Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 08:03 AM

506 posts, read 480,575 times

Advertisements

I understand why someone on welfare would vote for Democrats because they want the assistance. And I get why college students living off their parents would. And I see why some working class people would if they're seeking better benefits and a higher minimum wage.

But, nowadays, a massive portion of the Democratic base is made up of wealthy elites. If someone considers themselves to be financially successful through their decisions and hard work, what reason do they have to vote for Democrats other than shame and guilt for being successful? Shame over the perceived bad state of the environment, race, poverty, history, housing, etc, and guilt for somehow believing they're at least partly responsible for the problem and fully responsible for the fix.

Old 08-02-2022, 08:15 AM

2,953 posts, read 996,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Quiet_One View Post
I understand why someone on welfare would vote for Democrats because they want the assistance. And I get why college students living off their parents would. And I see why some working class people would if they're seeking better benefits and a higher minimum wage.

But, nowadays, a massive portion of the Democratic base is made up of wealthy elites. If someone considers themselves to be financially successful through their decisions and hard work, what reason do they have to vote for Democrats other than shame and guilt for being successful? Shame over the perceived bad state of the environment, race, poverty, history, housing, etc, and guilt for somehow believing they're at least partly responsible for the problem and fully responsible for the fix.
It's a real head scratcher to me. I see Beto signs in upper class neighborhoods and I just go wtf?? Are you so out of touch that you don't see that the class warrior mob on the left wants your money and then when it's gone they want you dead for being an oppressor of the poor? The bulk of the dem constituency freakin despises you and yet you vote with them. Just because you're well off doesn't necessarily mean you're super bright or in touch with what's going on around you. Yeah then there's also the faddish mentality of progressive white guilt. "I want to fit in!"

Old 08-02-2022, 08:16 AM

25,970 posts, read 18,956,125 times
* Gullibility to false advertising.

* A false perception that the dems are "for the people."

* Various psychological abnormalities.

* Some think they are being "edgy" like a woman who is attracted to a violent, criminal man.

* Outright masochism--the "beat me, big fella" syndrome.

* Master/slave complex--some people just like being told what to do.

Old 08-02-2022, 08:20 AM

6,753 posts, read 3,023,003 times
If anyone is wealthy enough they can afford to work the system, whatever way it leans, to their benefit.

So it really doesn't matter to them.

It helps keep the peasants from climbing too high to ruin their property value.

Old 08-02-2022, 08:24 AM

10,945 posts, read 4,619,044 times
generally? I think they feel that when it comes down to machine guns controlling the masses to enable them to enjoy utopian hell, they think they will be BEHIND the machine guns.

there is always a limited amount of seats on that bus and time and time again, people get left off.

Old 08-02-2022, 08:32 AM

2,953 posts, read 996,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha
If anyone is wealthy enough they can afford to work the system, whatever way it leans, to their benefit.

So it really doesn't matter to them.

It helps keep the peasants from climbing too high to ruin their property value.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
generally? I think they feel that when it comes down to machine guns controlling the masses to enable them to enjoy utopian hell, they think they will be BEHIND the machine guns.

there is always a limited amount of seats on that bus and time and time again, people get left off.
Yes. Both of these are variants of the same thing and both true. At the extreme upper end of the wealth spectrum they can pay the extra taxes and absorb the loss of rights (2nd) and the social chaos brought on by Marxist policies. They'll always be safe with their armed guards and gated dwellings. They'll still have so much money that the 'tithing' to the left won't matter. It's a hedge against the ideology of chaos and violence. Examples - Pelosi, Gates, Newsom, Sundar Pichai etc. Kowtow to the forces that are most virulent and dangerous. How could a GOP controlled America ever threaten these people? No conservative mob is going to come for you.

Queue the Jan 6th bobble-heads in 3 .. 2 .. 1

Old 08-02-2022, 08:36 AM

455 posts, read 328,225 times
Trump won voters with $100k+ in annual income. Still leaves plenty of "wealthy elites" that your question is tackling. Just wanted to note this because it's not like the pendulum has shifted all the way and the rich for Democrat now.

Old 08-02-2022, 08:37 AM

15,895 posts, read 6,599,034 times
Oh, I suppose it could be from a sense of social responsibility. Republicans aren't always noted for their concern about the welfare of society as a whole or maintaining a healthy environment. They're more about personal greed and maintaining their status. That could be a concern for some successful people.

Old 08-02-2022, 08:40 AM

1,884 posts, read 1,008,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
Yes. Both of these are variants of the same thing and both true. At the extreme upper end of the wealth spectrum they can pay the extra taxes and absorb the loss of rights (2nd) and the social chaos brought on by Marxist policies. They'll always be safe with their armed guards and gated dwellings. They'll still have so much money that the 'tithing' to the left won't matter. It's a hedge against the ideology of chaos and violence. Examples - Pelosi, Gates, Newsom, Sundar Pichai etc. Kowtow to the forces that are most virulent and dangerous. How could a GOP controlled America ever threaten these people? No conservative mob is going to come for you.

People always forget Marx wrote in favor of guns.

Old 08-02-2022, 08:42 AM

25,970 posts, read 18,956,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post

And I'm sure Marie Antoinette had a similar mindset. The thing is, such a rabid ideology will at some point catch up to even the "untouchables." Especially in the last phase wherein said ideology ultimately fails and things collapse into anarchy mode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies