Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2022, 04:42 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,795,118 times

Advertisements

Government spending accounted for nearly half of our entire GDP last year, 44.5%. That’s not exactly a free market. That’s the government picking nearly all winners and losers. We had a much larger middle class when government was much more restrained. If you look around the US the most equitable places; North Dakota, Iowa, New Hampshire, etc are pretty much universally small government states. You can’t sit on your butt and expect upward mobility you need to get out and participate and make a real effort; graduate school, gain skills, invest, start businesses, buy property, etc. The government isn’t the answer to your problems. You certainly can’t complain if you are making poor life choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2022, 04:47 PM

3,113 posts, read 939,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Government spending accounted for nearly half of our entire GDP last year, 44.5%. That’s not exactly a free market. That’s the government picking nearly all winners and losers. We had a much larger middle class when government was much more restrained. If you look around the US the most equitable places; North Dakota, Iowa, New Hampshire, etc are pretty much universally small government states. You can’t sit on your butt and expect upward mobility you need to get out and participate and make a real effort; graduate school, gain skills, invest, start businesses, buy property, etc. The government isn’t the answer to your problems. You certainly can’t complain if you are making poor life choices.
This is a product of runaway capitalism fyi. A few people become rich, very rich. They then turn around and bribe politicians to rig the rules in their favor. From here on out, lion share of government spending goes directly or indirectly into their pockets. The country becomes poorer, less efficient. Our infrastructure is worse than most European countries. They get richer though.

I agree, upward mobility and the middle class was best during the 50s/60s.

Old 08-14-2022, 06:09 PM

24,641 posts, read 9,468,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
1.1 million, mostly making starvation wages.
1.1 million people who are happy to not be homeless. How many jobs have your created? Now enjoy your trickle.

Quote:
I’m certainly not going to disagree that Jeff Bezos is a brilliant entrepreneur! I bought 1000 shares of AMZN back in 1999 and sold it in 2016. Bezos made me a lot of money! However, there needs to be regulation to keep titans like Bezos from squashing the up and coming entrepreneur and from turning our society into an oligarchy.
Regulation doesn’t solve laziness or whining, two things society is very good at when they claim “life is unfair.”

I would suggest you get a job, live below your means, and use that difference to create, buy, or build a business. It’s far faster than waiting for Brandon to legislate you up the social ladder.

Old 08-14-2022, 06:15 PM

24,641 posts, read 9,468,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Exactly. For example, look at that "cash me outside" girl. She is probably one of the dumbest, most ignorant humans on the face of the planet. She just bought a $6 million house in FL, and i think she is only 25.
Now she is an extreme example, but proof people can jump up in classes in this country. Her ignorance and attitude actually probably helped her get to that level, she was to dumb to realize the cards were stacked against her.
Bingo. It’s really not rocket science. Take money your make from your primary income, buy some assets, and eventually enough of those assets will substitute your primary income.

It’s far easier and faster than whining over Elon Musk, who the left continues to make very wealthy.

If “catch me outside girl” is filthy reach, the left doesn’t have any excuse.

Old 08-14-2022, 06:36 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,309,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
The fact that you can increase your wealth over time has nothing to do with the fact that the amount of $ you have is (at least in an idealized model) a proxy for potential ownership/purchase of every product, service, and resource currently available on the market at any given snapshot in time. You have to be specific when you say "wealth isn't finite". Technically, there may not be a thing in the universe that isn't finite.
I'm afraid I'm going to need my "Democrat talking points to reality" translator, if you please.

Quote:
Are you saying that taxation can decrease overall wealth creation? That's true in many instances, but you have to be specific with your claims. All you said was "some people got richer on a $ amount basis".
It's relatively simple, and applies across all income groups that will take a marginal $ and invest it:

1. The Federal government takes a $1, and turns it into about 80 cents of "benefits".

2. If you put $1 and invested it in an index fund in a typical market, you will turn it into $1.08 in a year.

Which number is larger: $0.80 or $1.08?

Quote:
Never said they didn't pay more. I said people were wary of the trickle-down concept potentially being used as an excuse for the rich to lower taxes even further.
People are wary because in government/politics-speak, a tax rate CUT automatically means you will receive FEWER dollars, despite the fact that historically it means MORE DOLLARS when it is applied to upper earners.

For the simplest example possible, don't look at the link above (which only runs through 2019), go to annual actual receipts, especially summarized by https://taxfoundation.org/federal-income-tax-data-2021/

Old 08-14-2022, 06:47 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Quote:
Eh it’s the opposite.

If you think you have any power you’re living in lalaland

Nobody has more power over your economic state of being than YOU.

Old 08-14-2022, 06:52 PM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Bingo. It’s really not rocket science. Take money your make from your primary income, buy some assets, and eventually enough of those assets will substitute your primary income.

It’s far easier and faster than whining over Elon Musk, who the left continues to make very wealthy.

If “catch me outside girl” is filthy reach, the left doesn’t have any excuse.
Exactly. If this stain on humanity can become wealthy, anyone can.

Old 08-14-2022, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Yeah, someone with half brain may think that. Not someone with a proper brain though.
I think you meant "people with half a brain are successful at convincing others with half a brain that this makes sense".

I could be wrong - you may not have meant it. It would have been a correct statement though.

Old 08-14-2022, 07:09 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,795,118 times
Quote:
This is a product of runaway capitalism fyi. A few people become rich, very rich. They then turn around and bribe politicians to rig the rules in their favor. From here on out, lion share of government spending goes directly or indirectly into their pockets. The country becomes poorer, less efficient. Our infrastructure is worse than most European countries. They get richer though.

I agree, upward mobility and the middle class was best during the 50s/60s.
Europe is not getting richer, the European economy hasn’t grown against inflation for a very long time. Things are very bureaucratic and litigious in Europe. If you’re a motivated person it’s a lot easier to accumulate wealth in the US. The best way to limit politicians rigging the rules is to simply shrink the government and/or decentralize it so they have less power to dole out. When the government makes up half the economy of course it will be corrupted. Company’s will spend more time lobbying than they will competing for market share by offering new, cheaper, better products and services.

Old 08-14-2022, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I can remember when that changed. "Personnel Departments" which were focused on the people who worked for the company were renamed "Human Resources" and then just became another line item in the budget. That is when companies stopped thinking about fairness that might keep their workers engaged and productive and intent on making money for the company. I think that is also around the time when employee loyalty dissolved and one could no longer view a job at a given company as a career. Job hopping became the only way to get a raise for many. Companies for some reason didn't care that they always had training expenses for new employees, as long as the HR line item in the budget didn't go too high.
and you should spend time, going back to that time in the very late 80's/early 90's and figure out why it happened and who "allowed" it by the laws they put in place.

You're absolutely correct - the "career employee" came to an end with M&A and focus on quarterly financial performance. But how did we get there, and who "allowed" it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies