Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2022, 03:45 AM

73,153 posts, read 62,851,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Would be interesting to know how much it's spreading and how much its just no longer being contained.

After all, crime has been on decline for a long time and just in the last few years has increased again.

I believe there are a number of causes but frankly I think some poorly thought out reforms in knee jerk response to 2020 (and no doubt any were needed) have had negative repercussions and sadly the ones paying the highest price are minorities in poorer communities.
I think containing it is becoming more and more difficult. With the forces of gentrification, this is what I see happening. Many of the criminals start spreading out to other places. While crime might have been declining over the last decade, there is a caveat. More crimes are being committed in places that weren't seeing in years prior.

I'll use the Atlanta area as an example. I grew up in the suburbs, 30-35 miles west of Atlanta. The city of Atlanta was wild during the 1990s. Not just the parties, but the high murder rate. Being out in a rural suburb, that felt far away.

Where I lived, there was an underbelly. It was mainly in the trailer parks and poorer areas. There was even a public housing complex up the road from my high school. I never knew about it because it looked like any other apartment complex. I also never knew what to look for. Where I lived was so spread out that if you lived in a middle class subdivision (such as where I grew up), you wouldn't know what went on in the trailer parks or in some low income area, unless you went there. In the mid-2000s, Atlanta's murder rate, and over all violent crime rate started to drop. Gentrification was on the rise in Atlanta. Even some suburbs like Marietta and Smyrna were on the way to gentrification. However, this meant crime started spreading out to some of the far-off suburbs/exurbs.

Even before that, crime started rising in the exurban/suburban area I was living in. I got jumped in my own neighborhood while jogging. This wasn't inner city Atlanta. This was the suburbs and some idiot's friends were visiting the neighborhood. It wasn't the last time I would fall victim to violent crime (it happened in the suburbs, again).

While Georgia's homicide rate saw a considerable drop over the course of a decade (mainly with Atlanta getting safer) it wasn't all even. Crime rose in some places. Now there are gangs in Northwest Georgia (Marjorie Taylor Greene's district).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2022, 04:22 AM

491 posts, read 400,110 times
If not already mentioned I did see this thugs photo on the news last night and I saw a 5150 tattoo. Coming from a LE background I knew what it was but many may not. I'm not sure if many or any LE agency still uses it though. LA might. It did originate in CA so it may be used. But it is a code section that allowed LE to temporarily detain someone deemed dangerous to themselves and/or others. Seems to fit the bill here perfectly.

Old 07-17-2022, 04:59 AM

29,532 posts, read 22,792,969 times
The only saving grace here is that the perpetrator will never again harm another living entity on this planet.

Some things in life are simply not rehabilitable, and as we have seen the past years, unable to be locked away forever from society. This was the best possible outcome for all of humanity.

Old 07-17-2022, 09:14 AM

4,475 posts, read 3,317,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Then political parties shouldn't have been brought up.
The trouble is, there is one party that is headed in the wrong direction on crime. People should be more ready to specify the policies that are a problem, not just political affiliation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryfreak View Post
If not already mentioned I did see this thugs photo on the news last night and I saw a 5150 tattoo. Coming from a LE background I knew what it was but many may not.
We used to use 5150 at Disneyland too on our radio codes when calling for assistance.

Old 07-17-2022, 09:28 AM

14,247 posts, read 4,629,533 times
People with face tattoos obviously hate employment.

They have nothing else to lose.

Old 07-17-2022, 09:33 AM

6,230 posts, read 3,434,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
People with face tattoos obviously hate employment.

They have nothing else to lose.
If you are out in public and even see a guy with face tattoos, you need to immediately be aware that this dude could come unhinged and you could get rolled up into whatever. I’m not saying have your hand on your gun while you are pumping gas, but just be ready to move in the event that something happens.

As far as elderly people, not much they can do, other than don’t go alone, which isn’t practical for some folks who don’t have anyone.

Old 07-18-2022, 02:34 PM

39,906 posts, read 26,611,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
So what is the solution to this genetic debris floating mostly around our big cities? I dunno.
I have ideas, but don't relish C-D jail again.

Old 07-18-2022, 02:40 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,103,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
No US media covers this stuff as well as the UK Daily Mail.

The criminally insane homeless perp is a doozy and should never have been released on the street. This is yet another poster boy for "lock up and throw away the key". Maybe not in prison, since insane people don't understand punishment and can't be rehabilitated unless there is some medical or behavioral treatment for their mental disease. It is just a complete modern social and political failure that tons of these violently insane people are running around loose on the streets to routinely murder innocent people minding their own business, let alone all of the maimings, woundings, beatings they inflict absent death, and the massive cost they incur from vandalism, theft, robbery, and all manner of other crimes.

We need a new Australia to just dump these people off on. We need a nice island with good weather and fertile ground 500 miles from any land mass with civilized people, and ship in all of their basic needs and let them develop their own "Lord of the Flies" society.

In all fairness............................why should we waste such ideal real estate on them?

Old 07-18-2022, 02:41 PM

2,892 posts, read 1,162,198 times
Nice work, SWAT.
The creep that murdered Bobby East was a waste of skin. No loss to humanity.

Old 07-18-2022, 03:58 PM

23,640 posts, read 17,318,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
My point is this. I hear things like "it would be so much better if only Republicans were in charge". Florida has been under Republican governors for almost 25 years. Over the past 25 years, Miami has had 5 Republican mayors and 2 Democratic mayors. Sounds like neither party could do anything about that thug.

The sadder part is this. Miami-Dade County (or rather, many parts of South Florida) is going through a Black Brain Drain (at least among Black Americans). Black Americans with talent, college degrees, who would otherwise be in the professional world, many have left the area for other parts of Florida, or they leave the state altogether for states like Georgia and North Carolina. The underclass seems to be sticking around more. I've mentioned this about California and Wisconsin. It's happening in South Florida too. I bring this up because you want the talented to stay, not the thugs and criminals.
wow a career criminal under repub gov!!!!

it is a numbers game, not a qualitative comparison.

dem run cities body counts are way ahead by lightyears, and it is for very specific reasons.

no cash bail, releasing felons who pled to a lesser charge to drop the felony, persecuting and prosecuting police using lies and supporting terrorist groups antifa and BLM , the same safety net sanctuary states claimed would result in a rise in crime of Trump cut their funding.

Trump made funding black colleges PERMANENT! Pushed school choice to help the poor folk get their kids on the right track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies