Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2022, 02:11 PM

50,298 posts, read 47,056,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The UK has always been a lot less gun orientated, and the average police officer doesn't carry a firearm, and neither does the average criminal.

Guns are not as easy to carry by in the UK, and this is especially true of handguns, whilst guns are seen as a bit of liability, as using them would attract massive police attention and you can receive a long prison sentence just for being in possession of a firearm.

The US is different, firearms are far more prevalent, the criminals are far more likely to use a gun and are not as bothered in relation to the consequences.

The US is a vast country, with a massive amount of wilderness and frontiers, and all kinds of dangerous animals, whilst the UK is not, and I can fully understand why Americans would want that trusty rifle or shotgun, and in terms of some parts of the US, I can also fully understand why Americans would want the peace of mind of having that handgun under the bedroom draw or under the pillow.

The two countries are very different in this respect, and I fully respect the right for Americans to have these weapons.

The debate is a little more controversial in relation to certain higher capacity weapons, however I am sure Americans can decide on the issue themselves.
About 1/2 of all the firearms in the US fall under semi auto with a removeable magazine so there is no getting that toothpaste back into the tube.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2022, 02:17 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Don't be ridiculous!
Tell that to the Native American. Tell that to the Black. Tell to the others who have faced a civilized people who had the guns and they didn't. https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...itsar-massacre

Old 07-31-2022, 05:57 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,016,556 times
Send leftists to the UK. Let the Brits deal with the liberal fruitbats if their policies are so much better.

Old 07-31-2022, 06:58 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Tell that to the Native American. Tell that to the Black. Tell to the others who have faced a civilized people who had the guns and they didn't. https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...itsar-massacre
Native American! lol How relevant is that to the 21st Century!!

Old 07-31-2022, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevar242 View Post
WOW stop being A liberal jerk
Maybe you should look up recent history. After the Hurricane struck. Door to Door GOV. and state agency's went with out A warrant , everywhere Confiscating by force of Arms any Firearm.
I'm a 'jerk'? Its not my belief's that lead to 40,000+ gun deaths in my country every year, having a shameful level of gun crime, having 8 year old children shot to death while at SCHOOL and still refusing to do anything about the problem............now that's where I'd start using the term 'jerk'

Old 07-31-2022, 07:04 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Native American! lol How relevant is that to the 21st Century!!
Only that people have really not changed over the centuries and if one thinks that because we have moved forward in time that the past wrongdoings will not happen again, they are bound to be shown situations where that is just not true.

Old 07-31-2022, 09:06 PM

1,811 posts, read 901,314 times
Quote:
Don't be ridiculous!
Go back and drink your tea! Americans don’t care what Brits think. You’ve given your freedoms up willingly to your sovereigns!

Old 08-01-2022, 04:05 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,181 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
About 1/2 of all the firearms in the US fall under semi auto with a removeable magazine so there is no getting that toothpaste back into the tube.
Like I stated, Americans are more than capable of making their own decisions, and I really don't want to get involved in US domestic politics.

As for guns, I am not Anti-Gun however the UK has a very different culture, and guns have traditionally been used for sport, pest control and hunting rather than a means of protection.

In the US where rural areas can be a lot more cut off, where a host of animals can kill you and where cities are more dangerous, there is a much more history and culture in terms of using firearms for self protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
Go back and drink your tea! Americans don’t care what Brits think. You’ve given your freedoms up willingly to your sovereigns!
Actually we also drink a lot of coffee, and had coffee houses back in the 1650's, some of which are still in operation today.

Grand Cafe Oxford - History

Jamaica Wine House - London/

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-01-2022 at 04:18 AM..

Old 08-01-2022, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post

https://worldpopulationreview.com/co...dex-by-country

Old 08-01-2022, 11:28 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,243,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
A popular opinion within the anti 2A and with the radical leftists now in control of the Democratic party is that the UK is a shining beacon the US should look to insofar as an armed citizenry is concerned. This of course involves striking the 2A from the bill of rights and ceding all power over arms (ALL arms not just firearms) to the gentle hands of the federal government.

The UK has to put it mildly gone hog wild and pig simple wit the restriction and outright banning of most everything sharper than a Crayon. Firearms topped the list of items that offended the Queen in the hands of the citizens. More recently cutting implements were added to that list. Te Offensive weapons Act went into effect in 2008. This was touted as the "Samurai Sword Ban" but included a LOT more than that particular piece of gear. Simply put the law is pure insanity . It also includes a clause banning "rapid fire rifles. It is specific in the sword ban stating "a curved blade over 50 cm in length. There is no definition of what constitutes a "rapid fire rifle. Huge discretionary power has been granted to the police in whether or not a particular item they find a citizen to be in possession of falls into a particular category and can both sieze the item(s) and make arrests based on their discretion.

For example, under those guidlines a fencing foil tat was bent in practice could be considered a banned item. Carrying a 4-10 year prison sentence heavy fines or both if a citizen is convicted. That is but a small sample of that law which was also amended in 2018, 2021 and again this year but only to add further restrictions and bans, not to clarify any definitions. That power still resides with the police.

So, this is the sort of law being extoled by the radical leftist agenda as "common sense?" Discretionary police power that would punish more hard working contributing citizens than criminals and squandering police and judiciary recourses to pursue these cases at a mind boggling level. Sure, lets be just like the UK. Starting with semi automatics like the AR 15 and just adding any other semi automatic into the list and giving the police the power to apply that law to whatever they come across as they see fit. Alrighty then.

I got curious about these UK laws talking with fellow sword enthusiasts martial artists and collectors on another sword oriented discussion board I frequent so I decided to look this up for myself and I was just floored. The big UK knife ban frenzy has come up on here quite a few times but that rabbit hole goes a lot deeper than just knives. Unless you're a criminal or royalty in the UK any sort of weapon to defend yourself and your loved ones with is denied you. A garden scythe could even be considered a banned weapon as it has a curved blade over 50 cm.

And this blithering idiocy is what we are being told the US needs to emulate? The adage that those who would surrender freedom for safety and security deserve neither is ringing like a bell in my mind. The UK can just keep such bilge on their side of the pons and those here in the US that think these UK laws are just peachy can pack up and move over there. Might want to leave your kitchen cutlery and gardening tools here though. You might not make it troug customs if you don't.
How many murders a year in the UK? Any mass shootings? Do you see the populace of the UK protest these restrictions? Seems like they are working to keep the people far safer there.

The last time I was in England, I felt completely safe walking around London even at night. There are many areas here I don't feel safe like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies