Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2022, 02:42 PM

15,637 posts, read 10,390,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Fox News. Tells me all I need to know. Race had nothing to do with Dave Chappelle getting cancelled.
how do you know that "race had nothing to do with dave chappelle getting canceled", green mariner? are you a mind reader? it seems there are many mind readers in america these days who know other people's motives, thoughts, and "unconscious bias".

Last edited by texan2yankee; 07-22-2022 at 02:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2022, 03:47 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
how do you know that "race had nothing to do with dave chappelle getting canceled", green mariner? are you a mind reader? it seems there are many mind readers in america these days who know other people's motives, thoughts, and "unconscious bias".
The reason for canceling Dave Chappelle was mentioned. It was about his jokes.

Old 07-22-2022, 03:56 PM

15,637 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Quote:
The reason for canceling Dave Chappelle was mentioned. It was about his jokes.
how do you know he was canceled because of his jokes? some people say (assume) motivation for a personal offense against any black person is unconscious bias or overt racism. why aren't those same people saying (assuming) racism is the reason for canceling black comedian chappelle?

Old 07-22-2022, 03:57 PM

3,336 posts, read 2,138,222 times
Quote:
I think about the times when I dealt with racist individuals, when I dealt with racism. The times I've been harassed or treated unfairly, and race had something to do with it. The posts I see here on city-data.com.

If liberals are supposedly the real racists, then explain this. The majority of racist stuff that has ever happened to me, came from conservatives. The most Pro-Confederate individuals I meet, none of them have been liberals. Can someone explain to me why what I'm reading and hearing does not reflect what I'm seeing or what I've experienced?
I could be a smartass and simply observe that the plural of anecdote isn't evidence. I spent time in Harrisburg and Philly hoods as a kid, for example, and it was like being in an urban version of Survivor, as a white person. I could focus in laser-like fashion on that small part of my life, but I'm not going to because it's not reflective of a larger reality even if it does exist in localized fashion.

My first honest guesses in response to your question would be would be of a location and local culture nature. For example, a sizable minority of the rural folks here demonstrate varying degrees of prejudice against non-whites, some of which I've found shocking. Likewise, a sizable minority of the folks who live in the actual ghetto of Ocala's city-proper are raised with a similarly irrational anti-white hatred. In the suburbs, there's much less of an issue in either direction regarding racial animus, and the issue itself (like all crimes generally speaking) tends to diminish as average household income increases within a given community. The crime level in the comparatively non-affluent 'burbs are mostly property, drug, and domestic violence related, rather than of a racial nature. There is a difference in the types of crimes commonly committed by whites vs blacks on average, which is where I think the subculture component is probably the reasonable explanation. This has been my experience regardless of where I've lived or worked up and down the east coast my whole life.

The other relevant consideration I would say is more of an contemporary, and academic one. I think conservatives get it wrong when they attribute the various stupidity associated with Wokeness to liberals. To me, it is decidedly illiberal, and such folks have hijacked the term liberal — along with the Democratic party. The biggest crime actual liberals commit in my opinion is the same as the one committed on the other side: Otherwise reasonable people fail to stand up to the extremes of their respective political tribes, and predictably negative results become self-perpetuated and more frequent over time.

Old 07-22-2022, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
how do you know he was canceled because of his jokes? some people say (assume) motivation for a personal offense against any black person is unconscious bias or overt racism. why aren't those same people saying (assuming) racism is the reason for canceling black comedian chappelle?
Chappelle has been getting alot of criticism from gays and lesbians. The entertainment industry has a relatively high percentage of such persons. Basically, First Avenue is a woke venue. Anyone familiar with Chappelle's history would know this.

What do you think actually happened?

Old 07-22-2022, 07:48 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
I went to high school in a place with a large " redneck" constituency. Also, many individuals ( I say individuals because autocorrect keeps putting "Indians" instead of "individuals". I had to go back and correct something) who have treated me badly, I have run into them where I live or where I was going to school.

And as for Pro-Confederate, I would think you knew what I was saying. People who love the Confederate flag, people who are big on flying the Confederate flag even being told what the Confederate flag is about. I know that the Confederacy is long gone. I live in the South and while not everyone is like that down here, I have run into Pro-Confederate individuals, at least in the county where I grew up in.

My thing is this. If liberals are supposedly the real racists, then who does this not match what I have seen and experienced?

Your basing your entire world view on your own limited experience.

I'm assuming you're also not going to run into very many liberals in the deep south. Sure, there are some, but they keep their ideas to themselves for the most part and don't openly take issue with the confederate flag. I'm not going to open that can of worms, but I'll say the same level of racism exists in urban areas. Even in the suburbs, where someone wrote "die cracker" on my car. But it's not something I ever think about or hold a grudge over. Why would I? That incident did not hurt me any more than those confederate flags hurt you. Maybe it hurts if we let it, but I choose not to.

I know there are hateful people in the world, but the best revenge is to live well and be kind. It's not a bad way to go through life. Looks like more fun than being one of those angry, spiteful racists.

Old 07-22-2022, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
I could be a smartass and simply observe that the plural of anecdote isn't evidence. I spent time in Harrisburg and Philly hoods as a kid, for example, and it was like being in an urban version of Survivor, as a white person. I could focus in laser-like fashion on that small part of my life, but I'm not going to because it's not reflective of a larger reality even if it does exist in localized fashion.

My first honest guesses in response to your question would be would be of a location and local culture nature. For example, a sizable minority of the rural folks here demonstrate varying degrees of prejudice against non-whites, some of which I've found shocking. Likewise, a sizable minority of the folks who live in the actual ghetto of Ocala's city-proper are raised with a similarly irrational anti-white hatred. In the suburbs, there's much less of an issue in either direction regarding racial animus, and the issue itself (like all crimes generally speaking) tends to diminish as average household income increases within a given community. The crime level in the comparatively non-affluent 'burbs are mostly property, drug, and domestic violence related, rather than of a racial nature. There is a difference in the types of crimes commonly committed by whites vs blacks on average, which is where I think the subculture component is probably the reasonable explanation. This has been my experience regardless of where I've lived or worked up and down the east coast my whole life.

The other relevant consideration I would say is more of an contemporary, and academic one. I think conservatives get it wrong when they attribute the various stupidity associated with Wokeness to liberals. To me, it is decidedly illiberal, and such folks have hijacked the term liberal — along with the Democratic party. The biggest crime actual liberals commit in my opinion is the same as the one committed on the other side: Otherwise reasonable people fail to stand up to the extremes of their respective political tribes, and predictably negative results become self-perpetuated and more frequent over time.
Philadelphia or Harrisburg are two cities I'm hesitant to live in. I've never been to Pennsylvania. However, based on some of the comments I've seen on these threads, I suspect there are some racial tensions going on. That is if I just go based on what I see here on city-data. I've never been there. I have heard of Pittsburgh being one of the worst cities for Black Americans to live in.

I grew up in Georgia, a small exurban area 30 miles west of Atlanta. When I was living there, it was not uncommon to see people flying Confederate flags from their trucks and porches. It wasn't common in my neighborhood (which was a brand new subdivision when we moved in). However, Growing up where I did, I ran into quite a bit of prejudice. Some of it very much "in your face", some of it in other forms such as racial profiling by the police.

As for the suburban/urban differences, I'll just say this. When I was living in the Atlanta metro area, this is what I noticed. The closer I was to the city of Atlanta, the less problems I had. The inner-ring suburbs, closer to Atlanta, I didn't have as many problems. Further out, in the outer suburbs/exurbs, I was more likely to have problems. In some affluent suburban areas, what I might run into is a snootiness, a more mealy-mouth mentality. In the less affluent areas, I might run into more "in your face" kind of stuff. When I worked in Atlanta proper, if there was any major racial tension, I didn't see much of it. Of course, the ghettos had their problems. The most openly hostile places I remember while living in Georgia were out in the exurbs and in the small towns.

In Huntsville, where I currently live, this is what I notice. Huntsville is alright. I haven't been met with any hostility, not personally anyway. I did see one incident take place during the Summer of 2020. Outside of that, I haven't personally dealt with hostility while living here. Suburb of Madison,AL, no problems. Places like Grant, Arab, Cullman, I have to watch myself in those areas. Those places have a reputation for being sundown towns (legally, anyone can live there, but alot of Blacks are hesitant to live in those towns).

I've never been to Florida. I have heard alot of stories regarding Florida. Not all of them good. I have noticed that in more affluent areas, I don't deal with much open hostility. In the liberal areas that I've personally been to, I haven't had much open hostility towards me. I have seen it more in places that aren't as affluent. One thing I've wondered about for years is this. Based on my own experiences, and based on some things I've read about, some of the worst racial animus has been taking place in many blue-collar, working class areas. I grew up in a middle class neighborhood. However, the schools were ran by the county. My subdivision was down the road from an older, more working class neighborhood. The school bus I was on went through some poorer areas, as well as the relatively new subdivisions. My high school also drew from the local housing projects (something I didn't know until many years later).

And its interesting that you mention Philadelphia. I have been doing alot of reading about Philadelphia. Some of it good. Some of it not very encouraging. I get the feeling that Philadelphia has been quite a segregated city (not in the same way the Deep South was). I'm sure there are places where if you're White, you'd have problems. And as a Black person, Kensington (where Rocky was filmed) would have been a place I would avoid during the 1960s and 70s and even as late as the 1980s. Port Richmond, Fishtown, I have heard bad things about those places too.

It's hard for me to have a political discussion without having to do battle with the far left or the far right. I'm not part of that woke crowd. Some of it just goes against my faith. On the other hand, the far right has some problems too, and I've ran into some individuals who were either openly hostile or had some thinly veiled hostility. The extreme ones are dictating the conversation.

When it comes to racism and racial tensions, I think about this. I've been on these forums for years. In the end, it's bred alot of confusion. I get the feeling that some people are only interested in being partisan and making their word stick.

As a side note, some of the racial tensions I dealt with growing up were an impetus to seek out other places in America to live in. Let's just say some of the stuff I saw here in city-data is leaving me with more questions than answers.

Old 07-22-2022, 07:55 PM

5,067 posts, read 1,666,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by san_man View Post
the democrat party has always been the racist party.

Liberals are part of the democrat party.

QFT

Old 07-22-2022, 08:09 PM

1,174 posts, read 550,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
They're trying very hard to 'cancel' Dave Chappelle. Has nothing whatever to do with him being black, and everything to do with him refusing to bow down to the luncacy.
It does though. deep down in the liberal ideology is where all racism lies and always has. They just don’t present it like conventional racism, but wrapped in lies and skeletons in ‘moms closet’. They’re sneaky, weak, and manulpitive . Although they will counter this by manipulation and redirection, don’t be fooled for they are the master of lies and decete.

Old 07-22-2022, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Your basing your entire world view on your own limited experience.

I'm assuming you're also not going to run into very many liberals in the deep south. Sure, there are some, but they keep their ideas to themselves for the most part and don't openly take issue with the confederate flag. I'm not going to open that can of worms, but I'll say the same level of racism exists in urban areas. Even in the suburbs, where someone wrote "die cracker" on my car. But it's not something I ever think about or hold a grudge over. Why would I? That incident did not hurt me any more than those confederate flags hurt you. Maybe it hurts if we let it, but I choose not to.

I know there are hateful people in the world, but the best revenge is to live well and be kind. It's not a bad way to go through life. Looks like more fun than being one of those angry, spiteful racists.
I'm looking at this from 36 years of living. I've lived in other places, but I grew up in Georgia. To get technical, I was in the suburbs of Atlanta. Atlanta proper has plenty of liberals. Cobb County, Gwinnett County, DeKalb County, liberals living there have no problem expressing their political views. In the outer counties of metro Atlanta (Forsyth, Paulding, Cherokee, Bartow), it's a bit different. If I was in Mississippi or South Carolina, I would certainly run into far fewer liberals. However, Atlanta metropolitan area is a bit different.

This is how I see the Confederate flag. The Confederate cause was rooted in keeping the institution of slavery, and in keeping Blacks enslaved. The Confederate flag was very representative of that cause. It was also the flag of choice for those who were very much against the civil rights movement, who wanted to keep segregation. Racist segregationists in Chicago (or rather Cicero) were flying that Dr. King led a march through Cicero.
If it's just one person doing it, then I look at that person as stupid. If it's a common thing, if there are a considerable number of individuals flying Confederate flags, it tells me something about the values of that community. It tells me there is a subculture of anti-Black, Neo-Confederate, Old South values. Those are values that I really don't want to be surrounded with.

I'm not trying to paint it as "all conservatives are racists". I know this not to be true. What I do notice are people here claiming "liberals are the real racists". It doesn't match up with what I've dealt with and experienced.

I am far from an angry, spiteful racist. I'm about as pro-race mixing as they come. I figure it's a good way to live. It's certainly a happier life that being angry and racist. I notice racist individuals (of any race) tend to be angry people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies