Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2022, 03:53 PM

4,994 posts, read 2,003,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Yes, but I'd rather have the dollars.

The point is most people do not understand the dollar and how it is impacted by the massive amount of US debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2022, 03:56 PM

22,239 posts, read 19,555,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
It's speculation you can lose money on anything I had companies go bankrupt when that happens all stock holders of equity shares lose their investment. I don't see the difference really you can speculate in higher risk and low risk stocks. I would consider bitcoin to be higher risk investment.

Most naive investors buy when they hear about it which is when something peaks they watch the value sink and get angry when they lose money.

If you don't want to worry about it just use mutual funds and turn it over to someone who auto invests it.
That is true. My main point was just in comparing risk, bitcoin is closer to options and penny stocks from a risk standpoint than more generic stock trading.

Old 06-15-2022, 05:05 PM

30,269 posts, read 18,822,001 times
Quote:
A lot of my friends lost a lot of money recently in Bitcoin. Yes, they really lost because they were forced to sell. The inflation is forcing people to cash in their chips. I'm deeply worried about some of the people in my inner circle of friends. I know the old saying, a fool and their money soon part ways. Some of my friends do foolish things. I am not perfect either, but luckily I was so damn late to that party, I never showed up. I contemplated getting one of those wallets so I could accept payment from customers. Now, there is no way that's happening.

Bitcoin seems no better than a piece of paper backed by a promise, unless someone can convince me I am wrong about that and this is just a temporary glitch. I have no horse in this race other than I do want to make transactions as easy as possible for my customers. Outside of that, I honestly don't care. I'm just a natural born skeptic of the "next great promise".

I will say, some of these people would have not had much money to lose to begin with, because they would have been working just a low paying 9 to 5. So there is that to consider as well.

I am constantly amazed at the idiots who invest in things they do no understand and buy over-valued assets.

Several docs at the hospital got cleaned out by losses in crypto. Those same individuals chuckled at me for owning lots of farmland and shunning equities at exorbitant prices!

Everybody likes to invest in things when they are sky high and hate them when they are cheap.

Well.................. people will get an opportunity to invest in equities again when the Dow dips to well below 18,000 before Biden is through with us.

There does not appear to be any economic light at the end of the tunnel until 2024. 2023 and the balance of this year will be tough times for Americans.

Old 06-15-2022, 05:14 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,403,262 times
Well, it wasn't a trap for the people who made millions, hundreds of millions and maybe even a billion dollars off of it, of course they got in when bitcoin was $1 or less and got out years ago and are now laughing their butts off, enjoying that early retirement!

Old 06-16-2022, 08:08 AM

78,944 posts, read 61,126,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
The price of bitcoin is still pretty good compared to just two years ago. June 2020 it was in the 9K range. I think it's expected that it's more volatile than other investments, it's going to have larger swings. Why were your friends forced to sell because of inflation? I'm still holding and buying more.
It's value has been largely buoyed by a lot of people pushing into it with hopes of striking it rich.

If you think it just has to go back up and you're comparing it to an arbitrary point in time of 2 years ago instead of a month ago you'd best hope that the people getting burned badly now doesn't sour folks on speculative crypto investments in the future.

We have another thread where people posted "wow, it's down to 32k, time to buy more!" and so forth.

For a lot of older people that were around to see the dotcom crash of 23ish years ago there are a lot of parallels. The biggest is "the vibe", the exuberance and the demographics.

Old 06-16-2022, 08:58 AM

13,536 posts, read 7,507,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
That is true. My main point was just in comparing risk, bitcoin is closer to options and penny stocks from a risk standpoint than more generic stock trading.
It's a perceived risk if you look at the volatility index of bitcoin find it's not as volatile as one thinks. Price has gradually increased over the years. I'm mostly talking about bitcoin in general not the other less well known.

Gold investment is the same way naive investors here about gold investing on a right wing AM radio show maybe they are listening to Alex Jones. They buy near the peak get angry when price falls blame it on Biden and sell at a loss.

Old 06-16-2022, 09:01 AM

37,963 posts, read 17,957,556 times
Quote:
A lot of my friends lost a lot of money recently in Bitcoin. Yes, they really lost because they were forced to sell. The inflation is forcing people to cash in their chips. I'm deeply worried about some of the people in my inner circle of friends. I know the old saying, a fool and their money soon part ways. Some of my friends do foolish things. I am not perfect either, but luckily I was so damn late to that party, I never showed up. I contemplated getting one of those wallets so I could accept payment from customers. Now, there is no way that's happening.

Bitcoin seems no better than a piece of paper backed by a promise, unless someone can convince me I am wrong about that and this is just a temporary glitch. I have no horse in this race other than I do want to make transactions as easy as possible for my customers. Outside of that, I honestly don't care. I'm just a natural born skeptic of the "next great promise".

I will say, some of these people would have not had much money to lose to begin with, because they would have been working just a low paying 9 to 5. So there is that to consider as well.
A lot of your friends were forced to sell? A lot? Really?

Old 06-16-2022, 09:12 AM

4,919 posts, read 3,383,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I am constantly amazed at the idiots who invest in things they do no understand and buy over-valued assets.

Several docs at the hospital got cleaned out by losses in crypto. Those same individuals chuckled at me for owning lots of farmland and shunning equities at exorbitant prices!

Everybody likes to invest in things when they are sky high and hate them when they are cheap.

Well.................. people will get an opportunity to invest in equities again when the Dow dips to well below 18,000 before Biden is through with us.

There does not appear to be any economic light at the end of the tunnel until 2024. 2023 and the balance of this year will be tough times for Americans.
For crypto, only invest what you can afford to lose.

Old 06-16-2022, 09:14 AM

31,339 posts, read 14,401,250 times
Of course it was a trap, and a ponzi scheme. Bitcoin is a 'currency' that is very difficult to use, and it if got too big, was at risk of the government stepping in and shutting it down. It was also nothing more than buy it and hope the next guy pays more for it. Eventually the next guy stopped paying more.

Old 06-18-2022, 02:29 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,586,330 times
now under $18K/
Not good for the stock market Tuesday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies