Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2022, 10:50 PM

3,113 posts, read 938,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
I take a BP pill and the Vyvanse now. That's it. I occasionally take a meloxicam for kidney stones, if the pain gets to be too much.
Thank you for this beautiful example of polypharmacy!

Vyvanse increases both BP and causes kidney disease. Especially when taken regularly and at your age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2022, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Problem is too many who say they’re depressed are getting prescriptions instead of counseling. There’s a difference between being depressed and true chronic depression. I sought counseling for PTSD & depression (suicidal levels since puberty) and through counseling was diagnosed as also having Aspergers, a form of autism. Got a prescription, got better but wife said something was off. Spoke with doctor. Altered prescription. Wife and coworkers said I was much better. Still had high levels of anxiety. Spoke with doctor and an additional prescription was given. I still have depression and anxiety but now they’re at levels I can live with and function well. Thoughts of suicide never truly goes away but I’m no longer at the point that I had my entire suicide planned out to the finest detail like when I sought counseling. Downside to this medication is motivation is down and weight gain is up. I’ve been making changes to help counter some of these issues.
I want to say this.

Occasional thoughts and/or fantasies of suicide are completely normal. We all get them from time to time especially our low periods. That doesn’t mean we’re suicidal. It’s a coping mechanism.

I don’t understand this “planning” suicide bit. What’s there to plan? We all know how to kill ourselves right away if we wanted. Planning is just fantasizing.

My father committed suicide after he was diagnosed with terminal cancer. No planning needed, he came home, opened the bedroom drawer and blew his brains all over the bedroom wall. Left his diagnosis and next steps on the kitchen table as a form of suicide note.

Old 07-25-2022, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
XR is extended release throughout the day, whereas you crash when regular adderall wears off after a couple of hours. No adult needs to take more than 10 mg at a time because it's basically speed.
It’s speed at any dosage!

Did I understand right, 6 a day @10mg XR? So 60mg a day? The XR means that by the end of the day she will be wired quite good!

Also who wants to take pills so frequently throughout the day

Old 07-26-2022, 06:56 AM

15,416 posts, read 7,472,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
Thank you for this beautiful example of polypharmacy!

Vyvanse increases both BP and causes kidney disease. Especially when taken regularly and at your age.
You have no idea what you are talking about with respect to my medical history. I had the kidney stones and high blood pressure for 20 years before taking Vyvanse. My BP is still under control, and my kidney function is fine. My kidney stone issues are genetic, and are traceable back 4 generations on my mother's side of my family. My brother has them, my mom has them, her father had them, and my great grand father had them. Prior to starting Vyvanse, I had a CT done for a kidney stone, and had 9 more waiting in my kidneys.

Vyvanse doesn't cause kidney disease. Patients with kidney disease may not eliminate Vyvanse as effectively, and then have side effects, but it doesn't cause the kidney disease.

The only drug that I worry about affecting kidney function is MRI contrast, and I try to keep that to once a year on my annual cancer follow ups.

Old 07-26-2022, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about with respect to my medical history. I had the kidney stones and high blood pressure for 20 years before taking Vyvanse.
And taking Vyvanse is not doing your BP/cardiovascular system or kidneys any favors.

You're making things worse, but ok.

Old 07-26-2022, 07:36 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,095,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
I want to say this.

Occasional thoughts and/or fantasies of suicide are completely normal. We all get them from time to time especially our low periods. That doesn’t mean we’re suicidal. It’s a coping mechanism.

I don’t understand this “planning” suicide bit. What’s there to plan? We all know how to kill ourselves right away if we wanted. Planning is just fantasizing.

My father committed suicide after he was diagnosed with terminal cancer. No planning needed, he came home, opened the bedroom drawer and blew his brains all over the bedroom wall. Left his diagnosis and next steps on the kitchen table as a form of suicide note.
So very sad. I hope you talked with someone about this?

Old 07-26-2022, 07:38 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,950,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
So very sad. I hope you talked with someone about this?
He probably didn't. He doesn't believe there is any value in psychiatry or psychology.

Old 07-26-2022, 07:44 AM

17,373 posts, read 14,622,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
He probably didn't. He doesn't believe there is any value in psychiatry or psychology.

And if he didn't? What is your point?

Many people experience traumatic events in life. Not all find value in talk therapy with a psychiatrist or psychologist.

Old 07-26-2022, 07:47 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,950,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
And if he didn't? What is your point?

Many people experience traumatic events in life. Not all find value in talk therapy with a psychiatrist or psychologist.
Yes. There are many events in life where people do not feel the need for talk therapy. It is quite a different thing to believe talk therapy never has any usefulness.

Old 07-26-2022, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Yes. There are many events in life where people do not feel the need for talk therapy. It is quite a different thing to believe talk therapy never has any usefulness.
The field of psychiatry is not about talk therapy but more to figure out which drugs to prescribe you during talk therapy.

I myself see no use to talk with strangers, that has been done with loved ones.

I'm not concerned with talk therapy btw, I'm concerned with over prescription of mind altering drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies