Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2022, 01:27 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,554,984 times

Advertisements

It seems to me that SCOTUS would have us believe that this overturn was a legal decision based on the Constitution. Pro-Life advocates talk about the sanctity of life. Pro-Choice speaks to the issue as one of medical health. I've yet to find anyone mentioning it it terms of the children of the United States -- a human approach. I started thinking about the parents and their children I've encountered in my life, and those women I've known that have had abortions. In my six plus decades, I've had the questionable fortune of living amongst those in extreme poverty, as well as those with extreme wealth. Sadly, unwanted children live in both, and where the poor are more visible (shelters, foster care, abusive homes), those in wealthy neighborhoods are just as miserable.

I cannot quantify those in wealthy situations; no groups track them. Many are tracking the poor. Since a major factor in the many surveys taken from women who've chosen to abort, finances and escaping poverty were large. I think we can look at this group and find some "aftershocks," that could credibly result for the SCOTUS decision.

According to the CDC, 5,140,124 pregnancies were aborted in the years 2012 - 2019. Kids Count follow and report on foster care populations. I combined the numbers here, sensing that had the pregnancies resulted in a live birth, a large portion would end up in foster care. The remainder would likely remain in the home, and fall into another human service program, or no program -- just abused:

Year Aborted Foster Care
2012 699,202 397,091
2013 664,435 402,172
2014 652,639 415,129
2015 638,169 427,901
2016 623,471 437,465
2017 612,719 442,733
2018 619,591 437,283
2019 629,898 426,749

According to the Guttmacher Institute, after in-depth surveys of significant sample of women who aborted, found a number of reasons for their decision to abort. I provide their headers:
- Interference with school or career, and unreadiness for a child or another child.
- Financial difficulties
- Single motherhood and relationship problems
- Completed childbearing and responsibility to dependents
- Fetal and personal health

Sources:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aborti..._United_States
https://datacenter.kidscount.org/
https://www.guttmacher.org/journals/...e-perspectives

One could quickly surmise that had the aborted been born, by the end of 2019, the US foster care system would have an additional 5.6 million youths to support.

I haven't done an in-depth study of the state of those programs, but doubt that they have had adequate resources for the 423,313 they averaged for that time period.

I wonder, are the states with their trigger laws prepared for the increased populations that will undoubtedly hit their human services programs?

As for the mothers, if they are not able to pursue the education that would offer them the means to a better income, will they be forced instead to go on welfare? Or possibly resort to crime, or enter into abusive relationships in order to get the support they cannot make for themselves?

How will the states provide resources to address those programs?

I would be interested to know how the trigger states are preparing to serve their portion of the 643 thousand unwanted children resulting from the overturn, along with the same number of women -- each year.

All intelligible, non-religious responses are welcome -- unless someone knows of churches that are going to sign up to support these women and children.

Old 06-27-2022, 01:31 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,021,357 times
You are not the only one who has asked about the children. I asked a nearly identical question although I separated it into specifics (specific individual questions involving what happens when the children are born). I asked how states will pay for all of these children.

Expect to hear a lot of deflection, a lot of "this is why abortion is wrong," and even "the women will just go to another state for the abortion."

The one and only answer is: the foster care system will bloat further, poverty will significantly increase (women seeking abortions before this decision already include 49% below the poverty level), an increase in taxes in those states, and a sudden reversal of "federal should have nothing to do with it" as these states start begging for money.

AND...a whole lot more miserable, poor children that nobody REALLY cares about...not once they're born.

Old 06-27-2022, 04:00 PM

3,089 posts, read 1,550,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
You are not the only one who has asked about the children. I asked a nearly identical question although I separated it into specifics (specific individual questions involving what happens when the children are born). I asked how states will pay for all of these children.

Expect to hear a lot of deflection, a lot of "this is why abortion is wrong," and even "the women will just go to another state for the abortion."

The one and only answer is: the foster care system will bloat further, poverty will significantly increase (women seeking abortions before this decision already include 49% below the poverty level), an increase in taxes in those states, and a sudden reversal of "federal should have nothing to do with it" as these states start begging for money.

AND...a whole lot more miserable, poor children that nobody REALLY cares about...not once they're born.
States cannot cope even now with the number of foster children in the system. Just look at famous cases in the press where foster children were given back to their mothers/fathers, many with criminal histories, and the children disappear. Probably abused, sex trafficking is a real issue, possibly murdered, homeless and exposed and addicted to illicit drugs. Thats happening now. Then Add a few more tens of thousands to the case load.

Old 06-27-2022, 04:13 PM

35,714 posts, read 21,081,460 times
They don’t care about the babies, But Gov Noem, a female, has vowed to help pregnant mothers in South Dakota. She has the resources as their economy is good and it’s sparsely populated. Mostly white, with native Americans being about 8% of their population. They can offer assistance, but the reality is in other states it’s not happening.

Old 06-27-2022, 04:18 PM

6,036 posts, read 3,749,644 times
Since it will now be up to the states, I think the solution is to put the issue (abortion with limitations) on the ballot in the states that don't currently permit abortions or that permit abortion only in very rare circumstances. I believe that a majority of voters WILL support abortion with reasonable limitations. I'm a conservative Republican and I would SUPPORT such a law.

Old 06-27-2022, 04:53 PM

38,646 posts, read 26,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
It seems to me that SCOTUS would have us believe that this overturn was a legal decision based on the Constitution. Pro-Life advocates talk about the sanctity of life. Pro-Choice speaks to the issue as one of medical health. I've yet to find anyone mentioning it it terms of the children of the United States -- a human approach. I started thinking about the parents and their children I've encountered in my life, and those women I've known that have had abortions. In my six plus decades, I've had the questionable fortune of living amongst those in extreme poverty, as well as those with extreme wealth. Sadly, unwanted children live in both, and where the poor are more visible (shelters, foster care, abusive homes), those in wealthy neighborhoods are just as miserable.

I cannot quantify those in wealthy situations; no groups track them. Many are tracking the poor. Since a major factor in the many surveys taken from women who've chosen to abort, finances and escaping poverty were large. I think we can look at this group and find some "aftershocks," that could credibly result for the SCOTUS decision.

According to the CDC, 5,140,124 pregnancies were aborted in the years 2012 - 2019. Kids Count follow and report on foster care populations. I combined the numbers here, sensing that had the pregnancies resulted in a live birth, a large portion would end up in foster care. The remainder would likely remain in the home, and fall into another human service program, or no program -- just abused:

Year Aborted Foster Care
2012 699,202 397,091
2013 664,435 402,172
2014 652,639 415,129
2015 638,169 427,901
2016 623,471 437,465
2017 612,719 442,733
2018 619,591 437,283
2019 629,898 426,749

According to the Guttmacher Institute, after in-depth surveys of significant sample of women who aborted, found a number of reasons for their decision to abort. I provide their headers:
- Interference with school or career, and unreadiness for a child or another child.
- Financial difficulties
- Single motherhood and relationship problems
- Completed childbearing and responsibility to dependents
- Fetal and personal health

Sources:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aborti..._United_States
https://datacenter.kidscount.org/
https://www.guttmacher.org/journals/...e-perspectives

One could quickly surmise that had the aborted been born, by the end of 2019, the US foster care system would have an additional 5.6 million youths to support.

I haven't done an in-depth study of the state of those programs, but doubt that they have had adequate resources for the 423,313 they averaged for that time period.

I wonder, are the states with their trigger laws prepared for the increased populations that will undoubtedly hit their human services programs?

As for the mothers, if they are not able to pursue the education that would offer them the means to a better income, will they be forced instead to go on welfare? Or possibly resort to crime, or enter into abusive relationships in order to get the support they cannot make for themselves?

How will the states provide resources to address those programs?

I would be interested to know how the trigger states are preparing to serve their portion of the 643 thousand unwanted children resulting from the overturn, along with the same number of women -- each year.

All intelligible, non-religious responses are welcome -- unless someone knows of churches that are going to sign up to support these women and children.

Always easy to make a point when you can just pull assumption and pretend they're facts.

Assumption 1: the rate of "unplanned" pregnancies would not change once the option of after the fact birth control via abortion was eliminated.

Assumption 2: healthy newborns are no more adoptable than older kids stuck in long-term foster care.

Assumption 3: a child born to parents that didn't want him/her wouldn't be raised by close relatives that would love the child.

Assumption 4: couples hoping to adopt but frustrated by the long wait for a newborn would continue adopting children from halfway around the world (Russia, China, Africa) after more American newborns became available.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-28-2022 at 01:50 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 06-27-2022, 06:37 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
People who want to kill babies talking about everyone else not caring about babies/children.

Old 06-27-2022, 06:40 PM

8,957 posts, read 2,562,333 times
It's kind of irrelevant to the law.

The SCOTUS decision was based on the fact that there is absolutely no basis for a "right" to abortion. Simple as that.

If states want to ban it, they are free to do so, if they want to chop up babies the day before they are born, they are free to do that as well.

Old 06-27-2022, 06:42 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 12 days ago)

35,639 posts, read 17,994,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
People who want to kill babies talking about everyone else not caring about babies/children.
People who insist mothers carry unwanted embryos talking about how people who work within the foster care system don't care about babies.

Old 06-27-2022, 06:45 PM

35,714 posts, read 21,081,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I don’t want to kill babies. But I’m understanding the reasons. Facts are most will be unwanted and they are abused. Some will end up in foster care, how many do well there ? Many will now be in poorer homes and with single moms. If they don’t do well, per the stats now expect many more unhappy kids. Many moms will be desperate and take unhealthy desperate measures. Get out of the bubble.

You are expecting folks will go celibate because the governors ban abortion. Tell me, long term, what are you expecting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.