Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2022, 08:13 AM

45,280 posts, read 26,536,890 times

Advertisements

Live outside the lunatic left (and beware the ones claiming to be centrist. They are a loud radical minority) as best you can and pray for small victories like we've seen in Florida and the most recent Supreme Court decision
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2022, 08:14 AM

19,897 posts, read 9,453,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
This is what people should have been doing all along.

You can’t expect to have agreement of opinion in a country of 330 million people of diverse backgrounds.

It’s simply not going to happen.
Yes, the bold (looking after one's own interests and providing for oneself) is what I have always done, but I have also been concerned about the country in general and trying to be "fair" to those who disagree with me and to the less fortunate. However, now I feel that the only ones looking after us is us (meaning ourselves, as individuals).

I know that I cannot be responsible for whatever anyone else does, or what the government does, but I always thought that the government would at least continue the pretense of making decisions "for the "greater good", and that it would correct obvious injustices, and/or its decisions would benefit the majority of its citizens.

It is very disheartening to now see that they evidently n longer care about at least presenting some kind of facade to disguise the truth. And it would be just as disheartening for me to adopt a very selfish attitude in general IF it comes to that. I mean, I always vote for my own selfish interests, as I think most people do, but what is different is that I am starting to not care about "the other side" at ALL -- and I would truly "hate" myself if it comes to that.

And, yes, this might be just a vent, but I am truly wondering how many people are starting to think and feel the same way.

Last edited by katharsis; 06-25-2022 at 09:05 AM..

Old 06-25-2022, 08:15 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,664,808 times
Not like some of us old geezers have a choice. Unless you are richer than god, in which case any country will welcome you with open arms, then nobody wants old retired guys that will take lot resources to keep alive.

But hey all you young guys, might want to think about your future in the USA.... you will get old, no matter what you think, and the neo-fascist USA doesnt give a fig about anybody that isnt either a fetus or wealthy. In the rat race here only the winning rats are taken care of.

Old 06-25-2022, 08:17 AM

2,912 posts, read 1,253,888 times
The US we knew ended on 1/20/21. It's never coming back. The only hope is a new beginning with the sane portion of the populace.

Old 06-25-2022, 08:18 AM

8,885 posts, read 4,608,813 times
I see the recent events as a giant step in the right direction. We have a SCOTUS that is defending the Constitution, which is the best thing I've ever seen. And the upcoming midterm elections will help break the stranglehold the far far left has on Congress.

2,042 posts, read 883,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
It seems to me that we are now entering a period where almost everything that people could depend on regarding our government protecting individual freedom is now very uncertain. I am talking about the right to privacy, the right to express one's non-violent opinion without possibly being considered a domestic terrorist, the right to make one's own medical choices including the right to refuse injecting something in one's body that might actually be unsafe, the right to have a say in what one's children is being taught in schools which they pay for (either directly or through taxes) -- what else am I missing here?

So by "giving up" on the U.S., I am almost at the point that I will no longer expect anything from the government except for it to exert more control over, and less regard for, ordinary citizens.

And so, for myself, I am just going to provide for myself to the best of my ability and hope for the best. In my opinion, the U.S. as I knew it for six decades is history.
No one likes a quitter.

14,245 posts, read 4,620,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
katharsis, I think it's time to take a deep breath.

The center, which is most of this country, is about to ROAR. In numbers too big to ignore, as the song goes.

We're going to take back our America as we knew it. From the crazies.
Starting with this administration.

November can't come fast enough.

Old 06-25-2022, 08:19 AM

60 posts, read 21,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Live outside the lunatic left (and beware the ones claiming to be centrist. They are a loud radical minority) as best you can and pray for small victories like we've seen in Florida and the most recent Supreme Court decision

Old 06-25-2022, 08:21 AM

2,042 posts, read 883,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkHammer View Post
The US we knew ended on 1/20/21. It's never coming back. The only hope is a new beginning with the sane portion of the populace.
What do you think citizens were thinking during the Civil War?

Old 06-25-2022, 08:22 AM

4,582 posts, read 2,297,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
katharsis, I think it's time to take a deep breath.

The center, which is most of this country, is about to ROAR. In numbers too big to ignore, as the song goes.

We're going to take back our America as we knew it. From the crazies.

Except that who you view as crazies and who I view as crazies are probably two different things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies