Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2022, 07:16 AM

6,389 posts, read 2,712,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The DOJ assigned federal martials to protect Kavanaugh by the one individual, did you miss the nut that attacked the FBI office today because of the angry rhetoric by republicans that don't even have any facts. This is dangerous.

Nice bit of hyperbole when it's a republican being investigated, when it's a democrat it's no big deal.

How about letting the facts come out before you get the torches and pitch forks out.

We know what is rampant and it isn't corruption.
Let's talk about rhetoric. Kavanaugh has always had "protection" from the Secret Service. But it wasn't even any of these people that protected him. The guy who wanted to kill him actually was the one who called 9-1-1 and turned himself in before he did it.

As for the "Attack" on the FBI office. This was a guy who got stopped at the visitor screening station and then ran off and ended up in a Stand-Off with police after a chase.

Rhetoric is dangerous. I haven't heard one political official telling people to go start attacking FBI offices. But I did hear this Administration and other Leading Democrats telling people it was totally acceptable to "Protest" in front of the Supreme Court justices, and making statements that could have encouraged some people with more extreme views to take those protests further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2022, 07:39 AM

10,483 posts, read 7,005,412 times
When Trump takes office, he needs to remove the entire deep state from all the agencies through even the whitehouse staffers.

Old 08-12-2022, 07:42 AM

29,501 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
A country will have unrest if its citizens believe that there is a two-tiered justice system and that is what Americans believe.

What percent believes that the US has a two-tiered Justice System?

Americans 79.3%
Republicans 87.8%
Independents 77.2%
Democrats 66.7%

Just 11.6% of Americans believe that the US has a Justice System with laws applied equally to all Americans. (17.5% Dems, 6.9% Reps, 13.8% Ind) Most trusting age group was 25to36 at 13.6%. Least trusting age group was 18 to 24 at 83.1%. Women were slightly more skeptical of the Justice System than men. Asians and Whites were the least trusting of the Justice System with 84.7% of Asians and 81.4% of whites saying we have a two tiered system and blacks and Hispanics being more trusting, but still disapproving at 69.3% and 71.5% respectively.

9.1% are not sure, which is also a bad sign as they could not affirm that they trust the Justice System to be fair.

This is a severe sickness that has fallen on the country.

To be fair, I would imagine we'd get different varying responses from person to person. I would guess that these would be common responses:

-The Justice System favors the rich.

-The Justice System favors whites.

-The Justice System favors Democrat politicians.

-The Justice System favors Trump.

-The Justice System favors the establishment.

I would surmise that the unrest that we saw in the summer of 2020 and even January 6, was at least, in part in a lack of trust in the Justice System.

How do we fix this? How can we get trust back into the Justice System?

https://www.thetrafalgargroup.org/wp...eport-0729.pdf

Our justice system definitely needs a reboot. And our laws don't seem to be applied fairly throughout our country.

They seem to favor the wealthy.

They seem to favor minorities.

Old 08-12-2022, 09:00 AM

2 posts, read 1,318 times
As a lawyer, [url]https://www.guilamolaw.com[/url], I can tell you that most people who work in the criminal justice system try to achieve justice for the people involved. Sure, there are some bad apples, but what profession is immune from having bad actors. People can share an opinion that a certain outcome was wrong, but disagree whether it was too harsh or too lenient. We have to look at each case individually instead of group the whole system as one.

Old 08-12-2022, 09:10 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
More mental masturbation.

The DoJ exists/operates at the behest of the POTUS. They are just one of the several groups of armed, jackbooted thugs who flex his muscle at his whim for any reason he commands.

So how do we, the people that POTUS can terrorize anytime and anyway he likes with said thugs, "mend" those thugs? A tyrant enjoys unlimited power to swing the DoJ sword at anyone's neck for any reason whenever he pleases...so what sort of cool weapon smithing can we do to that sword to make that whole "off with their head" thing more palatable?

ooh...maybe we can vote! Nope, DoJ - executive branch purview.

ooh...checks and balances, let's have Congress check that crap! Nope - DoJ goes after a few random reps and Senators, wrecks their lives, destroys their careers, rest of Congress gets message to stay silent and obedient.

Seriously...just stop asking nonsense, impossible rhetorical questions and just live a life that hopefully keeps you off their radar. THERE IS NOTHING ELSE YOU CAN DO.

Old 08-12-2022, 09:14 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guilamo View Post
As a lawyer, https://www.guilamolaw.com, I can tell you that most people who work in the criminal justice system try to achieve justice for the people involved. Sure, there are some bad apples, but what profession is immune from having bad actors. People can share an opinion that a certain outcome was wrong, but disagree whether it was too harsh or too lenient. We have to look at each case individually instead of group the whole system as one.
Nonsense.

People who work for the government do whatever top bureaucrat commands. If they don't, they don't work the government anymore. Therefore, anyone still actually working there does whatever tyrant in charge demands, period, end of line.

I don't necessarily assign evil to them, but they are not blameless, nor are they benevolent. They do their master's bidding, and that bidding is always "go harm some number of citizens because I said so."

Old 08-12-2022, 09:22 AM

4,853 posts, read 3,279,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
What should he have charged them with? Pizzagate?
Did Hillary even get a slap on the wrist over the Email debacle? At the very least, there's a national security issue there. Of course she wasn't POTUS... but I expect one could make an argument that the Secretary of State carries just as much weight... and maybe more.

Old 08-12-2022, 09:25 AM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Criminal justice system in this country applies all the risk to the defendant and no risk to the prosecutor. Juries are made up of random people who generally are not employed usually retired. That leaves the unemployed, and elderly to judge someone who might have been wrongfully prosecuted. Cognitive decline starts at age 60 on top of that a jury is expected to understand the law based on a crash course given to them by a judge which is usually no more than a paragraph read by a judge. 85% state, and 95% federal trials end in conviction. This is why most people just take plea deals even though they might be innocent the prosecutor has no risk of losing. There been cases where people were wrongfully arrested then a prosecutor will offer to drop the charges if the defendant signs a contract to release them of a lawsuit. That has gone to the SC more then once they sided with the state.

Prosecutorial misconduct where an innocent man has served years behind bars usually only ends in a censure, or sometimes they are disbarred. They are never prosecuted themselves for sending an innocent man to prison.
Our earliest written laws had some understanding of that.

Code of Hammurabi:
1. If a man brings an accusation against another man, charging him with murder, but cannot prove it, the accuser shall be put to death.

2. If a man has accused another of laying a spell upon him, but has not proved it, the accused shall go to the sacred river, he shall plunge into the sacred river, and if the sacred river shall conquer him, he that accused him shall take possession of his house. If the sacred river shall show his innocence and he is saved, his accuser shall be put to death.

3. If a man bears false witness in a case, or does not establish the testimony that he has given, if that case is case involving life, that man shall be put to death.

4. If a man bears false witness concerning grain or money, he shall himself bear the penalty imposed in the case.

5. If a judge pronounces judgment, renders a decision, delivers a verdict duly signed and sealed, and afterward alters his judgment , they shall call that judge to account for the alteration of the judgment which he has pronounced, and he shall pay twelve-fold the penalty in that judgment; and, in the assembly, they shall expel him from his judgment seat.

Old 08-12-2022, 09:31 AM

9,511 posts, read 4,344,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Quit voting for the Republicans and Democrats and start voting for other party or independent. While Barr was AG, look at what he didn't do. For starters he didn't file charges against any of the Clintons.
You're right, which is why I am registered as an independent (unaffiliated) voter. Here's the conundrum, though: there's a lot of truth to the belief that a vote for a 3rd party/independent candidate is a "wasted" vote. I've voted for 3rd party candidates in the past and, not surprisingly, my candidate got trounced by the Republican/Dem candidate. So, it's going to be an uphill battle for two reasons. First, you have people like me who would prefer to vote for a third party independent candidate but don't want to waste my vote, and second, voters who simply have no desire to do the work required to understand who the best candidate is, so they vote on party lines. IMHO, these two groups combined represent an insurmountable number of votes that no independent candidate will overcome. That being said, my dream is that a 3rd party/independent candidate emerges who is so energizing that they actually have a real shot at winning.

To make matters worse, many folks feel like we are at a tipping point in this country right now. There is a very real fear that we're at a fork in the road and the wrong choice will be disastrous. As such, everyone is afraid to "waste" their vote on someone who has little chance of winning. I'd rather vote for the lesser of two evils in order to ensure that evil incarnate (I will refrain from mentioning a specific party) isn't elected.

Old 08-12-2022, 10:24 AM

13,269 posts, read 7,316,697 times
I can see this thread is digressing to DEM v GOP, and bashing the DOJ nothing new here on POC. I was hoping of more intelligent discussion yet another waste of time.

Somethings that I think would improve it would be a Jury must meet some minimum qualification maybe some simple testing to look for cognitive decline, and juries should be able to vote in secret. Lot of times a few jury members disagree and are simply bullied into convicting by the rest because they want to go home get it over with.

Last edited by kell490; 08-12-2022 at 10:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies