Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2022, 03:26 PM

1,692 posts, read 610,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
The reservoirs drying up around the world/lack of rain is evidence of global warming.

As I stated, it may or may not be man-made. I don't know and neither do you.
Reservoirs drying up are not just because lack of rain. It’s poor water management as well. Also, how is the lack of rain evidence of long term global warming? It’s not like the West has not seen severe drought before, well before they had the people out there they do today. I’ll submit England as an example as well. Two years ago massive, flooding. This year very dry. Things like this happen and are not necessarily evidence of global warming let alone that man is causing it or can do anything about it. Local weather events of years or even a couple of decades are not evidence of man made global warming.

Old 08-15-2022, 03:32 PM

1,212 posts, read 732,197 times
A heat index, in the eastern part of the country, doesn't require temperatures as high as in the western part of the country. The difference is humidity.

But asphalt parking lots are going to need breezeways with metal roofs. Or asphalt parking lots are going to need a grid of trees. In fact I've seen large asphalt parking lots along I-5 that would presently be a risk to anyone walking across them

Old 08-15-2022, 03:39 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,825,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginwaterland View Post
Reservoirs drying up are not just because lack of rain. It’s poor water management as well. Also, how is the lack of rain evidence of long term global warming? It’s not like the West has not seen severe drought before, well before they had the people out there they do today. I’ll submit England as an example as well. Two years ago massive, flooding. This year very dry. Things like this happen and are not necessarily evidence of global warming let alone that man is causing it or can do anything about it. Local weather events of years or even a couple of decades are not evidence of man made global warming.
Once again, the planet is currently warming up. That is a fact.

I don't pretend to know if man has played a role in it. Neither should you.

Old 08-15-2022, 03:51 PM

12,964 posts, read 9,481,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Counties where temperatures are expected to exceed 125 at least once a year on average by 2053:

Includes all of Arkansas, Illinois, Louisiana and Missouri with portions of Iowa, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Texas, Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Florida, New Mexico, Arizona and California.

https://www.axios.com/2022/08/15/ext...global-warming

It's not temperature they're talking about, it's heat indices, not the real temperature - a combination of heat and humidity - the "feels like" temperature. So the premise isn't all that far-fetched

There are places, such as India and Pakistan, where the heat index has been as high as 160-170, so such "feels like" conditions are not unprecedented. Some areas in Arkansas and the Mississippi Delta (like Memphis) already have had heat indices or 115 or so, so a little added humidity and a little hotter temps will achieve the 125 landmark.

There's no question that certain areas have certainly gotten hotter over the past 40 or 50 years, my hometown included. Will it continue and is it caused by humans? I don't know. Can we fix it by "climate initiatives"? I also don't know.

Temps on the Earth tend to go in cycles - we've had ice ages and we've had very hot times. So who's to say what we're experiencing isn't just cyclic? Some of those times we didn't even have humans around.

Old 08-15-2022, 03:53 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,825,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I know the Earth is in an interglacial warming period, so the global temperature SHOULD BE INCREASING.

Way better than a glacial period, for sure. In fact, given that a few degrees above absolute zero is the rule for the universe, and habitable, life sustaining temperatures are the infinitesimally rare exception...I'll take a slight warming during an interglacial...every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Feel free to live your life any way you like, just don't let your "I don't know" lead to dictating how I live mine.
I just spent $43k as my share to reinforce a 50-year-old seawall that was being inundated by the rise in sea level. The ocean level is now higher than at any time in the past 50 years, and more. The original wall was built based upon decades of collected data.

Perhaps the glaciers are being decimated by something other than global warming?

Once again, I have no idea if the cause is manmade. Neither do you.

Old 08-15-2022, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Using one state - Wisconsin.

Record high temp (114) was set in 1936.

Highest 30 year average for highest one day temp (1923-1952) = 103.3

Most recent 30 year average, ending 2015 (1986-2015) = 102.6

Notable fact - since 1936, the entire state of Wisconsin has not come within 5 degrees of that 114 high set in 1936 (109 in 1995). Not even for a single day. In the last 20 years, they haven't come within 8 degrees of 114 (106 in 2012).

So....

This study would like me to believe that Wisconsin will not only break a single day high temp record that they haven't come within fewer than 5 degrees of in 86 years, but they will beat that record by 11 degrees, doing so within a 30 year window, when their worst 30 year window ever averaged 103.3?

Something tells me I have no reason to a) be scared or b) believe a bunch of morons who cannot look at a data set and understand what it says.
All your examples were about weather, not climate. There's a difference.

Old 08-15-2022, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
I haven’t noticed Miami’s summers getting hotter, if anything the heat starts sooner and lasts longer, but the peak heat is the same.

Meanwhile in Europe, we had one hell of a hot summer! For the record books!
It's certainly been hotter than normal this summer here. July average high was around 96. It's supposed to be 91 or so. And nights are warmer as well.

Back to climate matters though - I've been in the Huntsville area for something over 50 years. In that time, the 30 year average temp the NWS publishes has gone up 3-4 degrees in January, and a little less but still a lot in July. Those numbers are pretty significant, and even though the area has grown drastically over that time, I don't think all of it can be blamed on concrete and asphalt.

Old 08-15-2022, 04:36 PM

10,832 posts, read 4,517,327 times
Quote:
Counties where temperatures are expected to exceed 125 at least once a year on average by 2053:

Includes all of Arkansas, Illinois, Louisiana and Missouri with portions of Iowa, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Texas, Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Florida, New Mexico, Arizona and California.

oh FFS people like to make things up. its 30 years away and the warming we have experienced, if it increases linearly (it wont, it never does, it increases asymptotically to where it is physically limited by the moisture in the air on a planet that is ***3/4ths WATER***

I dont think here in PA we got above 97 as the highest recorded in july during a HEAT WAVE. so it has to increase 28 degrees in 30 years. so unless they have a plan to move the earth closer to the sun or have our system capture another star.

the shame is, someone paid money for this crap.

Old 08-15-2022, 04:37 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,732,843 times
Quote:

Yes, anybody can predict anything and most have an agenda.
Attached Thumbnails
New Study Predicts Counties Where Temperatures Will Reach 125 degrees by 2053-scientists.png  

Old 08-15-2022, 05:31 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,855,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
oh FFS people like to make things up. its 30 years away and the warming we have experienced, if it increases linearly (it wont, it never does, it increases asymptotically to where it is physically limited by the moisture in the air on a planet that is ***3/4ths WATER***

I dont think here in PA we got above 97 as the highest recorded in july during a HEAT WAVE. so it has to increase 28 degrees in 30 years. so unless they have a plan to move the earth closer to the sun or have our system capture another star.

the shame is, someone paid money for this crap.
I'm pretty sure that the Dems pulled this idea from an episode of Super Friends, where Lex Luthor managed to learn how to speak "flying space monkey", and he convinced the millions -- and millions -- of the flying space monkeys to pull on the planet Earth like they were opening a banana, thus pulling it closer to the sun. Of course, ol' Lex covered his bases by setting Superman up with a stripper named "Kryptonite", so it looked like it was going to be a slam dunk for Lex.

But......

Superman posted on Instagram about his plight, and the Wonder Twins -- after Jayna explained to Zan what a stripper actually was -- transformed into a total eclipse. Once the monkeys couldn't see the sun, they gave up and went back to doing what flying space monkeys do.

True story. I remember Hunter Biden telling me that he watched it all go down when he was listing to "The Needle and the Spoon".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies