Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2022, 01:33 PM

12,963 posts, read 13,679,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
But the people have not spoken.

If they had wanted this, Liz "Sitting Bull" Warren or Bernie Sanders would have won the Democratic nomination. They did not.

Biden himself said he could not legally do this. Congress has that duty. Pelosi correctly agreed.

And if gets away with it, guess what? The GOP will begin doing similar things. Don't tell me they won't. They will unilaterally do something that will outrage you. And their cheerleaders here will laugh at you and say something inane like, The People Have Spoken as they high five and spew hypocrisy.

There is a word for that: Corruption. And you are cheering it on like a 13 year old at Justin Bieber concert.
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/0...-debt-00053826

"For months after he had entered office, President Joe Biden had punted on his campaign promise of forgiving up to $10,000 in student loans."

A promise is a promise ,yes?

It would be futile to try to engage Republicans on any issue. Use the pen. They hate legislation that benefits everyone like ACA.

Old 08-27-2022, 01:48 PM

10,118 posts, read 1,025,860 times
NO STUDENT LOANS!
Both my children graduated with honors from CW Post/LIU. They received some scholarship money due to good grades in high school. They both had part time jobs to help with the cost.
Both sets of grandparents (who grew up during the Depression) also helped out.
My exhusband and I paid for all of the rest.

but we don't get any reward for doing the right thing.

Old 08-27-2022, 03:02 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandorrei View Post
NO STUDENT LOANS!
Both my children graduated with honors from CW Post/LIU. They received some scholarship money due to good grades in high school. They both had part time jobs to help with the cost.
Both sets of grandparents (who grew up during the Depression) also helped out.
My exhusband and I paid for all of the rest.

but we don't get any reward for doing the right thing.
Of course you do. Your reward is knowing you were able to provide your children with a good education and get them started as adults debt free.

Our daughter got a full tuition scholarship based on grades and test scores and we saved enough to pay for room and board. I'm proud of all of us. But I don't begrudge other people who were not in as fortunate of circumstances from getting debt relief. Why would I?

Old 08-27-2022, 03:06 PM

6,389 posts, read 2,712,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Presidents always put forth an agenda for things they want done. Next step is to lobby the public with the idea. Then convince Congress to do it.

So what is the problem here?
And since that didn't work, he just decided to change the rules himself.

The problem is that he very likely does NOT have the authority to change the rules. But of course, if this gets overturned, it will be the "Big Bad Conservative Court" and not the Democrats who knew it had no legal standing.

Old 08-27-2022, 03:07 PM

43,115 posts, read 18,281,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Of course it is. It's so patently obvious that I can't believe people can't see it.

It's immoral as hell also.
And Biden said he could do so much more if both the House and Senate are majority Democrat. We'd get "free this" and "free that”

Old 08-27-2022, 03:09 PM

6,389 posts, read 2,712,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
And it was a campaign promise he made to a generation of voters. I have two kids in the generation this affects, and trust me, and they have been watching and waiting for this.
Thanks for showing us how easy it is to bribe the youth of today with the promise of paying off their loans.

Old 08-27-2022, 04:38 PM

4,562 posts, read 4,103,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Biden has no authority to cancel these loans, and its unconstitutional without a Congressional approval. This will be challenged and likely head to the Supreme Court. Biden and his cohorts absolutely know this, but its just a carrot on a string to help Democrat Congressional seats.
Sort of how Republicans use the Christian Right who don’t care about the poor but hate abortions and gay people.

It’s kinda fun seeing Dems use Republican tactics and see the right freak out. It will be entertaining to see how it plays out in November.

Old 08-27-2022, 04:44 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,362,412 times
If they are going to give my money away, I'd rather see that they give it to cancer patients

Education is a choice, CANCER IS NOT!

Old 08-27-2022, 04:47 PM

52,268 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
And it was a campaign promise he made to a generation of voters. I have two kids in the generation this affects, and trust me, and they have been watching and waiting for this.
You signed for the loan, you pay it back. You or your kids, who ever it may be.

Get up off of your ass and pay the damn bill.

Old 08-27-2022, 04:50 PM

5,984 posts, read 2,238,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
You're falling for the MSM talking points. The PPP program was designed by the legislative branch to offer loans that would be forgiven if certain conditions were met. As long as those conditions are met, then having the loan partially or fully forgiven is the rule, not the exception. It's being spun as if having the loans forgiven is somehow immoral or illegal when that was the entire point of the program. The PPP program isn't even relevant to the conversation on Student Loan forgiveness. The only commonality between the two is that they both use taxpayer money. Other than that, they are as different as different can be.
Sounds like a handout to me.

Florida and many other states never shut down but that didn't stop Matt Gatez and others from southern states from taking the loans, i mean government handouts.

Just a handout with a fancy name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies