the party. I doubt anything gets done to make anything better until he's voted out of office and a Republican takes over. If the pipelines are reopened, and drilling regulations are pulled back that may give some relief at the pump. For the rest of it, it's going to take an administration that actually knows what it's doing rather than the clown show that's in there now.

Old 06-10-2022, 08:59 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,057,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Great question.

The thing that always is a mess when it comes to looking at gas prices is the fixed tax from state and federal.

So Gas price = Product Cost + X.

For arguments sake let's say X is 60 cents.

So when gas goes from $3 to $4 the product itself really went from $2.40 to $3.40 which is an even larger increase.

The #1 driver is the input cost being oil prices. This graph shows how they move in a linked but lagged motion.

https://www.macrotrends.net/2501/cru...e-prices-chart

Thank you, I'll assume many overlook the synergistic taxation involved; by our illustrious government bodies.

Old 06-10-2022, 09:00 AM

6,811 posts, read 9,357,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
It doesn't seem to me that most people seem to particularly care about very high gas prices in this country. People have to pay whatever price they charge and they seem to accept it. You would think people would be protesting $5 national average but everyone is quiet. I don't even think this is going to hurt Democrats in November
I think Americans do care about it, but unfortunately, if you protest the “wrong” issue, Democrats will find a way to throw you in jail and ruin your life. This is the Joe Biden clown world we live in right now, and it’s not worth it to put yourself out there and protest. Plus, given the way these woke companies work now, a picture of you holding a sign that is perceived as being anti- things Democrats like might be enough for you to lose your job.

Looting, burning buildings, rioting because of issues of race is okay, but Democrats like high gas prices, so I’m sure they wouldn’t take too kindly to protests related to inaction by Joe Biden and his administration.

Old 06-10-2022, 09:02 AM

14,232 posts, read 4,596,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenRider View Post
That's pretty much the main story when I see Los Angeles area residents interviewed by the local news outlets. They hate the gas prices but driving their cars in daily life is a necessity, and they're forced to cut back spending elsewhere. Groceries have been mentioned a number of times, along with other purchases for their families.

Public transportation is not a good alternative in cities like Los Angeles, while it may be in some others. Besides not being attractively scheduled, it's not very safe. Often described by locals as a mental facility on wheels.
As a long time resident of LA, i agree.

Los Angeles is too spread out for public trans.

And the metrorail is nothing but a mobile homeless shelter. You have to be out of your mind to be using the metrorail, especially if you are a woman and it's at night.

Old 06-10-2022, 09:02 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,966,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
It doesn't seem to me that most people seem to particularly care about very high gas prices in this country. People have to pay whatever price they charge and they seem to accept it. You would think people would be protesting $5 national average but everyone is quiet. I don't even think this is going to hurt Democrats in November
This post won't age well.

Old 06-10-2022, 09:05 AM

73,022 posts, read 62,622,338 times
I don't like that gas prices are surging. I would also like to see more of the alternative fuels provided. I would also be cool with more charging stations for EVs. I won't say that I don't care, because I do. However, America, for the most part, is not set up to do any better. We simply don't have the infrastructure for anything else but gasoline. The grids in America need to be updated. Pretty much we have fallen behind for ages. I care. I just sadly consider that we're stuck with this. America will continue to swallow high gas prices because we are a car-centric society. American society is built around driving cars, all the way down to the infrastructure.

Old 06-10-2022, 09:09 AM

11,484 posts, read 6,008,999 times
Nah OP, we love being gouged and taken to the cleaners. We love flushing our money down the proverbial inflation toilet, OP. Just love it. I can't burn my dwindling savings account fast enough!

Who needs disposable income for more than just hand-to-mouth sustenance? I don't know about you, but I am celebrating the cost of everything soaring because diesel cost is going through the roof and truckers have to pass that cost on to us at the end of the retail chain.

All those things I used to do, and places I went to, and restaurants I ate at, and vacations I took... Yeah, who needs them? I love being soaked just to drive from one place to another. I love the fact that I can't take road trips anymore. I love hunkering down in my apartment because driving to Nashville or Asheville for a day trip costs an arm and a leg these days.

Who would care about that?

I can't say what I REALLY want to say without incurring a perma-ban, with extreme prejudice.

Last edited by Igor Blevin; 06-10-2022 at 09:18 AM..

Old 06-10-2022, 09:12 AM

2,017 posts, read 3,523,881 times
People who are barely making ends meet care, but there probably aren't a whole lot of them on this forum. We're planning to drive 3500+ miles in trips this summer, we aren't too concerned. But we're not hurting for money either. Ironically, Democrat energy policies hurt the folks they claim need help the most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies