Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2022, 04:43 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,604,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I hope VS is doing this to legitimately help this young lady and give her an opportunity, and not to take advantage of her or use her over some temporary fad.
Agreed.

I hope her career is long and healthy. Not that there is anything wrong with bagging groceries, but that is typically as far as people with DS get into the work world. This young lady is probably making a very decent living now.

Old 08-13-2022, 04:47 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Well, isn’t that special? The ride on the Woke Bus continues. To be expected I guess since they have mentally ill cross dresser models and fat chicks on parade now. What’s next, fashion for criminal border trespassers? Or maybe a pedo or two?

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...-down-syndrome
So..what's the issue? Why would anyone be upset about this? Good for her and I cannot possibly see a this as a negative in any way. Good grief can't you people just be happy about anything?

Old 08-13-2022, 04:51 PM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
I think it is terrific and good for her to have the confidence to try modeling.

This afternoon I was riding my bike to the beach and a kid with Downs that was riding on his moms back thought it was so funny that I was walking my bike in the sand. I said hi to him and her and as we passed he kept staring and staring and I kept waving to him.

My wife has a relative with a Downs syndrome kid and he actually won a Gold medal at the Special Olympics.

I don't think anyone should be putting these people down. If this model doesn't match your idea of beauty OP than move on.

I say Good for her.

Old 08-13-2022, 05:09 PM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Model with down's syndrome...

Historically, models were hired because they were attractive. And that was pretty much that. Then along came "plus models." Eh. There are some pretty cute plump women. Aside from the health concerns and maybe not the best image from a health perspective for young folks to "aspire to," okay. Fine.

Now along comes a model with down's syndrome. Sorry to be so "shallow," but I'm going to say that a model still should be visually appealing/attractive, down's syndrome or not. So, not to put anyone down, but if the model were "ugly" (yeah, I know that's judgmental and shallow, but it is in the job description of a model to be attractive... I'm not a model because I'm not attractive) then I would say, perhaps she should find something better suited to her.

So... is this model with down's syndrome attractive or ugly? Or somewhere in between? Looking at her photo, I don't think she is ugly at all. Yeah, she obviously has the "down's syndrome look," but she's not ugly. She's quite attractive in her own way. So... good for her. She will probably do quite well because she certainly has her own look compared to the typical model and she's not unattractive (in my opinion) whatsoever. And she'll likely bring a bit of spotlight on down's syndrome people.

There is a boy with down's syndrome living just a few doors down my block (well, he's a young man now). Get's along quite well. Nicest kid you could ever meet. Not a wicked or mean bone in his body. Too bad more people aren't like that as far as personality.

Old 08-13-2022, 05:15 PM

12,983 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Well, isn’t that special? The ride on the Woke Bus continues. To be expected I guess since they have mentally ill cross dresser models and fat chicks on parade now. What’s next, fashion for criminal border trespassers? Or maybe a pedo or two?

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...-down-syndrome
I have no problem with this one. Good for her. She has no control over her condition. The same can't be said for the "plus size" models that they've seen fit to have.

Old 08-13-2022, 05:17 PM

7,118 posts, read 4,536,107 times
Some people with this disability function at a higher level than others. I am really happy for her. I don’t know why anyone would be upset by this. There was a young man with DS on a tv show for awhile.

Old 08-13-2022, 05:27 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Doesn't VS sell products mostly to women though? That would be the target audience I would assume.
They also sell to men... fancy little underthings that some men buy for their women. Have you never seen the VS fashion show on TV?

Old 08-13-2022, 05:29 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
They also sell to men... fancy little underthings that some men buy for their women. Have you never seen the VS fashion show on TV?

Yes, but I thought women were the ones buying most their products, not men. I know men buy these things for their lovers, but I didn't think they make up the majority of customers.

Old 08-13-2022, 06:43 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
So what? She looks decently athletic.
My buddy works with special needs. THere is a huge consent issue there (think 12 year old girls) and they are frequently targeted by perverts on-line. (I cannot stress this enough. Also, the special needs guys are targeted on Facebook by "girlfriends" trying to get them to send money.

As such, without knowing her specific capability level, I find it *potentially* REALLY cringe.

Just remember, a lot of the exploitation in the 70's and 80's of women was passed off as "liberating".

Now don't get me wrong, if a woman (or man) wants to do anything at all consensually it's none of my business. I just am very leery of coercion and encouraging consent with themes of *empowerment*.

Old 08-13-2022, 07:21 PM

2,912 posts, read 1,248,946 times
If this is truly her dream than more power to her. I just hope she has a good safety net around her protecting her from the inevitable skeeves. I have a special needs son, so I have experience in how lowlifes will try to manipulate these vulnerable people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies