Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2022, 06:32 AM

3,234 posts, read 3,187,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
The funny thing is, we don't have moderates anymore. Technically, I am a moderate, but no one would believe me if I said that today. I supported both Bill Clinton and Al Gore for president, although I was in my teens at the time. I even supported Obama as I despised McCain and felt it was time for a minority president. I also believed FDR was our greatest president and I thought the Red Scare was a excessive. Most of this was due to being exposed to leftist ideas in the school/indoctrination system.

Sometime during Obama's 1st term, I did a complete 180. I would never support a democrat for the next decade. I think it was Obama joking about "shovel ready" jobs not being so shovel ready anymore that caused me to reevaluate what the democratic party is all about. As far as I am concerned, they have jump the shark about a year ago. I would be much happier if the DNC was replaced by a viable, non corrupted political party. I am by no means a fan of the GOP, especially after they let me down with the infighting while Trump was president. That political party is useless as far as I'm concerned, but I don't think they are evil. Hence, I go with the lesser of two evils, without much enthusiasm.
I read this and thought how did Andywire read my mind so perfectly? I’d write the same thing but everyone would think it’s just a duplicate post. So all I’ll say is ditto to the above.

Old 09-10-2022, 06:33 AM

24,471 posts, read 17,207,356 times
I have always leaned to the Right in my politics, being Pro Business, Pro Second Amendment, Pro America etc..

I have in the past voted for Democrats because I believed they were the best person for the job at the time but today the party has swung so far to Left it is ridiculous and dangerous.

I liked Trump and his MAGA because how could anyone rally, more like RAGE against Making America Great Again for every citizen and LEGAL Immigrant but boy did the Dems ever Rage and Riot.

What the Dems did to Trump and by extension anyone that dared to hop on the Pro America Train is disgusting and now that Biden has declared War on Trump supporters the Democrats simply do not deserve our votes. I do not see how anyone with an ounce of common sense can support their Anti American policies.

Old 09-10-2022, 06:41 AM

7,345 posts, read 3,517,785 times
although the republicans are absolutely useless for the most part, and their abortion stances are on the wrong side of what people actually want (unlimited abortion up to birth) they are by far the lesser of two evils.

Old 09-10-2022, 07:09 AM

7,908 posts, read 3,453,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
How curiously bizarre. Ten times more in tune with the country and what it needs? Seriously? If you believe that, what pray tell are you not “thrilled” with?

Perhaps you might like to share with us the highlights of these major points to which you feel the left are so in tune with? Because, as I see it, virtually every item on the left’s agenda seems to be totally destructive of everything the country needs.

Help me understand how we can look at the same thing and yet see the exact opposite thing?
I guess he's saying the country wants to destroy itself and the left is in tune with that.

Old 09-10-2022, 07:10 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,371,755 times
Neither.

As ever, my choices will depend on the specific candidates in question. I don't imagine that changing in my lifetime.

Old 09-10-2022, 07:11 AM

37,450 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I consider myself moderate/independent. Like the posters above I am more conservative (as I understand that term to mean) and more liberal on social issues. I am unaffiliated and can't see myself registering Libertarian but I sometimes try to summarize my views as "Libertarian lite."

As for the question of the thread, I think it is misworded. I haven't leaned any more in one direction. It is the major parties that are pulling further apart and becoming more extreme. So I think the question is, when seeing the path the country is taking, are you leaning more toward a particular party. For me, the widening divide has meant that I am re-evaluating my usual approach to voting which is to vote for the Republican or Democrat that I think is the better (or, sadly more likely, less objectionable) and will be doing much more third-party and write-in voting in the mid-terms. And unless something changes drastically, also in 2024.
In the last presidential election we had another female candidate and she was on all ballots in all 50 states. But she was not allowed into any of the televised debates.

Old 09-10-2022, 07:14 AM

37,450 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
... I agree with Biden, the Trump part of the GOP is a threat to Democracy and America.
I am happy to live in a Constitutional Republic.

Quote:
... This crazy talk about the election being stolen and rigged is ridiculous and is a threat to our voting rights and Democracy. How can a country stand when one side looses it will always claim the election was rigged and stolen?
An echo of Al Gore anyone?

Old 09-10-2022, 07:23 AM

11,778 posts, read 7,992,594 times
I can’t say if or if not the election was rigged or stolen nor do I have any evidence but after learning more about the true colors of the far left wing and what they are really after, I wouldn’t put it past them if they did. They condemn Republicans for being authoritarian but they are just as authoritative or worse. They want control over our rights for their personal prosperity, self interest and financial gain and the irony of it is they call themselves progressive while doing this.

Old 09-10-2022, 07:31 AM

15,054 posts, read 8,624,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Initially, I stayed out of politics. I did not vote when Obama was running because I didn’t like either contender and even as a black, I did not agree with electing Obama only because he was a ‘minority’. I wasn’t a fan of Bush either due to 9/11, the recession and war over Iraq.

In terms of my political values? I was moderate to slightly left leaning until fairly recently. I wasn’t a fan of Trump during his presidency at all but more and more I started to see the misleading information and press manipulation by the left and my opinion of the left changed drastically over the last few years, it also didn’t help that I live in a very progressive city and saw day to day as they over-prioritized minorities and homelessness at the expense of taxpayers public safety and prosperity with some of those politicians snagging up privately owned businesses and property after they could no longer operate as intended with a weakened customer base. Then the whole Biden fiasco and the condemning of anything and anyone who did not align with their agenda, even if it would hurt minorities (hint hint, these were the people who were most reluctant to become vaccinated) just reeked of hypocrisy. Overall their policies are cancer and will have much more devastating impact to this country.
You seem to recognize the obvious, unlike many, regarding the devastating impact leftist policies impose economically, and to a smaller degree, socially. These leftist policies are well characterized as a “cancer”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post

Currently, while I don’t agree with everything Republicans do, I overall favor their policies more in the aspect that they prevent government overreach on a macro level until it comes to religious matters some would argue. I don’t know for sure if they cling to those values because they truly believe them or if they are just pandering for votes however. As far as immigration, I’m a mixed bag of opinions on that.

I am okay with immigration and not for anti-immigration policies that Trump seemed to allude to, however; I think the way illegal immigration is being handled by the left is disastrous. They’re treating people who have no legal birthright to this country or citizenship as citizens and giving them our benefits. That needs to end. I do think there should be more programs or opportunities for people to migrate to the U.S. who would not ordinarily be able to afford to do it… but if they get here and abuse the privilege then they immediately be deported as well.
When discussing “immigration”, it’s essential to separate and distinguish between legal and illegal immigration. The suggestion that Trump was anti-immigration is wholly inaccurate though. And it amazes me that no matter how many times it is expressly stated that it is illegal immigration viewed as the problem, the anti-immigration meme is nevertheless attached. That’s an outright fraud.

Trump was very specific in his logical and business like views on how our immigration system needs to be restored to a more reasonable and beneficial system, which may not appeal to leftists, but surely does make perfect sense to anyone who is interested in what is best for the country and ALL of our fellow citizens.

Trump was certainly anti-illegal-immigration, as every last one of us should be. He was also an outspoken proponent of legal immigration, with emphasis placed on observing a more beneficial evaluation model like most of the rest of the world sanely observes, placing emphasis on being merit based, rather than needs based. Imagine that! Let’s place priority on those wanting to immigrate here based on their ability to contribute to our country, rather than take from it? Demonstrate the ability to provide for your own needs, rather than expect to be supported by the rest of us, soup to nuts. How about that as an idea? Is that anti-immigration, or is it anti-freeloader? However you frame it, it’s just basic common sense.

Just look at the immigration policies of developed nations around the word … most all of them have a means test in regard to who qualifies for legal residency status. Most of it focused on the person’s ability to provide for their own needs, and not become a financial burden on the country and it’s citizens, with the primary stipulation requiring the immigrant to prove a certain level of income or source of money to support himself. This isn’t freaking hard to understand … it should be as naturally understood as the need for having enough money to pay the check at the end, if you enter a restaurant, order a meal, and eat it! How hard is that for anyone to understand? CHILDREN SHOULD UNDERSTAND THIS. Children know that they can’t just grab things that don’t belong to them. How is it that grown ass adults are struggling with the concept?

If you go to the airport, you know you need a ticket to get on that plane. If you go to hotel, you know you need to pay for your room. If you go to the grocery store, you know you must have the necessary amount of money needed to pay for the stuff you put in your cart. It’s very simple, and something we all should have all understood by the time we were 5 years old.

Honestly, we American people have always demonstrated considerable generosity for those in need around the world. Countless Billions have been expended in delivering aid to those in need, be it food during a famine, or rescue and medical aide during natural disasters, or coming to the aide of those suffering attack, militarily.

But we do not have an obligation to provide for the needs AND desires of every human being on earth who wants to come here! And we absolutely have no such responsibility to take care of those who come here uninvited, and enter illegally. Just as all other nations have, we too have ports of entry which is the ONLY legal doorway to our country. Entering any other way is like a burglar entering your house through a window. You want to come inside my house? You knock on the front door and ask permission. It’s as simple as that. And if you try to sneak in from a back door or a window, you’re committing a crime, and your actions should be considered hostile, PERIOD.

Every last illegal invader sneaking into this country are criminals, by definition, regardless of their “reasons”. And every last one of them are stealing money right out of your pocket, like a thief, even from the pockets of those too stupid to notice, simply because the money was already stolen from them before hand by government taxes, and then redistributed to the second thief.

Let’s call a spade a spade here …. we have an economic crisis building. We have an affordable housing crisis firmly established as evidenced by the massive numbers of American Citizens homeless in virtually every city in America this very moment. We have former military veterans who have served this country, homeless. We have mothers and children homeless. We have children living in poverty and going to sleep hungry. Therefore not one single immigrant, legal or illegal, should be allowed into this country who cannot support themselves, until we can address the basic needs of food and shelter for the citizens who were born here!!!

Contrary to what that Dementia patient in the White House says, the true enemies of America are every last politician and idiot citizen who disagrees with this, and believes in open borders. That would include ALL democrats, and way too many RINO Republicans.

End of rant. But what one should be asking themselves is, why should anyone even have to say what I just said? Why is any of this a point of confusion for anyone?

Last edited by GuyNTexas; 09-10-2022 at 07:48 AM..

Old 09-10-2022, 07:34 AM

230 posts, read 164,859 times
I'm another one who is fiscally conservative and socially liberal. At times I've said libertarian but there is too much crazy baggage there to accept that name.

The country's current path makes me lean left fairly hard. I don't agree with everything that the Democrats want but the active racism, sexism, and imposition of specific Christian values in the current Republican outlook is wrong in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies