Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2022, 08:29 AM

7,030 posts, read 2,733,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Gasoline is the loss leader, they make their money on the gum, lottery tickets, soda, snacks etc.

My uncle ran 3 gas stations until retiring.

You must have slept through "loss leader" in Business 101. At grocery stores it's milk and eggs.

https://culinarylore.com/food-cultur...arious%20times.
... and that's why those items are put in the very back of the store.

Old 06-10-2022, 08:30 AM

10,025 posts, read 8,666,112 times
A neighbor was telling me that the bug spray truck won't be coming through our neighborhood this summer because of the price of gas and they can't get the proper chemicals to make their poison. This summer will be a bummer.
We've had more rain than usual. We might have a food shortage but the mosquitos won't.

Old 06-10-2022, 08:33 AM

1,134 posts, read 405,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
People cannot change their commute or their daily driving needs. There won't be any discretionary money left to spend elsewhere if people are living paycheck to paycheck and most is going to the local gas station.
That's pretty much the main story when I see Los Angeles area residents interviewed by the local news outlets. They hate the gas prices but driving their cars in daily life is a necessity, and they're forced to cut back spending elsewhere. Groceries have been mentioned a number of times, along with other purchases for their families.

Public transportation is not a good alternative in cities like Los Angeles, while it may be in some others. Besides not being attractively scheduled, it's not very safe. Often described by locals as a mental facility on wheels.

Old 06-10-2022, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
A fountain drink, per ounce, costs more than super unleaded. So does drinking water. Nobody cares.
People don't consume soda by the gallon.

Old 06-10-2022, 08:39 AM

4,892 posts, read 3,315,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
It doesn't seem to me that most people seem to particularly care about very high gas prices in this country. People have to pay whatever price they charge and they seem to accept it. You would think people would be protesting $5 national average but everyone is quiet. I don't even think this is going to hurt Democrats in November
I think we'll see how much people care come election time.

Old 06-10-2022, 08:40 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,744,466 times
I understand what the OP is saying. My guess is that you'll start to really notice a change in driving habits and in general less traffic during typical non-commuting days/hours when the national average hits around $5.50/gallon. The average college student or 20-something year old that works at Chili's isn't going to keep driving to work just to keep his gas tank half-full.

Old 06-10-2022, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ok, I'll bite. I gotta hear this story.
The lines at the COSTCO stations where I live are 20-30 deep with cars waiting to fill up all to save a few bucks. They will burn more than that getting to the COSTCO since they are usually in the outskirts miles from town where land is cheaper.

Old 06-10-2022, 08:43 AM

52,325 posts, read 52,791,864 times
Quote:
It doesn't seem to me that most people seem to particularly care about very high gas prices in this country. People have to pay whatever price they charge and they seem to accept it. You would think people would be protesting $5 national average but everyone is quiet. I don't even think this is going to hurt Democrats in November
I've got some beachfront property to show you in Phoenix.

Old 06-10-2022, 08:47 AM

78,552 posts, read 60,762,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
The lines at the COSTCO stations where I live are 20-30 deep with cars waiting to fill up all to save a few bucks. They will burn more than that getting to the COSTCO since they are usually in the outskirts miles from town where land is cheaper.
You talking 20-30 cars per pump row or in total waiting across all the pump rows?

I've seen it 4-5 deep per pump x 6 pumps at ours so that's like a 10 minute wait.

Generally I just go when it's not that busy.

Old 06-10-2022, 08:48 AM

6,381 posts, read 4,221,654 times
Quote:
Obviously most people with a few active brain cells realize that gas prices increase every product they buy on a daily basis and have few choices, one of which would be to physically go and protest while the more productive action would be to vote in November to replace the Clowns who support Binder's warped agenda that is destroying this country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies