Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2022, 02:47 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,884,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
So the cops will have to enter the schools to access the firearms rather than already being armed. I must be missing something here.
Yeah, this is a hairbrained idea right from the get-go. And that's assuming they get to the stash of firearms before the shooter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2022, 03:00 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,834,900 times
Quote:
So the cops will have to enter the schools to access the firearms rather than already being armed. I must be missing something here.
You are. Did you read the article? If you haven't then you should. It will be perfectly clear.

Old 08-10-2022, 03:08 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,108,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
You are. Did you read the article? If you haven't then you should. It will be perfectly clear.
Yeah, I went back and read the article (again). Something about keeping safes containing AR-15s and breaching tools in the schools. Not sure what good this would have done in Uvalde where the cops were already armed but stood around frozen with fear while the maniac went on the killing spree.

Old 08-10-2022, 03:41 PM

18,143 posts, read 15,717,350 times
Unless staff has access to and the codes for any safe... though it wouldn't have helped in the Parkland shooting either, since the killing of 17 people and wounding 17 others, over 3 floors, took 6 minutes after which the shooter disappeared into the crowd of kids escaping out of the building.

Cops still hadn't breached the building and the shooter was already gone, but they stayed 1,000 ft away for 20 more minutes, and didn't know he was gone because the CCTV they were watching from inside the school was on a 26 min delay. So many points of failure there. A safe with an AR-15 wouldn't have done a thing.

Old 08-10-2022, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I went back and read the article (again). Something about keeping safes containing AR-15s and breaching tools in the schools. Not sure what good this would have done in Uvalde where the cops were already armed but stood around frozen with fear while the maniac went on the killing spree.
I do not believe Uvalde is typical. Do you?

The tools and AR's will not be IN THE SCHOOLS!

Old 08-10-2022, 06:55 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,091,016 times
What could go wrong!?

Old 08-10-2022, 08:33 PM

19,729 posts, read 10,147,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
What could go wrong!?
We protect politicians and money with guns, but we should not protect kids?

Old 08-10-2022, 09:13 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,108,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
I do not believe Uvalde is typical. Do you?

The tools and AR's will not be IN THE SCHOOLS!
Exactly where will the ARs be kept? I did not see that on the link.

Old 08-11-2022, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Exactly where will the ARs be kept? I did not see that on the link.
How would I know that?

Point is... tools outside for responders, not inside. Typical storage is in a reinforced concrete vault of some sort. That's what they use outside nuclear plants. I'll assume something similar or what ever they (county) can afford.

Old 08-11-2022, 06:32 AM

18,143 posts, read 15,717,350 times
The first and possibly main failure point was that these shooters were *easily* able to walk into these schools.

In Ulvade, the shooter got in through a side door. The door was supposed to lock automatically when closed, though teachers/staff would prop the door open with a rock, bypassing security protocols. The door was propped open that day as well, though allegedly a teacher pushed aside the rock and let the door close as the shooter walked toward that door. And then the door didn't lock and he walked right in.

In Parkland, the shooter was a former student who had been expelled the year before, and was known to school staff campus monitors as "crazy boy" as he had made threats over a few years. Yet the lamest of the lame campus monitor watched "crazy boy" enter the campus, carrying a large black bag holding an AR15, and did....nothing. Didn't stop him.

If the most basic safety measures can't or won't be followed to keep these shooters out of the buildings in the first place, then anything else will always be too late and after-the-fact. In 5 minutes a shooter can take out dozens of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies