Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2022, 08:33 AM

5,983 posts, read 2,236,544 times

Advertisements

Would Florida be required to provide examples in this court case?

I imagine that if DeSantis and Florida DOE had a big issue with CRT then they could provide 100s of examples of CRT that are in Florida schools that are considered harmful to students to justify the need for the legislation. Florida is a big state with lots of schools and colleges. If CRT is an issue in Florida then there should be no problem providing those examples to the court if they exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2022, 10:00 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Would Florida be required to provide examples in this court case?
Probably. There is a violation of the Constitution is a law is 'unconstitutionally vague'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
I imagine that if DeSantis and Florida DOE had a big issue with CRT then they could provide 100s of examples of CRT that are in Florida schools that are considered harmful to students to justify the need for the legislation. Florida is a big state with lots of schools and colleges. If CRT is an issue in Florida then there should be no problem providing those examples to the court if they exist.
Remember. we're talking about college here.

The Stop W.O.K.E. Act is the direct descendant of FL laws which criminalized the colleges' teaching about integration.

Old 08-22-2022, 12:40 PM

Well, this is good news:

Quote:
Last Thursday, August 18th, Chief U.S. District Judge Mark Walker granted a temporary injunction prohibiting the Stop WOKE Act from being enforced. Within his 44-page reasoning for restricting the new law that Florida's Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis championed, he berated the legislation, saying it was "bordering on unintelligible" as he ruled it unconstitutional for violating First Amendment rights.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ju...ct/ar-AA10VIGl

At the start of the judge's ruling:

Quote:
Recently, Florida has seemed like a First Amendment upside down. Normally, the First Amendment bars the state from burdening speech, while private actors may burden speech freely. But in Florida, the First Amendment apparently bars private actors from burdening speech, while the state may burden speech freely.
https://www.corporatedefensedisputes...desantis-1.pdf

The current injunction seems to be only on workplace training. We'll have to wait and see what the judges feel about a restraint on colleges.

Last edited by Manigault; 08-22-2022 at 12:50 PM..

Old 08-22-2022, 04:10 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,152,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Your attempts to derail this conversation with childish pedantic nonsense is boring.
There is nothing childish or simplistic about asking participants in this discussion to define the parameters of the debate, and it is most certainly not an attempt to derail the conversation; my questions were an attempt to help focus it.

Old 08-22-2022, 06:42 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
Teachers have no right to privacy in a government school. Taxpayers should have the right to monitor what is being taught to their kids.
Parents have always had a right and encouraged to be involved. But a few parents with deep pockets went bezerk over some stuff they saw in other states and waved their dollar bills at DeSantis. He spends a lot of time in Utah smelling that clean mountain air from the LDS churches.
Our state never had anything going on of the laws he implemented. Zero. I will inject crazy rouge teachers to include predators in every walk of life to include teachers, but never was there a curriculum or teaching of any kind.
He flexed his muscles against the schools with the mask mandates. Like Dade county superintendent stated.
I have 30,000 students in my district- only 30 families complained of masking. The man in a bully. But there is big money in Utah. Soon we will be wearing long pink dresses with our hair in a bun. Parents need to read between the line. Seriously!

Old 08-23-2022, 06:07 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Parents have always had a right and encouraged to be involved. But a few parents with deep pockets went bezerk over some stuff they saw in other states and waved their dollar bills at DeSantis. He spends a lot of time in Utah smelling that clean mountain air from the LDS churches.
Our state never had anything going on of the laws he implemented. Zero. I will inject crazy rouge teachers to include predators in every walk of life to include teachers, but never was there a curriculum or teaching of any kind.
He flexed his muscles against the schools with the mask mandates. Like Dade county superintendent stated.
I have 30,000 students in my district- only 30 families complained of masking. The man in a bully. But there is big money in Utah. Soon we will be wearing long pink dresses with our hair in a bun. Parents need to read between the line. Seriously!
Let me know when you are forced to wear a dress and shuffle along barefooted, looking down Where is that in the legislative process and who is sponsoring it? It's about to be law right? Have you bought your dress yet???

Get. Out. Of Your. Social. Feedback Loop.

I've never seen so many adult p-ssoed off that they can't show 5 year olds how to have sex.

There is no word for it.

Old 08-23-2022, 06:13 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron31 View Post
Nice try, but there are nearly 200 separate countries on this planet, most of them speaking different languages, with different currencies... lots of differences. I daresay, there are certain things that it would be beneficial for every human to learn growing up, not the least of which is how to spot the earmarks of propaganda.
You were proposing a one size fits all approach to education, don't back peddle over little things like translating into different languages and teaching different cultures.

And we need fed curriculum in govt schools to teach the kids to identify propaganda?

Old 08-23-2022, 06:53 AM

As the judge explained:

Quote:
“If Florida truly believes we live in a post-racial society, then let it make its case,” Walker wrote in his ruling. “But it cannot win the argument by muzzling its opponents. Because, without justification, the (law) attacks ideas.”
https://floridapolitics.com/archives...stop-woke-act/

Old 08-23-2022, 07:02 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times
Teachers are complaining because they don't get to sexualize and control the minds of small children. That is what is really happening.

Old 08-23-2022, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Teachers are complaining because they don't get to sexualize and control the minds of small children. That is what is really happening.
The lawsuit concerns colleges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies