Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2022, 05:01 PM
YAZ YAZ started this thread

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I know PHoenix is super hot in the summer but so is Palm Spring in Calif. and other Inland Empire cities that are in the desert. It can get up over 120 in the summer in parts of So. Calif.

That happened once and the airport shut down.

For a few hours.

110 is normal anymore tho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2022, 05:37 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Time to move YAZ. I don't see them anywhere near where I live in Venice, FLA, just if I drive to downtown Sarasota.
Yep I see them in Bradenton, Palmetto and Hillsborough county.

In all, roughly 1,700 individuals are homeless in Sarasota County, more than twice the national average for a population of our size.

Old 06-13-2022, 05:58 PM

25,738 posts, read 12,824,670 times
I say round them up, and bus them to the middle of nowhere so they can't get drugs or alcohol, or beg for money.

Just keep doing it over and over again and they will eventually leave...or check into psyche wards, or rehab facilities.

Old 06-13-2022, 06:52 PM

2,329 posts, read 961,757 times
I've been to multiple cities recently and the homeless situation is progressively getting worse.
They are everywhere in NYC, CHI, Miami, Austin, Philly, Orlando, etc. Not just city centers, but random places like highway exits and literally on the highway itself.

Old 06-13-2022, 07:31 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
It's definitely an issue in big cities. I've seen this in Atlanta and San Antonio. I saw homeless people in the suburbs of San Antonio. I actually saw some homeless people sleeping on the street, literally across from the Alamo of all places. In Atlanta I sometimes saw homeless people sleeping at the MARTA stations.

And it's not just the big cities. Some of the smaller tier cities have alot of homeless people. I've seen homeless camps in Chattanooga and Huntsville. I drove past a homeless came in Chattanooga, during the winter and it was a shock. Drove past a homeless camp in Huntsville, under I-565. In Chattanooga it was more out in the open.

Old 06-13-2022, 07:56 PM

1,781 posts, read 956,390 times
Out of control. That is all.

Old 06-13-2022, 07:59 PM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It's definitely an issue in big cities. I've seen this in Atlanta and San Antonio. I saw homeless people in the suburbs of San Antonio. I actually saw some homeless people sleeping on the street, literally across from the Alamo of all places. In Atlanta I sometimes saw homeless people sleeping at the MARTA stations.

And it's not just the big cities. Some of the smaller tier cities have alot of homeless people. I've seen homeless camps in Chattanooga and Huntsville. I drove past a homeless came in Chattanooga, during the winter and it was a shock. Drove past a homeless camp in Huntsville, under I-565. In Chattanooga it was more out in the open.
Atlanta's bad. They wander in the middle of freeway entrance ramps begging. One of them will get hit and killed before too long, but the police and Atlanta don't care. There are numerous tents near the freeways downtown.

Old 06-13-2022, 08:09 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Atlanta's bad. They wander in the middle of freeway entrance ramps begging. One of them will get hit and killed before too long, but the police and Atlanta don't care. There are numerous tents near the freeways downtown.
That actually happened one day literally as I was heading into work. A homeless man was killed by passing car. This wasn't on the freeway. It was on a surface street.

I saw homeless camps as far out as Kennesaw (back in the late 2000s/early 2010s).

It's everywhere. I've seen it in San Antonio. I've seen it in Huntsville, Chattanooga, and Nashville (saw homeless people sleeping around the Riverfront).

Old 06-13-2022, 08:40 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Literally, stepped over a guy to enter a convenience store here in Phoenix. (Party Store for any Michiganders here...)

Used to be....summertime came and the vagabonds split for cooler climes.

Not anymore.

They're starting to defecate behind our home.

Two young gals (20-something) with masks & hoodies rang the doorbell to inquire if our home was for sale. I'm somewhat confident that their boyfriends were lurking nearby....maybe casing the joint to see if we're home or not.

Friends down the street had their tandem bicycle stolen from their back yard. Locked gate? Heh. They scaled the 6 ft wall to take it.
^^^^Sorry to hear this. A relative has told us that Phoenix has a huge skid row that looks like the one in LA --- Tents taking over sidewalks for several blocks. He also has to get up very early to go to his job and said he sees homeless people sleeping on the sidewalks along the way --- even in pricey areas like Scottsdale.

Where we live, nearby are 2 shelters---one for women and the other for men, many who are mentally ill. The shelters kick them out during the day with the expectation that they all would be job hunting then. Then there are those who don't use the shelters. Instead, they sleep in a pedestrian underpass. Locals are told to avoid using the underpass after dark. Sometimes people have to take their dogs out at night and encounter a stark raving mad homeless person, which is scary.

We, too, have them hanging out by the exit at the local Target, which has some holding signs claiming they are veterans (hard to know if it's true or not). Now and then a few hang out in the islands in the middle of pedestrian crossings. That way they can hassle those who are waiting for the light to change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies