Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2022, 08:34 AM

3,695 posts, read 2,415,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post
Now we have the CEO of FedEx warning us that we are entering a "world-wide recession". Dow drops 300 points at opening bell. FedEx stock plummets 22% as of this writing.

FedEx CEO says he expects the economy to enter a ‘worldwide recession’
A CEO making predictions.....I assume he's got access to lots of data.....

As for the US in particular.....corporate recruiters for the largest companies that we know of are laying off many, many, many recruiters.....

Recruiters are usually the first to go.....this may be a sign.

I would not be surprised if there is a US recession and worldwide recession for many reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2022, 08:37 AM

6,035 posts, read 2,852,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
I know the delivery trucks are coming onto my street less frequently than even just a few months ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA
I would not be surprised if there is a US recession and worldwide recession for many reasons.
We already are in a recession, as the previous two quarters have had negative GDP growth.

Old 09-16-2022, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
I know the delivery trucks are coming onto my street less frequently than even just a few months ago...
OK.

Quote:
We already are in a recession, as the previous two quarters have had negative GDP growth.
Yes, the textbook definition.

Edit in: FordBronco, with do respect the GDP declined in the first and second quarter but was not negative.

For the textbook definition.....it's 2 consecutive quarters of negative growth (below 0).

Quote:
Real GDP decreased less in the second quarter than in the first quarter, decreasing 0.6 percent after decreasing 1.6 percent. The smaller decrease reflected an upturn in exports and a smaller decrease in federal government spending that were partly offset by a larger decline in private inventory investment, a slowdown in consumer spending, and downturns in nonresidential fixed investment and residential fixed investment. Imports decelerated.
Entire: https://www.bea.gov/news/2022/gross-...01.6%20percent.

Last edited by Returning2USA; 09-16-2022 at 10:04 AM..

Old 09-16-2022, 09:27 AM

291 posts, read 160,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Once you factor in all the Brandonflation, it paints an even uglier picture. It may be down 12% in raw dollars, but those dollars today buy perhaps 15% or 20% less. The inflation has been just as devastating as the moves in the stock market, if not worse.
Yep. Getting hit on both sides. Life for nearly everyone is demonstrably worse than it was in 2019.

I wish I could get this message through to Democrat voters: Vote based on POLICY, not personality.

The Pubs running in the midterms need to make this a referendum on Democratic leadership. How have things been over the last 18 months? It will get through to some people.

Old 09-16-2022, 01:22 PM

5,632 posts, read 1,769,865 times
The Biden recession is spreading across the globe.

Buckle up folks. Elections have consequences. Really nasty consequences.

Old 09-16-2022, 01:45 PM

3,113 posts, read 939,583 times
Quote:
Edit in: FordBronco, with do respect the GDP declined in the first and second quarter but was not negative.

For the textbook definition.....it's 2 consecutive quarters of negative growth (below 0).

A decline means negative. A decline of 0.6% can be written as -0.6%.

We really need to fix our public schools, like really badly.

Old 09-16-2022, 07:40 PM

11,502 posts, read 6,016,021 times
Quote:

As for the US in particular.....corporate recruiters for the largest companies that we know of are laying off many, many, many recruiters.....

Recruiters are usually the first to go.....this may be a sign.

Fed Ex ships world-wide to every nation on earth. If anybody has a pulse on the economies around the world, I would think the Fed Ex officers would be among them.

Old 09-16-2022, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
A decline means negative. A decline of 0.6% can be written as -0.6%.

We really need to fix our public schools, like really badly.
Thanks, AS.

I stand corrected.

As for public schools....I've been out of Uni for quite a while.

Old 09-16-2022, 09:23 PM

But I will add, the "textbook" definition is not followed as much these days.

Here is a more thorough definition, IMO:

Quote:
The National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) Business Cycle Dating Committee—the official recession scorekeeper—defines a recession as “a significant decline in economic activity that is spread across the economy and that lasts more than a few months.”
https://www.whitehouse.gov/cea/writt...n-a-recession/

The US is not in a recession......yet. In general, IMO.

Old 09-16-2022, 09:56 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
OK.

Yes, the textbook definition.

it was/is 1st Negative 1.6 and second a negative .6
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies