Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2022, 10:16 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,235,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK736 View Post
Is it though? Or are you just that gullible? Cattle can survive extreme heat if they're well cared for. It gets incredibly hot in Kansas during the summer, and even hotter in Texas. And yet the cattle out there seem to be fine. Did you even watch the video? You're going to tell me that many cattle lined up in the same position looks normal to you?

I hope the ranchers have blood tests run to find out what really caused it.
It said that this was unusual heat for SW Kansas...while triple digit heat is not rare...triple digit hear WITH High Humidity is and they didn't acclimate to it.

Part of me feels they obviously weren't well cared for...didn't look like much water was around for them...How about barns for shade?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2022, 10:24 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,589 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
You are suggesting that ranchers, who have been doing this for generations, don't know what they are talking about. You hear that ranchers!? An anonymous know-it-all on the internet knows more about your cattle trade than you and all of your ancestors.
I'm saying the exact opposite.

I'm believing them, when they say these cows died from heat stress, in a very unusual weather pattern.

Ranchers know their business, and when they say this was an unexpected and rare heat situation that killed 2000 cattle, I say, good enough explanation for me!

Old 06-17-2022, 10:31 AM

414 posts, read 972,022 times
It wasn't the heat, it was the lack of water.

Old 06-17-2022, 10:39 AM

57,229 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
Ranchers are talking about this. They're talking about the media's irresponsible reporting about it, too.

The msm gives a tiny, emotion- and fear-provoking statement, coupled with sad video. Ther msm doesn't give more info because those who run the msm don't think people have the capacity to attend to details.
It has been reported in many newspapers, Kansas has alone has around 20 local newspapers.

I would expect that the Livestock Association might know what they are talking about.

Temperatures are expected to rise again, another result of a warming planet.

There is a significant drought in many parts of the midwest.

Quote:
Thousands of cattle died in Kansas in recent days due to sweltering heat and humidity, officials say. Estimates vary on the total number dead, as ranchers aren’t required to report deaths, the state Department of Agriculture told McClatchy News. The deaths are centered in southwest Kansas where “several weather factors...led to heat stress for cattle,” a department spokesperson said.

However, the number could be much higher — up to 10,000 or more, according to DTN, an outlet that specializes in agriculture industry analysis. “We do know from reports from our members that there has been a significant number (of deaths) in that area of the state,” Scarlett Hagins, Vice President of Communications for the Kansas Livestock Association, told McClatchy News. While heat stress deaths are known to happen, they don’t to this scale. “This is a very unique and unfortunate event,” Hagins said. Cattle are generally hardy animals and able to handle heat, but there’s a limit. The problem in this case is that temperatures were high during the day but didn’t drop at night, or at least didn’t drop far enough — largely due to uncharacteristically high humidity, Hagins said. This worsens with consecutive days of high heat, and as such, the cattle couldn’t get any relief.
Read more at: https://www.kansascity.com/news/stat...#storylink=cpy

Old 06-17-2022, 10:45 AM

3,647 posts, read 3,781,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 212david51 View Post
It wasn't the heat, it was the lack of water.
Every pen has automatic waterers.

It was the sudden change from very cool to hot.

Old 06-17-2022, 11:02 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
And the big take away for all of us from all of this --- is the argument that this was a stolen election has been for the most part dropped.

Few Trump loyalists and Trump are hanging on for dear life but many of the original supporters of this claim have quietly let the argument drop.

They are not fighting to prove that made up truth anymore.

Sos go ahead -- moan about the committee showing a one sided picture of Trump leaving Pence to 'hang' so to speak......okay -- that does not make your case any beetter.

Old 06-17-2022, 11:14 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
I guess this past month be best time for me to go and see lots of cows grazing instead of fall/winter.

Old 06-17-2022, 01:08 PM

15,821 posts, read 6,527,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post
There are tons of dairy farms in the Sonoran desert, where it regularly reaches 115F daily during the summer months and guess what happens...they don't die from heat.

There are also millions of cows in India and extremely hot and humid landmass and the cows there are dying from heat either.
Presumably the cattle herders in those locales have adapted to caring for their animals in those conditions.

Livestock, veterinary experts explain heat-related deaths of Kansas cattle

Quote:
Cattle in the Sunflower State are used to coping with heat and humidity. There have been hotter stretches in Kansas, but what made this situation stand out in a detrimental way for the cattle’s health has to do, in part, with the recent rain ahead of the heat wave.

The rain made the pens muddy. Humidity was higher than normal. There was no breeze and temperatures in parts of southwest Kansas spiked well beyond 100 degrees.

Beef expert Corbitt Wall said all of this could have made temperatures in feedlot pens much higher.

“The guys take good care of the cattle. It’s no different than having a bad winter storm, it just happens,” Wall said.
Many were market-ready cattle, weighing in well beyond 1,000 pounds. On top of that, the year overall had been cooler than normal prior to the recent heatwave and the cattle weren’t adjusted to the temperature spike, still shedding winter coats.
Hence, no conspiracy is needed to explain the losses. It was just another dramatic weather shift, which has been happening a lot lately for reasons already documented.

Old 06-17-2022, 01:13 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Am I the only one who has never heard of this crazy weather phenomenon? As unusual and rare as this “heat burst” is said to be, it strikes me as totally bizarre that in all my years on this rock, I have never heard one mention of this before, ever. And given my interest in the strange and bizarre over my many years of life, it just seems odd that such a thing could have escaped my awareness.

I’m open to the possibility that many bizarre things could exist that I haven’t been previously exposed to, but I’m also aware of things like the Mandela effect, as well as personal experiences that defy rational explanation.

I don’t know what to make of it. We just seem to be experiencing a very large number of events which effect food supplies … and I am not a big believer in coincidences.
I have never heard of a heat burst that extreme but have experienced one at night once before, but temp got into the 90s not 100s. The wind probably didn't gust over 50 mph. So, there were no severe after effects the next morning. Since they can happen in the middle of the night most people aren't going to know they happened, except for the most rare and extreme ones.

Old 06-17-2022, 02:40 PM

4,560 posts, read 4,097,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
Oh boy. Down the rabbit hole we go.

Warning, for graphic imagery:

https://twitter.com/ViralNewsNYC/sta...14909011861504

https://bigleaguepolitics.com/breaki...-its-not-heat/

Pretty recently I would have laughed you out of the room if you had tried to convince me the Feds and/or globalist forces were purposely sabotaging our food supply.

But take a look around. As several other posters have put it in the past "If they were trying to destroy the country, would they do anything differently?"

My instinctual answer to that question gives me foreboding pause.
More likely is that businesses ignore safety standards and maintaining equipment then something happens.

https://amp.theguardian.com/environm...holder-profits

After all Trump was working on getting rid of “burdensome” regulations for years.

Stupidity laziness and greed are more likely than a giant conspiracy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies