Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2022, 07:49 AM

19,816 posts, read 9,381,719 times

Advertisements

It seems to me that we are now entering a period where almost everything that people could depend on regarding our government protecting individual freedom is now very uncertain. I am talking about the right to privacy, the right to express one's non-violent opinion without possibly being considered a domestic terrorist, the right to make one's own medical choices including the right to refuse injecting something in one's body that might actually be unsafe, the right to have a say in what one's children is being taught in schools which they pay for (either directly or through taxes) -- what am I missing here?

So by "giving up" on the U.S., I am almost at the point that I will no longer expect anything from the government except for it to exert more control over, and less regard for, ordinary citizens.

And so, for myself, I am just going to provide for myself to the best of my ability and hope for the best. In my opinion, the U.S. as I knew it for six decades is history.

Last edited by katharsis; 06-25-2022 at 08:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2022, 07:50 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,994,810 times
katharsis, I think it's time to take a deep breath.

The center, which is most of this country, is about to ROAR. In numbers too big to ignore, as the song goes.

We're going to take back our America as we knew it. From the crazies.

Old 06-25-2022, 07:53 AM

19,056 posts, read 27,627,799 times
Fire away. Country will sure notice this and run to kneel to you and ask for forgiveness. Sarcasm.

Remember one wisdom:

If you do not care for politics
Politics will take care of you.

Old 06-25-2022, 07:59 AM

27,582 posts, read 28,693,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
And so, for myself, I am just going to provide for myself to the best of my ability and hope for the best.
This is what people should have been doing all along.

You can’t expect to have agreement of opinion in a country of 330 million people of diverse backgrounds.

It’s simply not going to happen.

Old 06-25-2022, 08:02 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,616,966 times
This country won its independence and freedom due to citizens bringing violence into politics!

We are getting ready to celebrate July 4th soon!

***Which is celebrating citizens that resorted to violence AGAINST THEIR OWN GOVT.

Old 06-25-2022, 08:05 AM

100 posts, read 61,574 times
Yes, I certainly am. This country doesn't seem to be moving in a positive direction.

Old 06-25-2022, 08:07 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,277,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

The center, which is most of this country, is about to ROAR. In numbers too big to ignore, as the song goes.

Kewl !!!

Who are “the Crazies ? I’m sure we all want to avoid “ the Crazies”.

Old 06-25-2022, 08:09 AM

78,448 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
It seems to me that we are now entering a period where almost everything that people could depend on regarding our government protecting individual freedom is now very uncertain. I am talking about the right to privacy, the right to express one's non-violent opinion without possibly being considered a domestic terrorist, the right to make one's own medical choices including the right to refuse injecting something in one's body that might actually be unsafe, the right to have a say in what one's children is being taught in schools which they pay for (either directly or through taxes) -- what else am I missing here?

So by "giving up" on the U.S., I am almost at the point that I will no longer expect anything from the government except for it to exert more control over, and less regard for, ordinary citizens.

And so, for myself, I am just going to provide for myself to the best of my ability and hope for the best. In my opinion, the U.S. as I knew it for six decades is history.
No. I recognize that things aren't nearly as bad as the 24-7 news cycle needs to present in order to get ratings in a overly competitive environment.

Also I limit my news intake.

If you're around the news cycle all day or spend hours and hours listening to it and pundits, you're going to damage your perception of reality.

Old 06-25-2022, 08:09 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

I really doubt that. There is no mechanism for the centrist majority to be heard. Here is what Jeff Lawson, CEO of Twillio had to say about it yesterday.

Quote:
“Whether the issue is gun safety, women’s rights, or even electing officials with a majority of the votes, it’s getting harder and harder for government to reflect the will of the majority. Often times the vast majority. We need reform.

“I believe the very legitimacy of our government starting to come into question. Between a perfectly gerrymandered house, a senate ruled by filibuster-ready minority, and a Supreme Court whose moral authority is eroded by misappropriated seats… It’s time for reform.”
He is addressing the undemocratic nature of the Federal government, but the same is true in almost every state - red or blue. There is no way the United States or many of its several states can claim to be a democracy anymore.

Old 06-25-2022, 08:11 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,297,747 times
Over the 50,000 year history of our species since we started to farm, domesticate animals, and subsist in city states over smaller tribes, this type of authoritarian control has been common. It's "same ship, different day" type stuff. It's up for us to defend our rights from authoritarians in order to keep them, and they infiltrate both political parties are are spread all across the political spectrum. North and South Dakota had abortion bans that automatically took place if Roe vs Wade was reversed. I didn't know that. I hope they file an initiative to re-legalize at some point, because the republican legislatures won't do it. How silly is it democrats want to ban nicotine while decriminalizing basically all other drugs? So little consistency from either political party, because they are only human.

We are a species that have a herd mentality and like to try to assimilate others into our collective mindset. It is what it is. Checks and balances are what protect against this, until they don't.

Show me a developed country with our level of quality of life that isn't a micro-managed nanny state. They all are. The more heavily the control system the worse off things get. See China and North Korea as examples. On the other hand less controls can mean more corruption. The US certainly has a corruption problem, a bloat problem, and overspending problem. Most underdeveloped nations like Mexico and Brazil certainly do. However, the ruling class in any system end up being corrupt by design. This is why revolutions happen, and populations overthrow their leaders, as their blatant hypocrisy eventually causes people to revolt. This will happen eventually with the current leaders. It's just a matter of time.

Last edited by sholomar; 06-25-2022 at 08:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies