Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2022, 11:33 AM

100 posts, read 61,548 times

Advertisements

I just received a bill in the mail for a medical service that was done in August 2021. Why on earth does it take almost a year for billing to happen? This is not the first time I've had this happen. On average, based on my own personal experience, it takes 3-6mo for my insurance claims to be finalized and for a bill to be sent to me.

The process to buy a car or a house is much quicker than the billing process for medical claims.

Why does it take such a long time for medical bills to be sent out? Even worse, you never actually know how much you will be paying because the doctor or hospital will negotiate with the insurance company to get a lower rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2022, 11:34 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,311,191 times
so how much of the total bill generated was yours to pay?

Old 06-10-2022, 11:38 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,531,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briskwheel View Post
Our health insurance system is broken
Also, water is wet.

But if your main gripe is a late bill, I offer you hearty congratulations of not having a bg problem with health care in this country.

Old 06-10-2022, 11:39 AM

18,741 posts, read 7,620,616 times

That happens to everything the govt gets involved it.

Old 06-10-2022, 12:05 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,230,944 times
Remember when Obama, Pelosi and all the Democrats were claiming how Obamacare would be the answer to all our healthcare problems? Yup, that’s Obamacare we have now.

Old 06-10-2022, 12:47 PM

46,968 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post

That happens to everything the govt gets involved it.
Us health insurance is privatized to an extent seen in not other first-world country. And it's remarkably inefficient.

Old 06-10-2022, 12:48 PM

25,775 posts, read 18,834,175 times
If you think it's bad now, just wait until the government finishes taking it over.

Old 06-10-2022, 12:55 PM

13,467 posts, read 4,301,426 times
Quote:
I just received a bill in the mail for a medical service that was done in August 2021. Why on earth does it take almost a year for billing to happen? This is not the first time I've had this happen. On average, based on my own personal experience, it takes 3-6mo for my insurance claims to be finalized and for a bill to be sent to me.

The process to buy a car or a house is much quicker than the billing process for medical claims.

Why does it take such a long time for medical bills to be sent out? Even worse, you never actually know how much you will be paying because the doctor or hospital will negotiate with the insurance company to get a lower rate.
How is the system broken? You got a bill in 2022 that was for 8/21 service and you complain. They gave you 10 months to pay it back and you complain?

Maybe they were backlogged or because of the economy gave their clients extra time but how does this affects you? You knew you had a bill to pay and didn't call them and stayed quiet pretending they forgot and now they sent you the bill you get all dramatic.

You own the money, yes or no? then you should have paid the money or set it aside when the bill came. I don't know how your case translate to the whole system.

Old 06-10-2022, 12:56 PM

4,960 posts, read 2,240,545 times
Quote:

Hospitals/medical centers/doctors are equally to blame. Every day for five years my wife (a med group exec at the time) expressed frustrations about doctors failing to close notes (required for billing) and the fustercluck that was their billing department.

The entire US healthcare system is broken.

Old 06-10-2022, 12:57 PM

4,960 posts, read 2,240,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Us health insurance is privatized to an extent seen in not other first-world country. And it's remarkably inefficient.
Handing it over to an even more broken federal government sure as hell isn't going to fix it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies