Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2022, 10:51 AM

3,085 posts, read 1,554,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfinglegend View Post
Anyone who claims centrist on here is always a far left cook.

Problem is liberals are brainwashed by social media to realize that everyone is fleeing to conservative states as they value sanity over insanity that the left creates.

As they say, it’s the economy stupid.
and those on the right arent trustworthy either. Both extremes are dangerous for the people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2022, 10:53 AM
bu2

24,119 posts, read 14,925,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I really doubt that. There is no mechanism for the centrist majority to be heard. Here is what Jeff Lawson, CEO of Twillio had to say about it yesterday.

He is addressing the undemocratic nature of the Federal government, but the same is true in almost every state - red or blue. There is no way the United States or many of its several states can claim to be a democracy anymore.
Actually what he said was that he didn't like it because he wasn't getting his way. His extreme left opinions that are the majority in his circle of friends, aren't getting implemented all the time.

Old 06-25-2022, 10:53 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,148,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
So its ok to let a woman bleed to death when a medical procedure technically called an abortion could save her life? Thats ok with you? You do know that many times in a natural miscarriage the medical procedure that might have to be used may scrape fetal tissue out of the uterus.Technically the sick jerks that run some states think that isnt ok either. another sick segment of this society.
Quote me the law that says ectopic pregnancy or miscarriage care is being banned......

Old 06-25-2022, 10:59 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
The US as we know it is not coming to an end, if we can reign in the authoritarianism from the extreme left and right. Whether you want to believe it or not, if you support banning contraceptives that would make you "extreme right."

Banning abortion, well not to the same degree... I can understand the logical rationale behind banning the killing of a living fetus, even if I disagree with it.... but making it harder to access things to allow safe sex and prevent pregnancy that's the domain of puritan loonies... people who think abstinence is the answer.

There will certainly be a swing back towards blue if republicans respond to democrat wokeness with their own brand of puritan authoritarianism. What good will that do if democrats respond in kind out of spite and revenge with their own form of looniness? Both parties are becoming more polarized, while normal people are stuck in the middle. We need to excise the loons from our institutions and extend an olive branch of understanding towards each other before it's too late.
One of the problems is the extremes of both parties provide a lot of the money and volunteers. That tends to push both parties to the extremes. The left has taken to harassment of those who don't tow the line and so the Democrats have moved so far left, Obama would be kicked out of the party for his 2004 speech, let alone Bill Clinton.

Old 06-25-2022, 11:00 AM

21,957 posts, read 9,545,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
Right. As long as freedom is shoveled into a crumbling heap it's alright, isn't it. The abortion bans proves that the Government is out of control and America is suffering deeper then I previously thought. But then again you seem to hate America and freedom so I guess you don't care about that.
You are showing your ignorance when you say 'abortion ban'.

Old 06-25-2022, 11:08 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Blakeley View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with the second paragraph of your post OP .

On the other hand while I value individual freedom greatly as well , the trouble with American society these days is hardly limited to the ever increasing disregard the federal government has for the individual rights of its citizens , but also the fact that the very roots of American order itself have greatly sunk into decline in my view .

Individual freedom without the moderating restraint of morality , custom , tradition , and non state derived institutions ( such as that of the traditional extended family ) is worth very little in the end since how can a populace that is so divided/lacking in a common framework of values be expected to resist a tyrannical government ?

It is no accident that in spite of the fact that a significant strand of American political culture greatly refers to the theme of individual freedom to this very day , no real resistance to federal overreach has emerged and part of the reason as to why is because American society as a whole has been stripped of its original foundational values besides the ( increasingly empty ) appeal to the cause of individual freedom many still make .

The truth is that individual freedom being ( as the term obviously implies ) rather individually focused in scope , is not great enough of a cause for large groups of people to effectively rally around in order to resist an out of control government .

After all in practice the actual limitations of one's individual freedom greatly vary from person to person , which leads to the situation we can see today where those who have ( f.ex ) never had any negative experiences with the state quite often feel no desire to stand with those who have .

In short the overly individualistic " I don't care about you as long as I got mine " attitude that's so prevalent in contemporary American society is one of the main stumbling blocks to rolling back governmental overreach , since said thing necessarily requires collective as opposed to individual action .

All this typed I'm not in the least about ready to give up on the USA , though I quite honestly see a much rougher road ahead for it in terms of it's populace being able to effectively resist future tyranny , than I do for that of the populace of certain other countries .
One issue we have no is we no longer have a functioning liberal party. The Democrats have become progressives, where individual rights are no longer important, group rights are. And the end justifies the means. The left was always there to put a brake on the excesses of the right. But now, the leftist party has more authoritarian tendencies than the right.

I used to view the ACLU as essential. They even stood up for the Nazis right to march in Skokie, Illinois. However, they have abandoned any belief in individual rights They just support whatever position the progressive left supports, which often limits inidividual rights.

Old 06-25-2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Perhaps that is what you interpret feticide to mean. But saving a woman's life by abortion is NOT feticide (criminal abortion).

And coincidentally, when a pregnant woman is murdered, the accused is charged with TWO murders.

Deliberately destroying unwanted unborn children cannot be construed to be civilized, moral, nor logical, even if made legal, by some twisted evil people who call themselves "Justices." It only shows the depths of depravity of the legal profession and its collusion with villainy.

A civilization formed to help secure the right to life of its members cannot endure feticide-for-convenience. There can be no accounting for the loss of irreplaceable individuals who were prevented from existing. No outcry can be heard from the aborted. Their voices can never be heard.

Calling abortion a "right of privacy," is like calling a rapist an undocumented gynecologist. Don't believe me - poll all those who wish they weren't aborted. Oh, right. They're DEAD. And those who wished them DEAD or helped KILL them have it on their conscience.
you didnt answer my question. There are states that are proposing to make ANY intervention that causes the removal of a fetus even for medical reasons to save the mothers life, a crime. Thats ok with you?

Old 06-25-2022, 11:09 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,071,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
And, yes, this might be just a vent, but I am truly wondering how many people are starting to think and feel the same way.

At times, yes; but then I watch history channel documentaries; and realize how much worse things have been in the past for our ancestors.
As mentioned, you'll see the backlash on some of your very valid concerns before Thanksgiving; a tsunami of red.

Give up?, never!; then my own ancestors who fought in wars would have died for nothing.
Keep the faith, it isn't over by a long shot.

Old 06-25-2022, 11:13 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
So its ok to let a woman bleed to death when a medical procedure technically called an abortion could save her life? Thats ok with you? You do know that many times in a natural miscarriage the medical procedure that might have to be used may scrape fetal tissue out of the uterus.Technically the sick jerks that run some states think that isnt ok either. another sick segment of this society.
Do you REALLY believe this? Nobody is proposing eliminating abortions when the health of the Mother is at stake.

You DESPERATELY need better sources of information.

Old 06-25-2022, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Quote me the law that says ectopic pregnancy or miscarriage care is being banned......
Next time try google.. theres lots of info about this possible problem.. I'll help you this time with one example:
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...c-pregnancies/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies