Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2022, 07:53 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times

Advertisements

This thread caught my eye today as the subject of insulin is something I have lived with for 50 years now. It is not an exaggeration if you read the article $300 to $500 per month for insulin is quite accurate That amount does not include the needles, lancets and those very expensive glucose strips that have to be bought also. Even with insurance the copay costs for all the insulin and supplies can literally wipe some Diabetics out financially, because there is no cure for Diabetes. It is everyday of your life for the remainder of your life. You have to have the money to pay for the Insulin and supplies or you die. It's that cut and dry. To expect people to pay the prices these drug manufacturers charge is a disgrace, and should never have been allowed to happen but it did. Someone mentioned Walmart Insulin. Yes there is insulin at Walmart that is much cheaper but not all Diabetics would be able to make use of it. They need several different types of insulin and I believe Walmart Insulin is just short acting Insulin. If I was on that I'd be injecting Insulin all day long.

Whatever Newsom does in California is something and I'm all for that. It's a hell of alot more than anyone else is doing. I certainly don't expect his Majesty Ron DeSantis here in Florida to do anything. It's easy for people to find fault with what California may do concerning Insulin if they don't have Diabetes. For the Insulin Diabetic in California any help at all with this serious issue would be a blessing for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2022, 08:28 AM

6,364 posts, read 2,698,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
This thread caught my eye today as the subject of insulin is something I have lived with for 50 years now. It is not an exaggeration if you read the article $300 to $500 per month for insulin is quite accurate That amount does not include the needles, lancets and those very expensive glucose strips that have to be bought also. Even with insurance the copay costs for all the insulin and supplies can literally wipe some Diabetics out financially, because there is no cure for Diabetes. It is everyday of your life for the remainder of your life. You have to have the money to pay for the Insulin and supplies or you die. It's that cut and dry. To expect people to pay the prices these drug manufacturers charge is a disgrace, and should never have been allowed to happen but it did. Someone mentioned Walmart Insulin. Yes there is insulin at Walmart that is much cheaper but not all Diabetics would be able to make use of it. They need several different types of insulin and I believe Walmart Insulin is just short acting Insulin. If I was on that I'd be injecting Insulin all day long.

Whatever Newsom does in California is something and I'm all for that. It's a hell of alot more than anyone else is doing. I certainly don't expect his Majesty Ron DeSantis here in Florida to do anything. It's easy for people to find fault with what California may do concerning Insulin if they don't have Diabetes. For the Insulin Diabetic in California any help at all with this serious issue would be a blessing for them.
So as long as "something" is being done it's okay, even if that "something" won't really make anything better.?

This goes back to the question of why is Newsom putting 50 Million into "developing" lower-cost insulin? If it is truly just Big Pharma price gouging as many on the Left make in their talking points, why is any development needed?

But if development is needed, then if he truly wants to become a Pharmaceutical company and develop new medications, has ANY recent medication been developed for only 50 Million dollars? Of course not, if he is to be successful he would need to spend about 10-20 times that amount.

Old 07-09-2022, 09:14 AM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
So as long as "something" is being done it's okay, even if that "something" won't really make anything better.?

This goes back to the question of why is Newsom putting 50 Million into "developing" lower-cost insulin? If it is truly just Big Pharma price gouging as many on the Left make in their talking points, why is any development needed?

But if development is needed, then if he truly wants to become a Pharmaceutical company and develop new medications, has ANY recent medication been developed for only 50 Million dollars? Of course not, if he is to be successful he would need to spend about 10-20 times that amount.

Are you Insulin Dependent or living with someone that has this outrageous expense? Do you have any solutions? People die in this country because they can't afford Insulin and supplies. I don't think that fact registers with many that don't deal with Diabetes. There were many years I was not allowed Health Insurance in this country because of Diabetes. So yes I think something has to be done. I also think it is inhumane to have done nothing.

Old 07-09-2022, 09:32 AM

6,364 posts, read 2,698,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Are you Insulin Dependent or living with someone that has this outrageous expense? Do you have any solutions? People die in this country because they can't afford Insulin and supplies. I don't think that fact registers with many that don't deal with Diabetes. There were many years I was not allowed Health Insurance in this country because of Diabetes. So yes I think something has to be done. I also think it is inhumane to have done nothing.
Something has to be done...Okay if something can be done more economically and efficiently right there with you. So how about answering the question? What good is doing something, going to do if that something won't make any difference?

If I want to fill a pool with water, I can use a teaspoon taking water from a bucket, or I can call in a Water Truck. Both are doing "something", but which one would be more effective?

Now, if you feel that what he is proposing can make a difference. Can you give some specific reasons why you think that?

Realistically will he be able to develop a new "lower cost" insulin for only 50 Million? Is the talking point of the left that it is Big Pharma price gouging people just a lie? If it isn't a lie then why does he need to develop new insulin?

If you think there are better solutions, what are they? As a person who is dependent on Insulin surely unlike people who have not had to deal with this, you have thought about better solutions before...right?

Old 07-09-2022, 09:51 AM

1,885 posts, read 1,001,235 times
Quote:
Something has to be done...Okay if something can be done more economically and efficiently right there with you. So how about answering the question? What good is doing something, going to do if that something won't make any difference?

If I want to fill a pool with water, I can use a teaspoon taking water from a bucket, or I can call in a Water Truck. Both are doing "something", but which one would be more effective?

Now, if you feel that what he is proposing can make a difference. Can you give some specific reasons why you think that?

Realistically will he be able to develop a new "lower cost" insulin for only 50 Million? Is the talking point of the left that it is Big Pharma price gouging people just a lie? If it isn't a lie then why does he need to develop new insulin?

If you think there are better solutions, what are they? As a person who is dependent on Insulin surely unlike people who have not had to deal with this, you have thought about better solutions before...right?
I'm also curious about how you are to "re-develop" cheap insulin, as it already exists. That being said, the price-gouging is very real.

The specific reasons? Should be blindingly obvious: (hypothetically) cheap insulin. And no, that does not automatically mean it's a garbage product.

Old 07-09-2022, 09:55 AM

78,337 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
LOL. the components are so expensive?

Bwahahahahha. Yeah no. Its about $5 a vial in components. They could DOUBLE the cost of ingredients and make a 100% profit...and STILL be the cheapest out there. Vials of Insulin right now run $50 to $400 depending on who you get it from.
Walmart has it for about $25. My pet was diabetic.

There can of course be special types that cost more.

California, or any state, getting into private business like this is just ridiculous.

This smacks of silly pandering.

Old 07-09-2022, 01:21 PM

4,376 posts, read 1,693,382 times
I wonder if Mark Cuban’s low cost pharmacy will ever offer insulin. They currently do not.

https://costplusdrugs.com/

Old 07-09-2022, 07:15 PM

1,201 posts, read 617,310 times
Outside of Walmart because they have special contracts not available to anyone else, the cheapest insulin at acquisition price is an unbranded Semglee. Mylan makes it as both insulin glargine and Semglee. The manufacturers purposely prices it much lower than other insulin. So what is Semglee, an insulin you probably has never heard about. It's unique it is the first and only interchangeable biosimilar. The reference drug is Lantus. The acquisition cost of unbranded Semglee for a vial is $95 and for pens, $143. We need at least 2 more interchangeable biosimilar Lantus to bring down the price.

Newsom is talking about bringing an interchangeable biosimilar insulin to market. We have a number of biosimilar insulins and authorized generics. I don't know if $50 million is enough. They are contracting with a manufacturer. It costs more to develop a biosimilar than a generic but much less than a brand new medication.

Please do not advise someone who is on analogue insulin to switch to regular/nph. They are dosed differently. If you don't know what you are doing, you can literally die from too much insulin.

The minimum amount of time this will take is 2 years. FDA is not fast to review new generic applications. They will have to do a bunch of.pharmacokinetic studies for approval. More than likely it will be longer. They will also have unique issues regarding coverage through medicaid and Medicare.

Old 07-10-2022, 06:55 AM

Quote:

California has profit caps on a number of products (like auto and home insurance) so why not just put a profit cap on insulin?

That's essentially what Canada does, they make the rest of the world (mainly the US) pay the development costs and then uses their monopoly buying power to get cheaper drugs.

Old 07-10-2022, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesiss23 View Post
Outside of Walmart because they have special contracts not available to anyone else, the cheapest insulin at acquisition price is an unbranded Semglee. Mylan makes it as both insulin glargine and Semglee. The manufacturers purposely prices it much lower than other insulin. So what is Semglee, an insulin you probably has never heard about. It's unique it is the first and only interchangeable biosimilar. The reference drug is Lantus. The acquisition cost of unbranded Semglee for a vial is $95 and for pens, $143. We need at least 2 more interchangeable biosimilar Lantus to bring down the price.

Newsom is talking about bringing an interchangeable biosimilar insulin to market. We have a number of biosimilar insulins and authorized generics. I don't know if $50 million is enough. They are contracting with a manufacturer. It costs more to develop a biosimilar than a generic but much less than a brand new medication.

Please do not advise someone who is on analogue insulin to switch to regular/nph. They are dosed differently. If you don't know what you are doing, you can literally die from too much insulin.

The minimum amount of time this will take is 2 years. FDA is not fast to review new generic applications. They will have to do a bunch of.pharmacokinetic studies for approval. More than likely it will be longer. They will also have unique issues regarding coverage through medicaid and Medicare.
If someone made a post advising people to make prescription changes, I must have missed it.

Then again if people make medical decisions based on anonymous web posts they're lucky to have survived this long in life and likely not much longer anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies