Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 09:21 PM

1,424 posts, read 726,120 times

Advertisements

Sounds horrible. Looks like my paychecks are going to shrink for more green BS. Thanks Brandon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2022, 09:25 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
saw this article today

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/p...s-key-weakness

your thoughts Jim
From your article:
Quote:
For EVs to qualify for the tax credit, a certain percentage of their batteries and key minerals must be sourced from the United States or a nation that is party to a U.S. free trade agreement beginning next year.

That means “[to] the extent the policy is effective, it will slant the market in the direction of American products,” George Mason economist and Bloomberg columnist Tyler Cowen wrote.

But that’s an ambitious undertaking considering that most critical resources needed in EV manufacturing — lithium, nickel, cobalt, and graphite — are mined and processed in China, Russia, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and Indonesia, none of which are party to U.S. free trade agreements.
People like you are always complaining about "China Joe" and stuff made in China, and always cheering over stuff made in the USA.

Now that the democrats are about to pass a huge bill that will, among other things, focus production of EV-related things in the USA and not in China, now you're complaining about that, too!

So no matter what the democrats do, you complain about it.

BTW the policy is fine with me.

Old 08-08-2022, 09:38 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
From your article:

People like you are always complaining about "China Joe" and stuff made in China, and always cheering over stuff made in the USA.

Now that the democrats are about to pass a huge bill that will, among other things, focus production of EV-related things in the USA and not in China, now you're complaining about that, too!

So no matter what the democrats do, you complain about it.

BTW the policy is fine with me.
1. I didnt complain

2. the point was, that by saying..."" critical resources needed in EV manufacturing — lithium, nickel, cobalt, and graphite — are mined and processed in China, Russia, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and Indonesia, none of which are party to U.S. free trade agreements.""", this may increase costs to the consumer....and... make the purpose of the bill, the standards of the bill to...fail
Quote:
this might drive up the cost of production, cutting against the Biden administration’s climate goals and the president's pledge to end all sales of gas-powered vehicles in the U.S. by the year 2035.
3. I actually asked your opinion...""damn it Jim"" , I am a logical person, not a partisan..(also a trekie)

would you have preferred me to say.."what you think Mr. Bond"

Old 08-09-2022, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
1. I didnt complain
You bolded, “And as costs go up, they are usually passed on to the consumer,” which I interpreted as complaining about it.

Quote:
2. the point was, that by saying..."" critical resources needed in EV manufacturing — lithium, nickel, cobalt, and graphite — are mined and processed in China, Russia, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and Indonesia, none of which are party to U.S. free trade agreements.""", this may increase costs to the consumer....and... make the purpose of the bill, the standards of the bill to...fail
Yes, you are indeed complaining. Raw material costs are a small part of any finished product, if they have to mine that stuff in Canada or Mexico or the US and those resources are more expensive for that reason, it's going to end up being a very small cost increase. But they do have all those resources in North America, so you're article is pretty much making a mountain out of a molehill.

Quote:
3. I actually asked your opinion...""damn it Jim"" , I am a logical person, not a partisan..(also a trekie)

would you have preferred me to say.."what you think Mr. Bond"
As I said, the policy is fine with me.

Old 08-09-2022, 04:48 PM

1,212 posts, read 733,304 times
The bill reduces carbon-release by paying incentives instead of simply legislating carbon-release reductions.

Of course the incentives could also produce economic activity, which might work, but the problem is that Social Security and Medicare don't receive needed funding because the funding is used elsewhere.

Here is a link:

https://www.brookings.edu/research/w...er-legislation

However, I continue to question the incorrect use of percentages in the general field of carbon reduction. A correct percentage would be the percentage reduction in annual carbon-release

Old 08-12-2022, 03:52 PM

It passed the House and is now headed for Biden's desk!

House passes sweeping climate and health care bill, sending it to Biden’s desk
Quote:
The House passed a far-reaching Democratic bill Friday to combat climate change, extend health care coverage and raise taxes on corporations, voting along party lines to send the legislation to President Joe Biden for his signature.

Passage of the Inflation Reduction Act represents a major victory for Democrats ahead of the November midterm elections, capping nearly a year of on-again, off-again internal negotiations and defying numerous near-death experiences for the bill.

The legislation — which passed the Senate on Sunday in a 51-50 vote, with Vice President Kamala Harris breaking the tie — now goes to Biden, who plans to sign it into law.

Old 08-12-2022, 05:03 PM

yep....the liberal screwing of America continues

Old 08-12-2022, 05:23 PM

30 posts, read 16,315 times
Its a joke, it does nothing to curb climate change.

Old 08-13-2022, 09:42 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,308,300 times
Biden will soon be signing this bill, as it is now at his desk awaiting signature.

Wonder if Biden will have a live press event for the signing this weekend.

Biden better hurry with the signing ceremony, because if Trump gets arrested, Trump's arrest will be the top news story. The Trump espionage story already became the top news story on Friday and the House Signing hardly got any press. Perhaps Biden will wait until next week for a signing ceremony, and delay the signing if Trump gets arrested beforehand.

Old 08-13-2022, 09:47 AM

liberals are never honest....

look at the title of the bill..."Inflation reduction act"...yet it will not reduce inflation one iota , in fact with spending OFF BUDGET it will increase inflation, increase the deficit, increase the debt, do hardly anything to actually reduce the price of medications, wont reduce the carbon footprint of the USA, and NOT make electric cars nor your electric bills any cheaper... the whole bill is a fascist liberal lie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies