Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2022, 11:38 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,015,005 times

Advertisements

If you drive 100 plus miles, its best to take a break and charge your car for no less than 30 mins. You need the time to refresh yourself before hitting the road again.

Our EV charging isnt up to par yet. Once it is, then EV be more viable for long distance travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2022, 11:53 PM

281 posts, read 147,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
Are many people under the assumption that an EV is optimal for road trips? It seems that most people who have EVs and like them typically don’t use them to drive say over 100 miles a day. I certainly wouldn’t want to take a road trip in an EV with the lack of charging infrastructure. They seem to be good for basic commuting and errands around town purposes. Definitely not a sound choice for some people.
As with most topics on here you have idiots on both extremes shouting the loudest while the truth sits silently somewhere in the middle. Let me start by saying I'm a car guy, I love V8s and loud exhausts and manual transmissions. I don't care at all about being green and own a diesel F350 that gets like 12 mpg.

Apart from a few people in the extremes I don't think anyone thinks an EV is an OPTIMAL road trip vehicle. That being said as soon as you bring up EVs everyone becomes a cross country explorer. People that don't go further than an hour from their house all of the sudden are super concerned about all those road trips they need to suddenly take.

100 miles is not a road trip IMO. My Model 3 will easily do 100 miles each way on a single charge no worries (maybe not in winter weather, I don't know as I live in FL). I do a lot of 70 mile trips each way and only charging it to 85% I still have plenty of juice left when I get back. That being said I do take long road trips (we go back and forth from FL and NC) and I do NOT take my Model 3. However I did not take those trips for probably 90% of my life. Also I do believe that on average American households own 2+ vehicles. That means most people would not be limited to just an EV.

So while I don't think EV will be replacing all ICE vehicles anytime soon and those government mandates or what not stating no more ICE by 2030 or whatever are just for show... I also don't believe any of that makes EV bad. I think they can be great vehicles in the right situtation/household.

Old 07-04-2022, 06:18 AM

18,536 posts, read 8,359,201 times
7 million people evacuated for Irma.....the smart ones had extra gas cans in the trunk

...the idiots were looking for a charging station

Old 07-09-2022, 11:45 AM

7,817 posts, read 2,912,760 times
Couple Towed Trailer Behind $80,000 Electric Truck, Had to Stop Every 100 Miles on 2,700-Mile Trip

Quote:
This story took place last November as the couple decided to try out their new Rivian R1T — an all-electric pickup truck starting at a whopping $79,500 — by making a cross-country road trip from Detroit to Los Angeles and back.

The return journey was documented on their Instagram account. The expedition amounted to almost 2,700 miles and 27 charging stops.

https://www.westernjournal.com/coupl...700-mile-trip/

Old 07-09-2022, 01:06 PM

13,248 posts, read 21,872,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
Couple Towed Trailer Behind $80,000 Electric Truck, Had to Stop Every 100 Miles on 2,700-Mile Trip

https://www.westernjournal.com/coupl...700-mile-trip/
And now a bit of reality from the person who actually made the trip. https://www.instagram.com/p/Cfx4jfdOvKZ/

"Welcome to all the followers that found us from an article on a conservative news site! A couple of things: Don’t believe everything you read, that article got more wrong than it got right. Yes we stopped a lot, but there’s more to it than the article implies and it wasn’t that bad. We did not buy the truck for towing, it’s correct EVs aren’t the best choice for that, but we had to make a move across country, this is how we chose to do it, and we made it work. We LOVE the truck, for many reasons. We take it off-roading and it still does tow duty to get the racecar to events, on top of all that, it excels as a daily driver. I’m not going to debate how good or bad EVs are for the planet, we didn’t buy it to save the planet, we have it because it’s just a fantastic truck that’s a blast to drive."

BTW, the Rivian was towing a car-carrier trailer with a Ford Mustang on it, which made the rig almost double the weight of just the Rivian, not to mention the huge aerodynamic presentation of trailer and car.

Conservative media is pure garbage. Read it and get dumber.

Old 07-09-2022, 04:00 PM

7,817 posts, read 2,912,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
And now a bit of reality from the person who actually made the trip. https://www.instagram.com/p/Cfx4jfdOvKZ/

"Welcome to all the followers that found us from an article on a conservative news site! A couple of things: Don’t believe everything you read, that article got more wrong than it got right. Yes we stopped a lot, but there’s more to it than the article implies and it wasn’t that bad. We did not buy the truck for towing, it’s correct EVs aren’t the best choice for that, but we had to make a move across country, this is how we chose to do it, and we made it work. We LOVE the truck, for many reasons. We take it off-roading and it still does tow duty to get the racecar to events, on top of all that, it excels as a daily driver. I’m not going to debate how good or bad EVs are for the planet, we didn’t buy it to save the planet, we have it because it’s just a fantastic truck that’s a blast to drive."

BTW, the Rivian was towing a car-carrier trailer with a Ford Mustang on it, which made the rig almost double the weight of just the Rivian, not to mention the huge aerodynamic presentation of trailer and car.

Conservative media is pure garbage. Read it and get dumber.

Um, except they literally didn't dispute anything in the article!

All they said was "Yes, the truck sucks at towing and we had to stop a lot, but we love it".

The article never said anything about the drivers feelings about it one way or the other.

And Conservative media is eminently superior, at least these days.

If you consume Liberal Media you think there was an Insurrection on Jan. 6th, COVID was the bubonic plague, and the President was a Russian asset. Oh, and there are like 150 genders.

Epic fail

Old 07-09-2022, 04:30 PM

437 posts, read 188,842 times
Saw a great tweet once: "Apparently every progressive can afford a Tesla, but can't figure out how to pay back student loans."

Old 07-09-2022, 06:52 PM

13,248 posts, read 21,872,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
Um, except they literally didn't dispute anything in the article!

All they said was "Yes, the truck sucks at towing and we had to stop a lot, but we love it".

The article never said anything about the drivers feelings about it one way or the other.

And Conservative media is eminently superior, at least these days.

If you consume Liberal Media you think there was an Insurrection on Jan. 6th, COVID was the bubonic plague, and the President was a Russian asset. Oh, and there are like 150 genders.

Epic fail
What part of, "that article got more wrong than it got right", don't you understand? I'm going to take their word for it over yours, thanks.

Bottom line is they love their Rivian. The fact that you have to stray off topic on Jan 6 and Covid just shows that even you know your position doesn't stand on it's own. Epic fail indeed.

Old 07-09-2022, 07:04 PM

39,321 posts, read 27,704,630 times
I got myself a new tesla, so far so good. Do I think it's overrated? Yes

By the way, I am a conservative, my favorite transportation is my Suzuki motorcycle.

Old 07-09-2022, 07:15 PM

6,871 posts, read 9,409,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Apart from a few people in the extremes I don't think anyone thinks an EV is an OPTIMAL road trip vehicle. That being said as soon as you bring up EVs everyone becomes a cross country explorer. People that don't go further than an hour from their house all of the sudden are super concerned about all those road trips they need to suddenly take.
We’re being told (primarily by Democrats) that EVs are the future and in some states, folks will be FORCED to buy them after 2030 or 2035 due to laws that ban the sale and/or registration of (new) ICE vehicles. So, yes, we’re told that they are ready for prime time, they are amazing, they’re better for the environment, and that we shouldn’t worry about these types of issues, like charging and road trips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies