Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2022, 06:36 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
The $2000 annual out-of-pocket limit for Medicare Prescriptions will positively impact a large number of citizens. Mostly seniors but also disabled that are on Medicare.

The ACA subsidy extension will help a lot of people that retire before age 65 and buy ACA policies before qualifying for Medicare at age 65.
Any drug price reductions (IF they ever happen) don’t kick in for at least 3 years.
The only benefit I can see is for the Obamacare program - it keeps the Covid benefits in place, even though Covid is over. Cost is to the Taxpayers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Untrue.

For me, it means 3 more years of reduced monthly ACA healthcare premiums! The expanded premiums were due to expire at the end of this year. Those have been very helpful, keeping my healthcare costs contained.

Also, more people will continue to qualify for healthcare subsidies on the ACA, with higher levels of income. That will greatly benefit those who hadn't previously qualified for subsidies due to their income. That could mean savings of $1K/month, possibly more, depending.

For those on Medicare, costs for certain medicines should be lower (TBD).

Haven't gone through the bill to see what else, those items jumped out at me right away.
Main thing all of us will see (other than the ObamaCare Welfare Benefit Subsided premium) is the new AND Immediate TAX on Fossil Fuel. Gasoline prices UP, Natural Gas for heating & Electricity UP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
So the government is subsidizing people to offset inflated prices …. Welfare
Yep — but never forget - Biden says it’s the most HISTORIC bill in History.
LIV’s rejoice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2022, 06:53 PM

12,988 posts, read 9,510,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californian27 View Post
Like how will it affect my salary? How much extra will I be paying? How will I be affected?
It shouldn't directly affect your tax liability at all if you didn't cheat on your taxes. Perhaps.

Indirectly, it'll cost you a lot because it will increase inflation in spite of its name. Virtually everything will increase in price. It's never a good thing when we or the government spend money we don't have. The push toward "green" is undetermined, but most likely, in my opinion, the price of fuel will increase dramatically after the midterms which causes just about everything we buy to get more expensive. I wouldn't be surprised to see gas rationing.

Old 08-16-2022, 07:23 PM

19,799 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californian27 View Post
Like how will it affect my salary? How much extra will I be paying? How will I be affected?
1. Your salary will remain on the trajectory as per the last few years.

2. Prices will undoubtedly increase in a relativistic sense.

3. Some EV prices have already jumped by the $7,500 new subsidy. Except A. the subsidy doesn't apply save for just a couple of EVs B. Same for batteries.

4. Your chances of an IRS audit have increased.

5. The chances of something expensive, shiny and new being built or R&R'd within 100 miles of you are decent - something that really matters to you........nearly zero.

Old 08-16-2022, 08:13 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I don't see them as dumb... actually smart slick snake oil sales persons

democrats are so slick and forked tongued, they could sell Ice Water to Eskimos
They are dumb because they think getting rid of fossil fuels when we are probably 30 years away from good alternatives will be great for this country. If they really understood what they are advocating then they wouldn’t do it:

Old 08-16-2022, 08:16 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,861,844 times
Lube not included.

Old 08-16-2022, 08:23 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
They are dumb because they think getting rid of fossil fuels when we are probably 30 years away from good alternatives will be great for this country. If they really understood what they are advocating then they wouldn’t do it:
I think they know what they are selling....more taxes on the people

I don't look at democrats and say they are dumb...I look at democrats and say (with certainty) they are liars

Old 08-17-2022, 06:16 AM

43,124 posts, read 18,281,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
It's not just the US doing this. This is happening all over the world in first world countries. It's a global agenda

Old 08-18-2022, 07:54 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
even MSNBC and CNN are NOW (after it was signed) that it will not reduce inflation

Old 08-19-2022, 10:21 AM

1,884 posts, read 1,003,209 times
Would anybody provide proof+sources that this bill will increase, rather than decrease, the federal deficit? My question is in good faith. The waters are muddied.

Old 08-19-2022, 10:38 AM

43,124 posts, read 18,281,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
Would anybody provide proof+sources that this bill will increase, rather than decrease, the federal deficit? My question is in good faith. The waters are muddied.
Really ? According to the CBO...EVERY spending bill reduces the deficit

Only we find out years later that it wasn't quite true...logic alone should tell you spending money you don't have will not reduce any debt you have.

And here we sit.....almost $31 trillion in debt with a declining workforce and China and Japan reducing their holdings of our Treasuries
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies