Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2022, 03:33 PM

10,106 posts, read 7,775,270 times

Advertisements

I'm curious which way you are leaning now after you've seen the path that Biden and the left are taking us.

What is it that helped you make that decision?

Old 09-09-2022, 03:41 PM

13,075 posts, read 7,515,583 times
Neither. There are more paths to get there. Both extreme paths end in a dictatorship.
YPMV

Old 09-09-2022, 09:17 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,426,727 times
This is a good topic. As an Independent I have leaned in the middle, unless I felt that people's civil rights were being violated. In other words, I am conservative on fiscal policy, pro gun laws etc. But I don't think it's my VOTE to tell a woman what to do with her body or to have to decide and vote on whether a same sex couple should be able to get married or not.

I want to believe that most Americans are leaning more moderate, and the extreme leaning left and right are in the minority.

Old 09-09-2022, 09:23 PM

19,528 posts, read 9,546,813 times
I might fall over no matter which way I lean. Can’t have that!

Old 09-09-2022, 10:37 PM

29,824 posts, read 24,917,786 times
The funny thing is, we don't have moderates anymore. Technically, I am a moderate, but no one would believe me if I said that today. I supported both Bill Clinton and Al Gore for president, although I was in my teens at the time. I even supported Obama as I despised McCain and felt it was time for a minority president. I also believed FDR was our greatest president and I thought the Red Scare was a excessive. Most of this was due to being exposed to leftist ideas in the school/indoctrination system.

Sometime during Obama's 1st term, I did a complete 180. I would never support a democrat for the next decade. I think it was Obama joking about "shovel ready" jobs not being so shovel ready anymore that caused me to reevaluate what the democratic party is all about. As far as I am concerned, they have jump the shark about a year ago. I would be much happier if the DNC was replaced by a viable, non corrupted political party. I am by no means a fan of the GOP, especially after they let me down with the infighting while Trump was president. That political party is useless as far as I'm concerned, but I don't think they are evil. Hence, I go with the lesser of two evils, without much enthusiasm.

Old 09-09-2022, 10:52 PM

31,074 posts, read 22,094,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
The funny thing is, we don't have moderates anymore. Technically, I am a moderate, but no one would believe me if I said that today. I supported both Bill Clinton and Al Gore for president, although I was in my teens at the time. I even supported Obama as I despised McCain and felt it was time for a minority president. I also believed FDR was our greatest president and I thought the Red Scare was a excessive. Most of this was due to being exposed to leftist ideas in the school/indoctrination system.

Sometime during Obama's 1st term, I did a complete 180. I would never support a democrat for the next decade. I think it was Obama joking about "shovel ready" jobs not being so shovel ready anymore that caused me to reevaluate what the democratic party is all about. As far as I am concerned, they have jump the shark about a year ago. I would be much happier if the DNC was replaced by a viable, non corrupted political party. I am by no means a fan of the GOP, especially after they let me down with the infighting while Trump was president. That political party is useless as far as I'm concerned, but I don't think they are evil. Hence, I go with the lesser of two evils, without much enthusiasm.
I'm with you on almost all points, except I left after voting for Bill twice. If 90s Bill Clinton minus the Mysogemy was on the ticket I would vote for him again.

Old 09-09-2022, 11:03 PM

4,507 posts, read 4,047,324 times
Ask em again at 3 am the night after the election.

Old 09-09-2022, 11:10 PM

13,461 posts, read 4,295,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
. If 90s Bill Clinton minus the Mysogemy was on the ticket I would vote for him again.

That was the least of his crimes. He told people to lie under oath in a case and bribed them with federal jobs. You liked the economy because the cold war ended and the U.S. saved lots of money and invested in the private sector. That isn't coming again.

Old 09-10-2022, 05:04 AM

37,469 posts, read 61,415,702 times
I am rather satisfied as a registered Libertarian.

Fiscally conservative, and Socially liberal.

The only part of their platform that I do not fully support is the idea of Open Borders.

Old 09-10-2022, 05:25 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
This is a good topic. As an Independent I have leaned in the middle, unless I felt that people's civil rights were being violated. In other words, I am conservative on fiscal policy, pro gun laws etc. But I don't think it's my VOTE to tell a woman what to do with her body or to have to decide and vote on whether a same sex couple should be able to get married or not.

I want to believe that most Americans are leaning more moderate, and the extreme leaning left and right are in the minority.
" But I don't think it's my VOTE to tell a woman what to do with her body"

What is your position on mandatory seat belt and helmet laws?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies