Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2022, 07:50 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,769,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
Why do people feel the need to label everything with a "syndrome", as if the dogs are at fault or did something wrong? Where they would only have acted by instinct if they felt that the baby was harming one of the bonded puppies.

This seems nothing more than a set of neglectful parents. Call me cynical, but I think we have all seen enough "fake" GoFundMe stories that you can't really take this at face value.

Based on what she posted she decided to go to the store that happened to be an hour away, and instead of finding her husband in the house she calls him up on the phone and adds a little bit to make sure she sounds concerned in asking about the kids. Parent of the year...Right...

As I don't think I have ever left for the store for any reason and told my spouse, who just happened to still be in the same house, by phone.

I would not be surprised if there turns out to be more to this story, and the dogs just happened to make a nice scape-goat(well scape-dog in this case) to make the GoFundMe "story" sound better.
Littermate syndrome is real. Reputable rescues won’t adopt two puppies from the same letter due to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2022, 07:56 AM

25,838 posts, read 18,870,148 times
Not very bright parents. Too many people treat pets as if they are teddy bears or thinking human beings. At the end of the day, dogs and cats are animals. Nothing wrong with having pets, but they are still animals and need to be handled with appropriate caution.

And as for pit bulls, only a very stupid parent would leave baby alone with pit bulls. You're asking for trouble. The defense is often, "I've done it many times and nothing bad has happened." Yeah, well, there are folks who have played Russian roulette many times and nothing bad has happened either.

Old 06-15-2022, 08:05 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,969,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I can tell that you've never had a good dog. I can't really imagine what kind of life you must've had to be able to write that. It's very, very different from mine, that's for sure.
There are many very good dogs who just don't like children. We see it at the dog park frequently. Kids are not allowed but people bring them anyway. Then a normally mild mannered dog will start growling and stalking the kid. Many adult dogs don't like puppies either.

You cannot trust any dog around small children.

Old 06-15-2022, 08:10 AM

15,947 posts, read 12,304,546 times
It's because we anthropomorphize animals and tend to think that the animal kingdom is as kind and compassionate as we are, and the more society turns soft the more we forget that the laws of nature are harsh.

Old 06-15-2022, 08:31 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,400,647 times
I knew enough about littermate syndrome that I never would have gotten two dogs from the same litter (and we’ve always had 2 dogs). I didn’t realize it could make such young puppies so agressive. And when they have to say “It could happen with any breed” you know the dogs were not just ANY breed…they were a breed that is known to be more aggressive and need more diligent owners. But any experienced dog owner would know not to leave any breed of dog and little kids alone, for both the kids and the dogs sake. So, it’s odd that they call them experienced (in the second article) but they didn’t have a clue about this. I don’t think I’d call them bad parents, but they aren’t the highly intelligent type either. They probably shouldn’t have their other pitbull when they are such bad pet owners…not a good breed for dog owners that clueless.

Old 06-15-2022, 08:32 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 14 days ago)

35,652 posts, read 18,015,765 times
I also had heard of this before.

More from the standpoint of they bond with each other and won't really bond with the owners, less from the angle they will try to kill a toddler, though.

Old 06-15-2022, 08:47 AM

6,389 posts, read 2,720,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Littermate syndrome is real. Reputable rescues won’t adopt two puppies from the same letter due to this.
I have doubts that we are getting the full story with this case, but I didn't say that condition didn't exist. The issue is the need for many people to "label" everything with things such as "Syndrome" to make it sound more ominous. And then, as in this case, try to put the blame on this "syndrome" instead of on the parents where it seems to belong in this case.

Old 06-15-2022, 08:53 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 14 days ago)

35,652 posts, read 18,015,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
There are many very good dogs who just don't like children. We see it at the dog park frequently. Kids are not allowed but people bring them anyway. Then a normally mild mannered dog will start growling and stalking the kid. Many adult dogs don't like puppies either.

You cannot trust any dog around small children.
That's not true.

I've had dogs I would trust around my kids more than I would trust a human. Truthfully.

Old 06-15-2022, 08:56 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,969,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
That's not true.

I've had dogs I would trust around my kids more than I would trust a human. Truthfully.
And I have seen a mild mannered poodle who wants to be friends with everyone he meets become growly around a kid he doesn't know, for example.

Old 06-15-2022, 09:22 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,769,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
That's not true.

I wouldn’t trust a pack of dogs unsupervised around a toddler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies