Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you Liberal or Conservative...or Moderate ?
Are you Liberal ? 28 26.92%
Are you Conservative? 31 29.81%
Are you Moderate? 26 25.00%
Are you none of the above? 19 18.27%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2022, 07:28 AM

15,840 posts, read 6,543,563 times

Advertisements

Probably like a majority of the people in the US, I have some conservative leanings and some liberal ideas; it depends on the topic. I'm not a member of either party, and I've voted both ways (often holding my nose while doing so). I do find the current political divide unacceptable, and blame it on the plurality voting system. Yes I'm college educated.

Old 08-28-2022, 07:28 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
I consider myself to be a moderate conservative because on most issues, I am conservative or neutral, although I am mostly pro-choice and pro-climate, although not a climate extremist/activist -- and I have no extreme views on any issue.

I have become increasingly conservative since about 2010, btw, although I am NOT a Trump supporter, although I did vote for him in 2020.

Old 08-28-2022, 07:29 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I’m somewhere between a conservative and a moderate. I think of myself as a radical left wing conservative. I think of a moderate as not standing for anything....wishy washy.

Strict constitution
Small government
Less wasteful government spending, more spending on mental health, drug addiction, and homelessness.
Lock up criminals and throw away the key.
Strong families
Pro choice
Marry who you want.

Old 08-28-2022, 07:37 AM

573 posts, read 260,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I have been a moderate for a long time, it has nothing to do with Trump. I will say that your follow-up question is a little problematic as you don't indicate what you mean by "conservative." I don't think there is an accepted definition of what that means anymore as many will say Trump is the epitome of conservative and many others will say he is anything but conservative.
I would say Trump is a member of the Populist movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G_O...hannel=Mr.Beat

Old 08-28-2022, 08:13 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,761 times
When talking left/right or moderate what some need to understand is that fiscal/economical issues have nothing or very little to do with cultural/social issues. There are many who could lean left one way and right the other. That being said the majority vote with their wallets.

Old 08-28-2022, 08:50 AM

21,136 posts, read 19,714,475 times
I'm about as conservative as one can get, but I disagree with the term "far right", which implies authoritarian fascism. That to me describes the left, even the moderate left, who want a big government and government control over business. On social issues, I'm ultra-conservative, but I think most social issues should be decided by popular vote, and I support the will of the people even if it is contrary to mine. I mean, how can I be against liberals aborting future liberals? Seems like a win for conservatives who are not killing their offspring.

As for Trump, I agree with most of the things he wanted to do. Unfortunately he was not able to carry through with a lot due to the swamp. But I give him credit for what he was able to do. I wish he had a better personality, but on the other hand, he got a lot of conservative leaning independents out to vote who otherwise might not have.

Old 08-28-2022, 09:01 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Depending on the issue I swing either way but if I had a chart mine would show I swing slight right of center. People like Musk and Tulsi Gabbard swing slight left of center and that's ok either way, the problem is the left like Hochul, Newsom, Biden administration and majority of democrats in congress have gone full tilt far left making anybody to the right of them far right in their minds.

Last edited by lionking; 08-28-2022 at 09:17 AM..

Old 08-28-2022, 09:12 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The First View Post
What makes you vote the way you do?
  • Are you Liberal?
  • Are you Conservative?
  • Are you Moderate?
Voters without a college degree, who make up a large but shrinking share of the Democratic Party’s coalition, have moved further away from the “liberal” identifier than those with a bachelor’s degree or a postgraduate education, with lesser-educated voters of color moving faster away from the left than their white counterparts.

While the nonwhite shift is pronounced by education, Black and Hispanic voters with a college education have also become less likely to identify as liberal in recent years.

https://morningconsult.com/2022/08/1...-conservative/

A Large Majority of Americans identify as Moderate.

NEXT QUESTION:
  • Are you Liberal because you hate Donald Trump?
  • Are you Moderate because you hate Donald Trump?
  • Are you Conservative because you Like Donald Trump?

I don't hate anybody.

YouASSume way too much about what other people think.

Old 08-28-2022, 09:14 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Libertarian was left off the list and that's what I am. I like Donald Trump for how strong he made our country, but he needed to keep his mouth shut and stay off of Twitter. Actions speak louder than words.
"but he needed to keep his mouth shut and stay off of Twitter."

He did it to CONTROL what the media HAD to report on.

It took away them being able to control the narrative.

A great strategy, IMO.

Many on the left never caught on.

Old 08-28-2022, 09:25 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Well, I say I’m conservative bc I have conservative values. But I’m libertarian philosophically. A better descriptor might be voluntaryist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies