Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2022, 02:48 PM

43,128 posts, read 18,290,317 times

Advertisements

Sad story...they could have mitigated it with less cattle in those feedlots...tell the ranchers to hold on and only allow a limited number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2022, 02:50 PM

11,502 posts, read 6,016,021 times
I blame the Pfizer Covid vaccines.

OK, all joking aside...

Yep, this is how conspiracy theories spread.

We have natural disasters that hurt food production. OK, that happens. Then you read about a sudden rash of food plants. All of a sudden there is a war which destroys world fertilizer output. TMaybe it has happened, but I have never heard of it. Then you have China buying up all of our farmland. You have US government officials warning of coming food shortages.

Then something like this happens with a huge and sudden cattle die-off the scale of which I have never heard of before. Maybe it happened before and I just never heard.

Is it any wonder your mind automatically tends to search for some bogeyman with a sinister evil plan, rather than considering it is just a confluence of coincidences coming together in a chance once-per-generation event.

Who knows? It doesn't seem like it can all be just random coincidence.

Old 06-16-2022, 02:53 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
The cattle in the video were all Black Angus, it appeared.

They are a cold-weather breed that tolerates snowy cold winters very well, but can't tolerate 100º temps for very long. Summer temps in the High Plains and throughout the Northwest rarely climb above the low 90s, which usually come in mid-summer; cattle do adjust to the heat cycle, but this is a very early and severe heat wave, so it's extra-hard on the cows.

Most of the American beef cattle need a lot of shade and plenty of water in hot temps. Drinking does cool them, but they can't drink and hold enough water in high temps; the cows will cool down by standing in a pond or lying close to it where the ground is cooler from the evaporating water.
In shade, all they need is some breeze to carry off their excess heat. Shade in dead calm doesn't help them very much, unless there's so much of it, such as in a forest, the temps are a few degrees cooler.

Cattle don't sweat like horses, they can only shed heat by panting like dogs. There are a couple of breeds that are heat tolerant, however- the Bramhin cattle from India do well, as to the Santa Gerturadas, an American cross-breed. Both are easily distinguishable by the large hump they carry on their shoulders.c

With all the common breeds, a few degrees of heat make all the difference. Heat stroke can set in at 101º when a cow can survive at 96º for many days as long as the nights cool down. If the night-time hours stay very warm, the cattle can't shed enough internal heat to survive another day's high temps.
Cows are actively grazing at night during heat waves. During the day, they will shade up and chew their cuds all day. During normal summer temps, they chew cud only in the hottest part of the day.

Since they must chew cud to digest their feed, if they are too lethargic to chew, or too dry to chew the cud, they'll die from pinched gut. Most of the water they drink stays in one belly chamber for chewing the cud. That chamber has to have plenty of water in it all the time, but it can only hold so much water.

High heat can do a lot of bad things to cattle feed too.
Molds often spore in heat, and some are lethal. The mold can grow in water and on land. And during hot weather, a dead animal in a watering pond can allow Cholera to grow in the water. Cholera can kill any animal that drinks the infected water. So sometimes, there's a die-off in a place with plenty of shade, wind, and water.

Old 06-16-2022, 02:57 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,636 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I blame the Pfizer Covid vaccines.

OK, all joking aside...

Yep, this is how conspiracy theories spread.

We have natural disasters that hurt food production. OK, that happens. Then you read about a sudden rash of food plants. All of a sudden there is a war which destroys world fertilizer output. TMaybe it has happened, but I have never heard of it. Then you have China buying up all of our farmland. You have US government officials warning of coming food shortages.

Then something like this happens with a huge and sudden cattle die-off the scale of which I have never heard of before. Maybe it happened before and I just never heard.

Is it any wonder your mind automatically tends to search for some bogeyman with a sinister evil plan, rather than considering it is just a confluence of coincidences coming together in a chance once-per-generation event.

Who knows? It doesn't seem like it can all be just random coincidence.
It sounds like the heat spike was very unusual and not predicted. It does seem it would be helpful to have some kind of mobile crop sprinkler system like you see in cotton fields in Lubbock to shower the cattle off in case this happens.

I agree, sad.

Old 06-16-2022, 03:04 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,494,303 times
I saw thousands of cattle fenced in on bare ground, not allowed to go where the grass is. Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations are convenient for ranchers' profits and low meat prices, until they all drop dead. Plains ranchers will eventually need to knock down all the fences and relearn the older methods of herding.

43,128 posts, read 18,290,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
You know what, Rhody.

I think whoever was pushing for genetically engineering Beef Cattle to make them more heat resistant in my last link did this. Probly snuck in the dark of night, and filled their pastures with rattlesnakes, just so they can move forward with genetically engineering them, pointing to the bogus cause of death being heat stress.

I bet that's what happened. It's not that the conditions were known to be lethal, and the cows were exhibiting signs of extreme heat stress before they died. It was rattlesnakes.
Go figure...when man wants to play god. The big operators have thousands upon thousands of heads of cattle. I guess it's better for them to have "science" do the work.

There's quite an easy way to produce more heat tolerant cattle...

They are called Brangus. Plenty of them in Texas...had quite a few myself in Texas DURING A 7 YEAR DROUGHT.
Small ranchers cross breed.

https://www.thecattlesite.com/breeds/beef/43/brangus/

15,754 posts, read 7,600,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
Oh boy. Down the rabbit hole we go.

Warning, for graphic imagery:

https://twitter.com/ViralNewsNYC/sta...14909011861504

https://bigleaguepolitics.com/breaki...-its-not-heat/

Pretty recently I would have laughed you out of the room if you had tried to convince me the Feds and/or globalist forces were purposely sabotaging our food supply.

But take a look around. As several other posters have put it in the past "If they were trying to destroy the country, would they do anything differently?"

My instinctual answer to that question gives me foreboding pause.
Farming in the 1930s
Culling the Herds

"During the early years of the Depression, livestock prices dropped disastrously. Officials with the New Deal believed prices were down because farmers were still producing too many commodities like hogs and cotton. The solution proposed in the Agricultural Adjustment Act of 1933 was to reduce the supply.
<snip>
The hogs and cattle were simply killed."

Old 06-16-2022, 03:17 PM

21,149 posts, read 19,729,843 times
Thousands of years of cattle husbandry and we can't figure out how to protect animals on a hot day?

Old 06-16-2022, 03:17 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,310,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
It does. And while thinking the government is responsible for this, which i think is a stretch, i don't rule out a case of domestic terrorism.
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/15/heat...tate-says.html

several different folks in position to have an idea have been quoted.

whether it's 2,000 or 10,000 they know it's the excessive heat and it's between 0.08% and 0.4% of Kansas' herd alone.

Old 06-16-2022, 03:44 PM
Status: "Do not pass GO, do not collect $300 (used to be $200)" (set 11 days ago)

600 posts, read 274,325 times
I can't even put my head in the sand, since it's too darned hot outside.
RIP, I certainly wouldn't wish heat death on either people or animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies