Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 04:48 AM

21,487 posts, read 10,602,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
They need to be taught how to respond to such a question if a student brings it up. Which seems to be what 147 and 148 are about. Its not teaching material as far as I can tell. But we are going to throw teachers under the bus because it scores political points. I get it

I really wish the Right would stick to issues like the economy and getting the government off everyone's back and pocketbook. Manufacturing issues to rile up the right be effective but to me its silly.

Its threads like IS BIDEN THE WORST PRESIDENT EVER? Again its riling up the base. Biden is not going anywhere and does not care if he is the worst ever. We can do better with the focus.

I went a year listening to my step daughter teach her 1st graders in Arizona over Zoom when the schools were closed over covid. She lived in our home. Pretty benign stuff. All of it.
I wish the left would stop insisting that they be allowed to discuss inappropriate sexual topics with our children in school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2022, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Right, because getting wrong information from peers is so much better. And if parents aren't going to teach this stuff, and most of them won't, the kids are going to get their information somewhere. Better that it be factual information from a teacher than from somewhere else, especially a puritanical "sex is evil" source.
Do you know how many transgenders went to my high school? Zero, and remains zero to this day over thirty years later. That’s because teaching it and constantly telling little kids gender is up to them and a social construct actually confuses kids and leads many down a path that has a high suicide rate because it makes these kids confused and miserable.

So yeah, there is no need for this subject in schools.

Old 08-08-2022, 06:19 AM

21,957 posts, read 9,548,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I wish the left would stop insisting that they be allowed to discuss inappropriate sexual topics with our children in school.
It would be different if they were succeeded in the basic education requirements. We are something like 25th in education worldwide. Maybe that's why they focus on this? To mask the fact that they are failing in education?

Old 08-08-2022, 06:27 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,807,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
The semen one is certainly not necessary, and I can't stand the woke stuff, but why did you single out masturbation on 147?
These are potential questions posed by students.

Old 08-08-2022, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
It would be different if they were succeeded in the basic education requirements. We are something like 25th in education worldwide. Maybe that's why they focus on this? To mask the fact that they are failing in education?
I wish it was that deep. I think they’re just that stupid to not realize the effects of teaching this topic to small children. They think they’re being helpful when it’s really being harmful.

Old 08-08-2022, 07:07 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,807,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Do you know how many transgenders went to my high school? Zero, and remains zero to this day over thirty years later. That’s because teaching it and constantly telling little kids gender is up to them and a social construct actually confuses kids and leads many down a path that has a high suicide rate because it makes these kids confused and miserable.

So yeah, there is no need for this subject in schools.
I was in high school in the 70’s. No one was “ out” back then. It came as a surprise to learn when some eventually came out as gay adults.

My BF, captain of football team, disclosed to me that his mother had found his stash of female underwear in his room. He told her the stuff was mine. He then told me he would wear the stuff under his clothes and drive around fantasizing about picking up guys. I could not, COULD NOT, wrap my head around it and ended the relationship. I also kept his secret.

My point here is that LGBT have been among the general population since forever. ( I don’t know what ***** means).

Having said this, seems to me Trans is a fad and many will outgrow it. No amount of blockers, hormones or surgery can change biological gender. It’s none of my business how someone wants to identify one day to the next or permanently. I will not however, play the pronoun game.

The most famous Trans person is a life long Republican who earned gold at Olympics and fathered 6 children with 3 wives. He chose to complete his transition at age 65. I wanted to understand and watched the documentary, Caitlyn where he waxed on about being able to wear nail polish in public and pretty, flowing frocks and seemed genuinely happy with his choice. He has no interest in pursuing a romantic / sexual relationship with anyone.

It was never about sex.

I don’t care if Caitlyn in in the “ ladies “ while I am.

I am grateful my children came of age before Trans became a thing.

Old 08-08-2022, 07:38 AM

15,514 posts, read 7,551,940 times
Quote:
Education failures are more related to the lack of parental involvement and failure to properly fund the schools that teach lower socio-economic status kids than to anything "leftist"

Old 08-08-2022, 07:59 AM

1,884 posts, read 1,006,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
These are potential questions posed by students.
I see that now, even more of a non-issue than I imagined

Old 08-08-2022, 09:01 AM

41,994 posts, read 75,295,700 times
Quote:
Should teachers be teaching our kids about masturbation? Or semen?
The issue is not teaching, it's being prepared to answer questions should they arise. And semen? That's kind of an essential ingredient in sex, dontcha think? How are you gonna have a comprehensive sex ed curriculum without discussion semen?

Quote:
Half the kids in public school can't even read. And we need to teach this?
Reading comprehension is a part of every class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
I would tell the kid to shut up, that question has no place in the classroom.
Telling a kid to shut up has no place in the classroom.

Quote:
I would be money that no kid ever went up to a teacher and asked if it was ok to masturbate.
How much do you want to bet? Because my house needs a new roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
How about NO? Sex ed was sold as a health class to teach kids about their bodies. No adult should be talking to other people's minor children about masturbation
Masturbation doesn't involve our bodies? Dang, I must be doing it wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I was in high school in the 70’s. No one was “ out” back then. It came as a surprise to learn when some eventually came out as gay adults.
Same, but I'm never surprised. Why should I be? I can't presume what's going on inside someone's head.

I know of at least a dozen (out of 160) classmates who have come out over the years. Two of them were my very best friends in high school, and I'm still close friends with one. I suspected, but didn't know for sure. People just didn't come out then.

Old 08-08-2022, 10:33 AM

1,931 posts, read 561,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Agreed. But if you were a teacher and a student asked, how would you respond?

The presentation you linked doesn’t tell the teachers what to say, it only asks them to think about it.

If it were me, I would say something like “masturbation is very common. So you don’t need to feel strange or guilty about it. But whether or not you should do it is something you need to decide for yourself, based on your own values and religious beliefs. I can’t answer that for you.”
A reasonable statement without really providing an answer. I do question though if that would be the response of most teachers. Another response could be "that is a question for your parents". Granted, many parents do not bring up the subject, but if asked a point blank question seldom refuse an answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies