Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2022, 03:59 PM

25,770 posts, read 18,834,175 times

Advertisements

Something I've noticed over the years is that many black people tend to defend violent black criminals--murderers, thieves, felony crimes, etc. They often get all bent out of shape when justice is served. On the other hand, I rarely see this tendency with whites or other races. Yeah, there are a few, but they are considered nutjobs. For instance, the people (mainly women) who mourned the capture, conviction, and execution of Ted Bundy were flatly condemned by the greater public as weirdos.

Personally, I don't care if a criminal is white, black, green, or blue, if they have committed murder, fry them. If they have robbed, mobbed, assaulted, burned, etc, lock them in jail and throw the key away. Because someone is a white person means absolutely NOTHING to me if he or she is a criminal. I'm certainly not going to riot if that person is taken off the street and locked away.

So, the question is, to what do you attribute this rather odd tendency? I really don't see why a normal, law-abiding black person (or any person) would get all bent out of shape if a black (or any color) murderer, thief, thug, rapist, etc is taken off the street and locked away. I'm sure some of you will deny this is a "thing." But it seems to me it is. All I have to do is watch the news and read posts here to see it again and again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2022, 04:27 PM

1,884 posts, read 1,003,505 times
Pretty simple, just lack of faith in the justice system compared to other groups. Us vs them survival mentality.

Also, I'll bite with "is this really a thing?". It depends on the circumstance. Let's bring up George Floyd: are people "bent out of shape for justice being served" because he was indeed a criminal? I see it more as "cops are not executioners". Not saying OP is saying that, but I know some posters that would. I'd really need an example of real people, and not "the general pop seems to think..."

Old 07-08-2022, 04:33 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,696,027 times
One problem is a good % of black people just don't trust the justice system & while I understand why it's part of the reason we are going to continue to have the problems we do. To many black people they have relatives particularly grandparents that grew up in the 50's & 60's that actually did deal with some really horrible stuff with police. When you're hearing your grandpa had the clan chase after him at the dinner table that really sticks with you & the average non black person is never going to really be able to relate.

Just like some people grow up with work ethic driven in to them from a young age a lot of black people grow up with it driven in them that you just can't trust police.

So when you see these shootings you're instinctively thinking "maybe he was innocent in it" or at least didn't deserve to die. White people don't care about when a white person gets killed by cops because we feel that if you're breaking the law you dig your own grave.

I can understand some police shootings where a black person is killed & the city wants to riot. But some of them just clearly are justified and I feel like. When Tamir Rice was killed that to me stuck out as being one that you really should've gotten upset with but instead it's like they get upset more when the black person killed literally had a gun and shot at cops.

Old 07-08-2022, 04:37 PM

27,656 posts, read 16,147,064 times
Victim mentality culture.

Old 07-08-2022, 04:52 PM

18,460 posts, read 8,287,342 times
first off....they are not normal, law-abiding

....then there's culture

Old 07-08-2022, 05:38 PM

62,974 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Something I've noticed over the years is that many black people tend to defend violent black criminals--murderers, thieves, felony crimes, etc. They often get all bent out of shape when justice is served. On the other hand, I rarely see this tendency with whites or other races. Yeah, there are a few, but they are considered nutjobs. For instance, the people (mainly women) who mourned the capture, conviction, and execution of Ted Bundy were flatly condemned by the greater public as weirdos.

Personally, I don't care if a criminal is white, black, green, or blue, if they have committed murder, fry them. If they have robbed, mobbed, assaulted, burned, etc, lock them in jail and throw the key away. Because someone is a white person means absolutely NOTHING to me if he or she is a criminal. I'm certainly not going to riot if that person is taken off the street and locked away.

So, the question is, to what do you attribute this rather odd tendency? I really don't see why a normal, law-abiding black person (or any person) would get all bent out of shape if a black (or any color) murderer, thief, thug, rapist, etc is taken off the street and locked away. I'm sure some of you will deny this is a "thing." But it seems to me it is. All I have to do is watch the news and read posts here to see it again and again.
It's a tribal mentality among certain races/ethnic groups to defend the law breakers in their ranks.

Old 07-09-2022, 08:56 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,295,551 times
This literally has happened in every culture, religion, ethnic group, etc since the dawn of civilization and before. We are a tribal species and wired to want to defend our tribe and give them the benefit of the doubt.

Most of our behavior can be distilled down to evolutionary traits in the end... break down the computer code to it's source algorithms ... it's similar to why feminists tend to be some of the most aggressive in the bedroom and often enjoy being dominated by a strong male despite their vocal objections to these men in public.

Most of our beliefs are defense mechanisms against our primal instincts and drives... it's the reason for human hypocrisy. Most of nature can be distilled down to cycles of tension buildup and release... that and entropy.

Old 07-09-2022, 09:00 AM

5,111 posts, read 2,053,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
first off....they are not normal, law-abiding

....then there's culture
Good point, if you act like a Steve Urkel or a Carlton Banks, you look like a sellout. That reminds me of that old clip from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5D2RvIQwQE

Old 07-09-2022, 09:22 AM

187 posts, read 115,533 times
Being raised to have a victim mentality. George Floyd was a big pos yet monuments were erected in his so called honor regardless of his rap sheet being a mile long.

Old 07-09-2022, 09:25 AM

62,974 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
This literally has happened in every culture, religion, ethnic group, etc since the dawn of civilization and before. We are a tribal species and wired to want to defend our tribe and give them the benefit of the doubt.

Most of our behavior can be distilled down to evolutionary traits in the end... break down the computer code to it's source algorithms ... it's similar to why feminists tend to be some of the most aggressive in the bedroom and often enjoy being dominated by a strong male despite their vocal objections to these men in public.

Most of our beliefs are defense mechanisms against our primal instincts and drives... it's the reason for human hypocrisy. Most of nature can be distilled down to cycles of tension buildup and release... that and entropy.
I don't have a tribal mentality for whites just because I am white. I think it tends to happen more often among minorities such as blacks and Hispanics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies