Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 08:02 AM

43,209 posts, read 18,372,336 times

Advertisements

Many are right...the family unit doesn't exist with these kids. Gangs take the place of the family unit for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2022, 09:39 AM

291 posts, read 160,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
I remember a time when that positive image Was portrayed and looked up as something 'good'. Even in the black community. Shows like Jeffersons, Fresh Prince, Different World, and Cosby show ( later incidents notwithstanding )

To even push 'family values' lumps you into some radical conservative bigot side for some reason today.

Entertainment has gone online and people are not limited so these shows feel 'not cool' anymore when they can go see some crazy sh(*& online and radical extremes are only a click away.

The genie is out of the bottle,..there is no wrangling anyone back in.

Parents are on their own as the gov't, State, media, and schools sure as heck have turned their back on them for likes and shares.
Absolutely. The rot in our society has largely coincided with the complete immorality in entertainment and social media.

There are obviously large, governmental policies at play, but do not underestimate the role of social media.

Old 07-11-2022, 10:29 AM

73,087 posts, read 62,726,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILRef View Post
Absolutely. The rot in our society has largely coincided with the complete immorality in entertainment and social media.

There are obviously large, governmental policies at play, but do not underestimate the role of social media.
Here is what I think. The rot has ALWAYS been there. The inner city ghettos have had this problem for generations, as far back as the 1940s and 50s. Now, that rot is spreading and being considered normal.

Old 07-11-2022, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
I remember a time when that positive image Was portrayed and looked up as something 'good'. Even in the black community. Shows like Jeffersons, Fresh Prince, Different World, and Cosby show ( later incidents notwithstanding )

To even push 'family values' lumps you into some radical conservative bigot side for some reason today.

Entertainment has gone online and people are not limited so these shows feel 'not cool' anymore when they can go see some crazy sh(*& online and radical extremes are only a click away.

The genie is out of the bottle,..there is no wrangling anyone back in.

Parents are on their own as the gov't, State, media, and schools sure as heck have turned their back on them for likes and shares.
Well, Blackish was a positive show, showing a Black family. But I think it's one of the last of its kind. Then again, I don't own a television anymore, so I really don't know what's out there anymore.

To put this in honest terms, thug culture sells. Stupidity sells. Many people are entertained by stupidity. When people get ahold of what they want, it will tell you what sells.

Old 07-11-2022, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Many are right...the family unit doesn't exist with these kids. Gangs take the place of the family unit for them.
Gangs have been in the inner cities for at least a century. Black inner city gangs have been around in relatively large proportions since the 1950s. The riots of the 1960s were a reflection of what had been going on while being ignored by the rest of society. They were also a harbinger for what would come next.

Old 07-11-2022, 06:26 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,306,942 times
Two of the attackers have turned themselves in. One was 14 the other 10.

Old 07-11-2022, 06:42 PM

78,546 posts, read 60,749,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, Blackish was a positive show, showing a Black family. But I think it's one of the last of its kind. Then again, I don't own a television anymore, so I really don't know what's out there anymore.

To put this in honest terms, thug culture sells. Stupidity sells. Many people are entertained by stupidity. When people get ahold of what they want, it will tell you what sells.
Yeah it sells when there is a void of good parenting.

But in the US it's always every.body.elses.fault.

Politicians in the most impacted areas will NEVER blame parents. It's taboo.

It's always got to be the fault of the schools, the teachers, the tests, the sun was in our eyes blah blah blah.

The educated segment of the black community knows this is toxic BS but the racists complaining about blacks make an honest conversation impossible because nobody wants to be saying anything close to what those jerks are saying.

But behind closed doors after a glass or two of wine or whatnot, we all know what's being said. The truth.

P.S. Even Cosby, well before his downfall, as an ICON in the black community got slammed for trying to challenge this. I really wish Obama would step up and lay the hammer down a bit on this but I've always respected the guy and will assume he's already read the room that this won't fly.

Old 07-11-2022, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah it sells when there is a void of good parenting.

But in the US it's always every.body.elses.fault.

Politicians in the most impacted areas will NEVER blame parents. It's taboo.

It's always got to be the fault of the schools, the teachers, the tests, the sun was in our eyes blah blah blah.

The educated segment of the black community knows this is toxic BS but the racists complaining about blacks make an honest conversation impossible because nobody wants to be saying anything close to what those jerks are saying.

But behind closed doors after a glass or two of wine or whatnot, we all know what's being said. The truth.

P.S. Even Cosby, well before his downfall, as an ICON in the black community got slammed for trying to challenge this. I really wish Obama would step up and lay the hammer down a bit on this but I've always respected the guy and will assume he's already read the room that this won't fly.
It also sells when you have rebellious young people who like a be edgy. I've met a few professional White women who listened to violent rap music. Good parenting and a good life pretty much meant they weren't going to carry that stuff out. However, listening to such music was considered edgy and fun for them.

I have my father to thank for my own nuanced view of rap music. When I was 14, I watched a Jay-Z video. My father saw me watching and then explained to me what a pimp was. He also explained other things about life in the ghetto. Basically, it was his way of saying "I don't recommend listening to alot of that stuff".

Racist individuals will make any excuse to complain about Black people, even petty stuff. Said persons can't just flat out say they don't like Blacks or other groups of people. They have to find ways to at least appear justified. We need to have a conversation about personal responsibility and better parenting. However, the racist individuals need to be excluded. I also think about this. There are Black people who talk about things like fatherless homes, Black on Black murder, and thug culture.

Former President Obama said that more Black men need to step up and be fathers. Why his statement didn't garner more attention, I don't know.
https://abcnews.go.com/WN/Vote2008/s...5172580&page=1

Obama also said of Black men "no time for more excuses".
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ement/2324241/

He said this at a graduation ceremony for Morehouse University.

Why Bill Cosby got slammed, and not Barack Obama, that I do wonder. One thing I do know is that many people didn't like how public Bill Cosby was with it.

Old 07-11-2022, 08:16 PM

6,701 posts, read 3,003,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Quote:

Why Bill Cosby got slammed, and not Barack Obama, that I do wonder. .

I remember that Bill Cosby thing. It was like a rant. But he was dead serious. Almost pained.
Like everything he was part of, fought for, climbed up in entertainment only led to being dethroned by this squander of thuggish behavior.

People pointed and laughed. Look at that old man. And then the scandal sorta vindicated them.

Quote:
One thing I do know is that many people didn't like how public Bill Cosby was with it.
Speaking at a graduation ceremony is pretty public. Easy enough to media to splash out there like they love to do when something suits their narrative.

Neil Degrasse Tyson should be a great role model,..but he needs to stick to science. I love him too much to see him embroiled into this toxic mess. I can see Denzel losing it one day and going off like Cosby,..lol.
Ol' smooth Morgan Freeman had some 'bootstrappy' things to say but that was a long time ago.

I guess there's Candice Owens,..? People like her I agree with on some things,..but they fall under the category of professional debaters and there is something off putting about how they engage others, imho.

Old 07-11-2022, 08:54 PM

37,960 posts, read 17,902,957 times
Quote:
Former President Obama said that more Black men need to step up and be fathers. Why his statement didn't garner more attention, I don't know.
https://abcnews.go.com/WN/Vote2008/s...5172580&page=1

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ement/2324241/

Why Bill Cosby got slammed, and not Barack Obama, that I do wonder. One thing I do know is that many people didn't like how public Bill Cosby was with it.
lol Obama did get slammed. And then ignored.

Because too many people deflected and tried to make it about something other than the high rate of single parenthood. Like when they talk about why the high rates of crime by blacks in one state isn't as high as the high rate of crimes by blacks in other states. Big deal.

Because un like Obama, too many black leaders had multiple kids by multiple women and they were not in the picture as far as helping raise those kids.

"Believing that his mike was off, Reverend Jackson whispered to a visibly uncomfortable Dr. Reed Tuckson that Barack Obama had been “talking down to black people” and that he desired to “cut his nuts off.” ... it’s true that Obama has frequently offered so-called “tough love” to black audiences throughout the presidential campaign. Focusing mainly on themes of education and parenting, Obama hasn’t shied away from criticizing aspects of black culture that he sees as contributing to the some of the problems the black community faces in America today"

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2008...mas_tough.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies