Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2022, 07:43 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,055,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
I thought there was an internal drop safety near the striker to prevent that. Everything I've read seems to confirm that. I could be wrong.
Glock says it's about drops and also to help ensure the lateral pressure on the trigger does not make the gun go bang.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2022, 07:56 PM

7,505 posts, read 4,347,082 times
Quote:
I thought there was an internal drop safety near the striker to prevent that. Everything I've read seems to confirm that. I could be wrong.
No you're not wrong. There's a plunger in the slide that locks the striker (firing pin) in place. When the trigger is pulled all the way back there's a hump on the trigger bar that depresses the plunger which releases the striker.

Old 07-01-2022, 08:15 PM

7,505 posts, read 4,347,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
So tell me, if you're concerned about the lack of a mechanical safety on a semi-auto, just where did you find a revolver with one? In addition to the "trigger safety" tab on the front of the trigger, Glocks (and most other striker fired guns) have a long, slightly heavy trigger pull-exactly as a revolver does. If someone is going to be negligent and irresponsible with one, they are just as likely to the other. I would say that a DA revolver is a bit heavier than a striker gun, but it's typically a matter of degree.

My other issue with revolvers-the barrel is located higher above the gripping area, leading to more muzzle rise (flip) than most semis, all else the same. In addition, the grip doesn't have a "beavertail" and provides less leverage to control recoil, at least in a compact gun, as well as often a shorter grip.

Revolvers tend to be more difficult to shoot because of their long heavy trigger pull that not only has to fully withdraw the hammer and release it but it has to rotate the cylinder as well. Not only that but the recoil spring on a semi auto pistol absorbs some of the recoil.

Old 07-01-2022, 10:42 PM

13,238 posts, read 7,286,273 times
I find revolvers group better then semi-autos at least semi-autos where the barrel is not fixed to the frame like a 1911 design. I own a H&K P7-M10 .40 caliber I can group better then any of my 1911's with that. Muzzle flip has lot to do with the weight of the projectile .45 230 Grain vr .357 125 grain round.

Old 07-02-2022, 01:54 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,370,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Good ideas. I did not buy the Sig. It was the one she recommended. I Plan to go back and try a 45 larger gun and the ones people have mentioned here....thank you.

Im stocky not tall and have never had any issue with the recoil of the 3030 or the 45 70. The last one is a beast but I like it immensely. The Sig "pops" and reading this thread and all your suggestions I'm going to test fire a larger gun to see if I like it better. I want to feel like it's a part of me. that will obviously take time...
The Sig P365 is considered less snappy than many smaller guns but there are some bigger guns in 9mm that will shoot softer. The 9mm round is a snappier round but a 45 is going to hit a lot harder and start hurting more - if the 9mm is too snappy - going to the 380 should fix that unless you get a really small gun. Suggest stick with the 9mm or 380 (or the new 30 super carry) in semi auto or 38 in revolver.

Also the recoil on the 30-30 or 45-70 rifles is not the same as for a handgun - your shoulder is taking much of that recoil instead of just your hand.

Old 07-02-2022, 05:48 AM

8,414 posts, read 4,571,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Glock says it's about drops and also to help ensure the lateral pressure on the trigger does not make the gun go bang.

Yeah, I'm not convinced about the lateral pressure part. The trigger is going to need rearward pressure to activate the sear and just about any rearward pressure is going to depress the trigger lock thingy. That picture of the Glock in the leather holster with the folded bit of leather near the trigger illustrates what I mean. It would have pulled the trigger with or without the little slotted button. I'm not blaming Glock (for this). It would have done the same to just about any trigger with a light enough pull trigger. The only thing it would prevent is if the object coming into contact with the trigger was narrow enough to only touch the very sides of the trigger face and not the slotted button in the center. Seems like something I wouldn't want to depend on happening "just so".

Which brings up another thing. Never depend on a safety of any kind. They fail. They can be a nice backup but nothing replaces trigger finger discipline.

Old 07-02-2022, 05:53 AM

9,501 posts, read 4,332,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post

Revolvers tend to be more difficult to shoot because of their long heavy trigger pull that not only has to fully withdraw the hammer and release it but it has to rotate the cylinder as well. Not only that but the recoil spring on a semi auto pistol absorbs some of the recoil.
A few years back when I got a Nevada concealed carry permit, I had to qualify at the range with each gun I anticipated I would carry. Shooting a Glock or H&K 9mm back-to-back with a .357 revolver really drove home much harder it was to fire the revolver accurately several times in a row - for exactly the reasons you cited.

Old 07-02-2022, 06:10 AM

8,414 posts, read 4,571,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
A few years back when I got a Nevada concealed carry permit, I had to qualify at the range with each gun I anticipated I would carry. Shooting a Glock or H&K 9mm back-to-back with a .357 revolver really drove home much harder it was to fire the revolver accurately several times in a row - for exactly the reasons you cited.

If your revolver (or semi-auto) is DA/SA then you have the option of a long, heavy pull (DA) which helps prevent accidental/negligent discharge and is perfect for self defense, close up situations, or a buttery smooth very light pull (SA) which is perfect for precision target practice (it's less of an option with semi-autos as only the first shot will be long and heavy, subsequent shots will be in SA mode). In fact, it is much lighter and smoother then most striker fired semi-auto's compromised "in between" all purpose DA pull. A revolvers DA trigger is typically in the 9-12lb range and is very long. The same revolver in SA mode can be 1-2lbs and is less then a millimeter of pull. Typical striker fired semi-auto's will be in the 4-6lb range for every shot. This is assuming no special trigger work has been done

Old 07-02-2022, 06:30 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
If your revolver (or semi-auto) is DA/SA then you have the option of a long, heavy pull (DA) which helps prevent accidental/negligent discharge and is perfect for self defense, close up situations, or a buttery smooth very light pull (SA) which is perfect for precision target practice (it's less of an option with semi-autos as only the first shot will be long and heavy, subsequent shots will be in SA mode). In fact, it is much lighter and smoother then most striker fired semi-auto's compromised "in between" all purpose DA pull. A revolvers DA trigger is typically in the 9-12lb range and is very long. The same revolver in SA mode can be 1-2lbs and is less then a millimeter of pull. Typical striker fired semi-auto's will be in the 4-6lb range for every shot. This is assuming no special trigger work has been done

Part of my bouts include decock, each round from decock position, off either hand. Two reasons. First of all, I figure that in the heat of the moment, I am going to push that decock level from safety all the way down to decock (on the USP). Secondly, if I come up to shoot, the entire range of motion has to be one smooth action.

Another factor, though it isn't in the consideration but rather just is, is that standard shooting is SHOOTSHOOT LOOK SHOOT. Shots 1 and 2 tend to be landing in about the same place.

Old 07-02-2022, 08:00 AM

13,238 posts, read 7,286,273 times
Not everyone is into the hobby of collecting guns, and target shooting. Some just want it for self defense they practice once in awhile maybe rarely. If a situation happens there may not be time to mess with slides, de-cockers, safety switches and so forth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies