Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2022, 09:57 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Humans kill many living creatures if we're really going to get into it. Why is it not murder to step on an ant or kill a mouse that's in one's home? If we're really going to get philosophical about it how do we as humans have a right to kill any animal to eat it (or to hunt for fun) and then get so angry about a mother killing her own 6-8 week old fetus?

I'm disgusted by people killing beautiful animals that are far more rare than a human being. Or even rabbits and deer. Why is it allowed to happen? and don't give me the overpopulation crap...humans have overpopulated the earth more than any other animal

So you see a human fetus as no more than an ant?

A parasite to be removed, lest it cause you undue inconvenience?

Old 06-29-2022, 10:01 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Humans kill many living creatures if we're really going to get into it. Why is it not murder to step on an ant or kill a mouse that's in one's home? If we're really going to get philosophical about it how do we as humans have a right to kill any animal to eat it (or to hunt for fun) and then get so angry about a mother killing her own 6-8 week old fetus?

I'm disgusted by people killing beautiful animals that are far more rare than a human being. Or even rabbits and deer. Why is it allowed to happen? and don't give me the overpopulation crap...humans have overpopulated the earth more than any other animal
1- Animals kill animals all of the time. So either we are going to do it or they would do it.

2- If you are equating us with animals, you are missing the boat. We have a soul and spirit that animals do not have. Human life should have a higher priority than animal life. I am not saying animal life has NO priority.

3- Because human life should have a high priority, we should have a regard for it at whatever stage it is in.

Old 06-29-2022, 10:01 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why do we object to anyone killing anyone else at all? Abortion sets the precedent of killing solely for the sake of one's own convenience. Why doesn't that apply to anyone wishing to kill anyone else for the exact same reason? Equal Protection Clause. Either committing homicide for convenience is legal for all, or it's not.
There is a mercy and empathy factor, for one.

A first-trimester fetus (these account for 90% of abortions) lacks the nerve connections to fully feel pain or more to the point, to feel the emotional aspect of fear, which is a strong component of the experience of pain. In addition, it lacks experience.

A person who has been born can see, hear, feel, etc. everything, including pain and fear. It also immediately begins to accumulate experiences, which teach it to anticipate pain, cold, rejection, and so on, so suddenly coming upon a fully developed person of almost any age wielding a giant knife will add terror to the experience, delivering cruelty as well as far more pain than a 9-week (80% of abortions) embryo or 13-week (by this stage of development, 90% of abortions) fetus, or likely, even a 20-week fetus (although that latter case is getting into more iffy territory according to science, and anyway, accounts for fewer than 2% of abortions).

You say "why do we object to killing anyone else at all?" How about turning that around: why do we feel we *can* kill anyone at all, if it's the ultimate cruelty to prevent a currently non-developed entity from entering life? Why are capital punishment or war not considered murder and made illegal, for instance? The argument is usually "well, THAT person deserved it! An embryo is innocent." But if we are nobody to say an embryo isn't a fully formed entity (even though we are, but I'll leave that alone) then how are we anybody to say who really deserves to die and who doesn't? Based on what - our emotions? Our "side"? The morals of the day, which change all the time? Friendly fire?

If something with webbed fingers and undeveloped nerve connections, particularly in the brain, is a "whole" person and it's murder to stop its life, then it is exponentially more so of ANY fully formed human who has lived, been on this earth, has friends and family, may be supporting others, and has full knowledge and feeling of his or her impending doom.

It is or it ain't, as my mother used to say (that was from an old song, I believe). If ALL life is precious, therefore a webbed-handed 1/4" being with a tail is "fully human and it's murder to stop its life," then the same goes for capital punishment, war, self-defense killings, mercifully not attempting the re-start of a heart on a cancer patient in pain, and so on.

By the way, through willful neglect, isn't it therefore also murder to fight hard to not have to help support living people who are hungry? Aren't you an accessory?

If all life is precious and it is murder to end that life, then that's that. ALL life. Which is it?

ETA: By the way, I'm not comparing an embryo to a mass murderer (or even to a soldier with a good heart). I'm saying: there's no way to claim to be pro-"life" unilaterally if you believe there ARE circumsances where a person "should" die or it is "better" for a person to die (for example, not giving medication to a very ill patient, or not performing a painful surgery on a child the doctor knows will die, either from the surgery or regardless of the surgery but in pain). *If there are circumstances where it is acceptable to end life, no matter what we think of the life we're ending, then there are. If there are not, there are not.* If it is the latter, self-defense and war are out, unilaterally so again...what is it?

Last edited by JerZ; 06-29-2022 at 10:15 AM..

Old 06-29-2022, 10:03 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Will they put their money where their mouth is and pay all re-location expenses?

Bump up their pay if they move to a higher cost of living state?

If not, it's all window dressing and virtue signaling.

Old 06-29-2022, 10:08 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
There is a mercy factor, for one.

A first-trimester fetus lacks the nerve connections to fully feel pain or more to the point, to feel the emotional aspect of fear, which is a strong component of the experience of pain. A person who has been born can see, hear, feel, etc. everything, including pain and fear.
People in a coma can't feel pain or the emotional aspect of fear. Is it legal to kill them for the sake of convenience?

Quote:
You say "why do we object to killing anyone else at all?" How about turning that around: why do we feel we *can* kill anyone at all, if it's the ultimate cruelty to prevent a currently non-developed entity from entering life?
Good question, as that's what the pro-abortion contingent supports.

Quote:
Why are capital punishment or war not considered murder and made illegal, for instance?
Capital punishment is a sentence pronounced on one who has been convicted by due process of committing a heinous crime. War deaths are an act of national or self-defense. How has the child in utero committed any crime or committed an act that needs a response of self-defense in anything other than a case in which the mother's life is at risk? Where is the due process for the child in utero?

Old 06-29-2022, 10:09 AM

78,421 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Will they put their money where their mouth is and pay all re-location expenses?

Bump up their pay if they move to a higher cost of living state?

If not, it's all window dressing and virtue signaling.
Nope, nope and yep.

Yeah, love the logic that you can afford to move to another state in case you need abortions but couldn't afford to take a trip to another state to get one.

It's freakin' brilliant humor both in the absurdity of the whole thing and the fact that people are dumb enough fall for it as some sort of keen plan by google to help.

Old 06-29-2022, 10:10 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,243,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
No, states will need to do that. States will have to financially fill in all those gaps.

I'm sure that will mean even more red state welfare. But kids need to eat.
Exactly...the women that will be forced to have these kids aren't working for tech companies like google...those women can still get them even if they live in backwards states like Missouri or Ohio or Texas...the ones that can't afford to travel to have one will need more gov't benefits to help take care of them.

Old 06-29-2022, 10:13 AM

3,281 posts, read 1,418,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You know, when I see the types of remarks that you responded to here, I just picture someone with a lopsided, inane grin on their face typing willfully asinine remarks as an attempt to inflame. If someone claims incredibly unintelligent things about "all Democrats" or "all Republicans" obviously they are here not to engage in discussion but only to inflame. Best to just ignore and move past them. Nothing you say is going to make them any smarter.
Appreciate the suggestion….good, sensible advice. Between the frequent ignorant comments regarding vaccination and masking, the misogynistic statements regarding abortion, the xenophobic condemnation of immigrants coming to the US, and the fanatical belief that any reasonable restriction on gun ownership is a violation of God’s law, there really aren’t many opportunities to respond.

Old 06-29-2022, 10:20 AM

16,412 posts, read 8,215,049 times
Humans are the ones who have made themselves at the top of all other beings. At one point humans thought of themselves as better than black and brown skinned people. I was going to add women into that group but feels sometimes still like women are looked at as less than by some. So again, humans have created this hierarchy where they think they are better and more important than other living creatures.

Old 06-29-2022, 10:22 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
So you see a human fetus as no more than an ant?

A parasite to be removed, lest it cause you undue inconvenience?
I think this person is making a point: either we believe "all life is precious" or we don't. Do we? Do you?

Do you believe ALL life is precious?

Or let's just take it down to human life and no other life. Is all human life precious? Then war is now illegal, and killing in war is murder. Capital punishment is also murder. Fighting to keep your taxes instead of feeding a hungry child, and allowing that child to starve to death, makes you an accessory to murder.

People who claim they believe "all" life is precious, usually don't. Where the rubber hits the road, often it really comes down to: all life that still looks cute and hasn't done anything we personally think of as unsavory yet, is precious. After that, all bets are off.

The cruelty and irony being that that is the point where this life CAN feel ALL pain, fear, neglect, hunger, and anything else that's thrown at it.

So who's really more cruel?

And who, besides the now deceased Mother Teresa (and even her motives are now questionable based on her journals), truly believes "all" life is precious?

To pro-lifers, all BIRTH is precious. After that...the gloves come off and it's "let that mother feed the kid or else tough, she should have kept her legs closed."

Who's really the cruel faction here? And who is actually supporting *a person's life*?

Pro-birth virtue signalers want to prove how great they are by "saving babies," because that sounds cute. Babies! They're so cute.

THESE SAME people said, even right here on this forum the other day, that as babies they're "adoptable" but after that they're "hood rats for foster care."

That's pro-life? Nope. That's virtue signaling until birth, then...go starve, hood rat.

The hypocrisy - AND cruelty - are staggering. "I want God to think I'm a great person, so I'm going to work hard to force babies to be born into terrible conditions, then I'm going to walk off and let them all starve...but hey, I'll get to heaven."

I think we all know where the real cruelty lies, and the real hypocrisy, and I think we are all over the "pro-life people are such good people" lie. Baloney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies