Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2022, 09:09 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,762 times

Advertisements

now, let's switch gears - because you wanted some research/proof.

https://aspe.hhs.gov/reports/health-...search-brief-0

That's from Health & Human services, and a pretty darn thorough study - over 50K homeless people over 4 years, and then a comparing control group.

You'll be most interested in (involves reading and scrolling):

Table 4 - conditions for admittance or noted at Admission (including mental health)
Table 5 - chronic health conditions
Table 6 - conditions of older homeless

and ...

Table 8 - Substance Abuse

which shows:

43% alcohol abuse
~20% pot or coke
15% opioid abuse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2022, 09:32 AM

19,844 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
It’s funny that you criticize me for a simplistic observation then stereotype all homeless as drug addicts.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5752714

Familiarize yourself with studies of homeless people given a small infusion of cash.

Then stop and think about this. We consider our economy to be at “full employment” not when unemployment is zero but in the single digits.

Many, (not all, but many) homeless are byproducts of current economic and political structures. Many others cannot retain employment because of mental health issues.

But it’s much easier to call them all lazy drug addicts.
Quote:

There is a solution. Just the wealthy can’t profit off it, so many don’t consider it.
Quote:

Data conflicts with your narrative.

Have you gone to the homeless and asked them if they do not want to change? Please show the study that backs up your narrative.

You keep posting the same link - a study that was done 4 years ago in Canada where they carefully selected:

All 115 participants, ranging in age between 19 and 64, had been homeless for at least six months and were not struggling with serious substance use or mental health issues. Of those, 50 people were chosen at random to be given the cash, while the others formed a control group that did not receive any money.

Obviously, they were going for a desired result knowing those with the same agenda would spam the bogus study hoping people wouldn't take two minutes to read it.

It's admirable enough to want to help the homeless. I'm involved with a local group hundreds of dollars worth of supplies. In that group of about 35 homeless that she helps, 2 or 3 have died in the year that I follow them. They were all overdoses unfortunately. One young man, I believe he was 18 years old requested shoes in a pair of pants as he got a job at Taco Bell. I haven't heard anything else and I don't recognize him in any pictures that she posts every week so I will guess that he was a success (hopefully).

The majority of homeless are struggling either with drug addiction or mental illness. For any group to intentionally 100% exclude that demographic in a study tells us that they are not a legitimate study. Stop embarrassing yourself by posting it repeatedly.

Old 07-29-2022, 11:46 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,401,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post
States with the most tolerant drug laws (or laws that are simply not enforced), surprise surprise surprise, have the highest in your face homeless camps.

Hello California! The population of CA is about 11% of the total population of the US, however, the homeless population is 161,000 and is 28% of the total homeless population in the US.

In contrast, let's look at Texas. It's about 8.7% of the total US population, with only 4.7% of the overall homeless population living there.
Hello Florida!! Travel there often and homeless people abound.

Old 07-29-2022, 05:25 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
Hello Florida!! Travel there often and homeless people abound.
That's odd. I live in Florida, and other than the occasional person in the "sign business" I never see a homeless person

Old 07-29-2022, 07:06 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
We have more than enough buildings/structures where there should be no homeless people.

The problem is the investor class can’t make any money off them.

It really is that simple of a problem.
I think you are wrong about the investor class

the problem is that 90% of structures that are abandoned in they are in disrepair and in the rears on taxes

the shear cost to fix those building to "livable"...then the cost to run those building...then the cost to house those homeless, and not only house them, but feed them too... then there is the tax issue, where all property is taxed at way too high rates...

just who is going to get stuck paying for all that... the taxpayers that is who...the taxpayers who are ALREADY paying way too high property taxes

its not about "investors" making money... its the shear cost to anytype of investor, and the local taxpayers, and to the city itself

Old 07-31-2022, 05:56 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I think you are wrong about the investor class

the problem is that 90% of structures that are abandoned in they are in disrepair and in the rears on taxes

the shear cost to fix those building to "livable"...then the cost to run those building...then the cost to house those homeless, and not only house them, but feed them too... then there is the tax issue, where all property is taxed at way too high rates...

just who is going to get stuck paying for all that... the taxpayers that is who...the taxpayers who are ALREADY paying way too high property taxes

its not about "investors" making money... its the shear cost to anytype of investor, and the local taxpayers, and to the city itself
I'm with ya on the tax thingie.

sheer/shear is a different story

But your point is well taken.

Old 07-31-2022, 08:22 AM

1,108 posts, read 528,882 times
Quote:
We have more than enough buildings/structures where there should be no homeless people.

The problem is the investor class can’t make any money off them.

It really is that simple of a problem.
Whats wrong with us investors wanting a ROI? I did not invest to be a charity for goodness shake.

Old 07-31-2022, 01:28 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,401,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
That's odd. I live in Florida, and other than the occasional person in the "sign business" I never see a homeless person
We took a long bike ride on a path somewhere around Crystal River and all along in the woods there were camps.
And just walk thru any city and you see homeless people.

Old 07-31-2022, 02:31 PM

1,022 posts, read 739,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by done working View Post
Whats wrong with us investors wanting a ROI? I did not invest to be a charity for goodness shake.
I don't think that you're the big player being referred to as the investor class. Having a rental or even a few is fine, but does not compare to the likes of Gates, Musk, Zuck, Buffet, etc.

Old 07-31-2022, 03:51 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by done working View Post
if you have more money than what you need to pay for your personal residence, then you do not need to "invest" in housing, which is a human right.

yes, that is how they think.

"If you can't live without food, clothing and shelter, then why doesn't the government make sure you have them?"

Last edited by Eyebee Teepee; 07-31-2022 at 04:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies